New 2 Armwrestling

Winnie

Hi everybody!

I'll start with introducing myself!:) I'm Kevin, a 16 year old teen from Belgium. Since like 10 months i have been really into lifting especialy bodybuilding/powerlifting. But already from the start i had armwrestling in my head. Now this week i started thinking about it and i want to really get serious with it! Now i got some experience about lifts etc but almost nothing towards armwrestling. Herefor i joined this forum ofcourse :D. Now by this thread i would like you guys, if you don't mind, to give me advice about how to diet & how to train specific for armwrestling. Today i already checked some of the vids of Strong Joe (not sure about his nmae here thought). Since it ain't such a known sport yet in Belgian which i really want to change!

Kind regards,

kevin

Most important thing is to get in touch with other armwrestlers from Belgium for training etc.:

Willi Deneumostier: waf@brasdefer.be

Olivier Heuse: olivier.heuse@skynet.be

Both can name you more contact persons in your area, I think.

Also you can get in touch with beligium armwrestlers at the tournament in Rochefort in July:

BELGIUM INTERNATIONAL

TOURNAMENT ROCHEFORT 2010

July 23-24 - Rochefort , Belgium

July 22 - Thursday

TEAMS ARRIVALS

Weigh-in - 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

July 23 - Friday

Weigh-in - 09 a.m. to 12 a.m.

Weigh-in at the cultural centre (centre of the town) ROCHEFORT

01 p.m. - COMPETITION start

Mens Masters -80, 80 kg

Womens Left -65, -70, +70 kg

Mens Left -65, -75, -85, -95, +95 kg

Disabled if more then 2 competitors

Juniors -18, born in 2002 and before

Open categories

7 p.m. - FINALS

Awards ceremonies after each final

July 24 - Saturday

Weigh-in - 09 a.m. to 12.00 a.m.

1 p.m. - COMPETITION start

Mens Right -65, -70, -75, -80, -85, -90, -100, +100 kg.

Womens Right -65 -70, +70 kg

6 p.m. - FINALS

Awards ceremonies after each final

Edited by Florian Kellersmann

Thanks for the fast reply! Even tho before i get in touch with more profesional armwrestlers i would like to get myself stronger. I know biceps, underarm & wrist are the most inportant muscle groups in the sport, aswell as the grip & finger strenght. How could i train those last 2 without grippers, or is this impossibel ? I'll ask my grandfather to make some handles to work the wrist: got any ideas maybe ? I was thinking to work with weights 2 or 3x a week (will make a training schedule later today which i'll post during the evening) and than one session with my mate who lives very near or my dad since they're like equal/(bit) less strong than me. How about the diet, is it the same as with "normal" weightlifting or something totally diffrent ? Today i searched the web for armwrestling tables sales in Belgium...Found noone :(

You should get in touch for practice with any professional armwrestler that you can. Don't waste any time in doing so. Yes, you should start training as best you can, but you should meet up with and practice with professionals as soon as you can. They're a lot more knowledgeable than you, and you will get better much more quickly than if you wait until you feel you are "strong enough" to practice. Otherwise you will likely wander aimlessly until you finally do find a more experienced person to help you out. Plus, you won't get any better practicing against people who don't know what they're doing.

As for diet which you seemed pretty concerned about, just eat healthily. There is no armwrestling specific diet. Sure, if you have experience with a "weight lifting" diet then just go with that.

I don't think my parents want to drive me to Rochefort (which is situated at the other side of my country) just to learn a hobby :P

Right now i created my training program, first i just had bicep,forearm & wrist but i searched a bit and triceps + shoulder seem to be very important to so i included these to :)

Biceps :

Dumbbell Hammer Curl 4(sets) 5-8(reps)

(Partial) Barbell(EZ or Straight bar) icep Curl 4(sets) 5-8(reps)

Forearms :

Forearm Curl 4 5-8

Reserve Forearm Curl 4 5-8

Triceps :

Skullcrusher 4 5-8

Partial/Close Grip Bench Press 4 5-8

Shoulders :

Military Press 4 5-8

Lateral Raise 4 5-8

Wrists :

Wrist Rotations 4 5-8

Wrist Curls 4 5-8

I will do this schema 2 times a week, just need to find a arm wrestling table so i can do sessions as a 3rd workout.

