Training The Last Two Fingers For Gripper Closing

gollan

How do you train your last two fingers (pinkie and ring)?

I read Brookfield "Grip Master's Manual" that the last two fingers are the key to closing grippers. I added specific training for them. I use an inverted gripper with just the last two fingers. I am also doing plate curls with just the last two fingers. Both are very challenging. Eventually I want to progress to chinups with just 3 and then 2 fingers hooking the bar. Do you have any exercises for these small but important digits?

I am no expert, but Titan's Telegraph Key has to be useful for this purpose. You can place the last two fingers on top, thumb on the bottom, and work hard. Just a thought.

Gollan,

I like your idea about using the inverted gripper with just the last two digits...I might give that a go!

As I just read the book last week, I've already incorperated the work with the chineese balls, and I've done plate pinches with the individual fingers in the past (after reading it in Brookfield's monthly tips) so I'm going to focus on it again.

The claw curl that ironmind sells is great for individual finger training. In fact that's the only way I find that piece of equipment comfortable to use.

Jon@han

gollan,

I urge you to be CAREFUL when training your two "weak" fingers. Perhaps you can train normally, BUT place stress on those two fingers as you train. Again, be careful. You don't want to risk a tendon injury.

Those Eagle Loops might just do the trick. Do you use those? :mellow

Those Eagle Loops might just do the trick. Do you use those
I haven't tried them but I will have a look in the IM catalog. That is a good reminder about about weak finger training. I read Brookfield's ideas about single finger lifting with a weighted bucket but I'm thinking the individual fingers would first have to be "built up" a lot. I am still struggling with the concept of "tendon strengthening". For now I am limiting my finger training to pairs rather than individual digits and will increase the workload very, very slowly.

I've recently started doing ring/pinky pinching on my 4x4 wood block. To early to tell of the benefits though.

BC.

I use an inverted Heath-Type, Home Depot alligator clamp with a couple rubber bands wrapped around the mouth end to beef it up a bit. The small size fits the last two digits better than an inverted gripper for me.

Mike M.