Tips For The Outerlimit Loops?

Jonathan McMillan

What do you guys consider proper form with these? I find if I don't wedge my fingertips in close to the knuckle then the more I push my fingers out the more the loops want to slip off of my fingers.

Jon@han

I've not got them but I thought that you were meant to open your fingers to prevent this i.e the whole point of the lift.

If I do it with a jar. I postion the jar as close to the fingertips as possible.

My tip for the Outerlimit loops: Don't buy them.

I've found that loops pull my fingers out of their natural range of motion, resulting in extremely low weights, low efforts, and great discomfort. Rubber bands, sand grabbing, and "jar work" are all vastly superior excercises, IMHO.

The only useful way I've found for them is to do what you mentioned, move the loops close up to the hand.

Thanks for the replies, it's a gadgety thing for sure but prior to getting them I was never consistent on any extention training.

The sand blasting in Brookfield's new book sounds good.

I've been doing the self resistence extention exercise in the book and like it alot.

Jon@han

As far as worth-while extensor excercises go...

When I trained open-hand striking techniques in college, my teacher had me support my weight with the back side of my hand in a door frame. You brace the backs of your fingers on the door frame, lock your arm tight, and then lean, supporting the lean with the braced fingers. It developed some pretty decent extensor strength. Then you do the same with the palm side of your hand. After a while, your open hand strength is quite amazing. Then you jab a guy in the pec or thigh with your finger tips... ouch.

Edited by bender

Bender,

Was that exercise designed to help you train in case you got in a jam in a doorway?

:stuart

Serioulsy sounds like it'd be quite effective, and it'll be something i can do at work!

Jon@han

Caught in a jam... :unsure

It's just like Brookfields manual resistance excercise, except you use body weight. It also calls on a total body lock-off, something more practical for functional strength. It hits bi's, tri's, delts, pecs, lats and obliques.

Edited by bender

I've found that I'm most comfortable with the loops around the last joint of my fingers and my thumb jammed in as far as it will go. It's always the thumb that slips off first for me.

As a training tool I think they're OK, but not the best thing Ironmind have produced. For one thing they restrict you to one position only, and one large-handed guy in my gym can't get them on to his fingers at all!

Andy.