You guys like it or is it just shit ? :D

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by Winnie

Here is an armwrestling specific training schedule directly from Engin Terzi. Take of it what you will:

sunday: armwrestling

wednesday:4 x 8 push ups on fist

4 x 8 military press

6 sets of butterfly training (2 sets of dynamics and 4 sets of static holds)

4 x 8 dumbell tricep behind the neck

thurday: 2 sets of hammer curl (full motion)

2 sets of hammer curl (half motion)

4 sets of wrist curls

2 sets of static hammer by thick strap hanging on hand

2 sets of static hammer by thick strap hanging on wrist,which will have heavier load

3 sets of dynamic pull ups on a flat wood

3 sets of static rotator training by the cable

3 sets of static rolling thunder pull up

3 sets of front shoulder raise

sunday: 2 sets of full motion bicep curls

3 sets of half motion scott curls

3 sets of static front wrist hold with a dumbell

2 sets of dynamic rowing

2 sets of static rowing

3 sets of rotator training by strap hanging weight

3 sets of finger curls with dumbell

3 sets of front shoulder raise

wednesday:2 sets of full motion hammer curls

2 sets of half motion hammer curls

3 sets of wrist curls

3 sets of static rubber band back pressure

3 sets of static pull ups

3 sets of static rubber band rotator training

3 sets of front shoulder training

sunday: armwrestling

So biceps,triceps,shoulders,underarm & wrist are the most important muscles involved to arm wrestling ? :) That's a good start already :D

Kind regards,

Kevin

Anyone got some more advice ? Including like while pulling with my dad or mate, maybe some site/shop to buy tables international/Belgian ?

Kind regards,

Kevin

Anyone got some more advice ? Including like while pulling with my dad or mate, maybe some site/shop to buy tables international/Belgian ?

Kind regards,

Kevin

You're YOUNG... but not unbreakable...

so take anyway some day of rest.

Table training is good ONLY with someone that can teach you how to pull in the right way and if he's stronger is better...

Train at table once o twice a week NOT WHEN YOU TRAIN WITH WEIGHTS... and for the first 2-3 months don't pull more than 40min/1hr

REST...

For the table, in europe, basically you could see for the Mazurenko's tables... it costs something like 500€ or more (without tranport)

but as seen lately I think there are some alternative... GOOD Alternatives... cause i think Mazurenko's IS THE STANDARD for WAF

but as materials are very poor.

The BEST IMHO are...

STB CUSTOMS (USA) The better i've seen on web (never seen LIVE)

PIGNATTI (Italy) Nice tables but with legs too much inside of table.. see here the pictures..

MAZURENKO (Poland) The standard...

Andrè Fredrichs from Belgium has bought one Pignatti table at the last International Tournament Here in Italy... you could try to contact him for a try.

Hope it helps.

500€ is very much in my opinion, aren't there some cheaper alternatives ? Is Andrè Flemish or from Wallonia ? Since Belgium is devided in 2 "sides", Flanders(dutch speaking) and Wallonia(french speaking).

Kind regards,

Kevin

500€ is very much in my opinion, aren't there some cheaper alternatives ? Is Andrè Flemish or from Wallonia ? Since Belgium is devided in 2 "sides", Flanders(dutch speaking) and Wallonia(french speaking).

Kind regards,

Kevin

Try to contact him here www.brasdefer.be

Frederic Andre Avenue du cor de chasse 89 1170 Bruxelles

02 6739253 fax 02 6752373 ; fredericarm@hotmail.com

USA Members!!! do you have seen live the STB CUSTOMS Tables????

• 2 weeks later...

Check out inthehook.com

Devon Larrat is the current #1 ranked armwrestler in the world, and explains the technical aspects of armwrestling. His videos are priceless in my opinion, especially if you can't practice on an armwrestling table with experienced armwrestlers.

This board is responsible for me getting started in armwrestling, there are some top level armwrestlers here.

Also check out northeastboard.com. You will find the best in the world there.

Good luck with your training!

• 1 month later...

So guys 3 months have passed... Have seen some nice strenght gains and will continue to get stronger every day:D Right now i fully focus of armwrestling training. I do alot a bicep,wrist & forarm work combined with triceps & shoulder exercises. Now i'm thinking of making a armwrestling table myself. Of course with the good materials so nothing can go wrong:D Now is my questions to guys; will it be good to watch vids carefully(mostly training from top AW'ers like for example Devon Larratt or Babaev,Voevoda) and icnlude a tabletraining once a week including enough rest with my dad(most preferly) or my best mate?

How about hand exercises, would squeezing objects like a tennisbal for example work good for hand&fingher strenght ?

Kind regards,

Winnie

Edited by Winnie

you must armwrestling table with experienced armwrestlers

you must armwrestling table with experienced armwrestlers

I already searched on a certain city (something like pullersinyourneighbourhood or something common) but those people are way to far for me. Also my parents won't drive me there just to do some pull-work i think.

Btw Pawel i love the vids you make & post on the board, they've already helped me alot:)

Edited by Winnie

My scheme now is a cicrcuit training which ill complete 2x for 2-3 times/week(mostly 2x and 1x table training):

Chin up

Close Grip Bench Press

Situp

Reverse Wrist Curl superset with Reverse DB Wrist Curl Over Bench

Wrist Curl behind Back superset with Db Wrist Curl

Dips

Lateral & Front DB Raise

Hammer Curls

Wrist(leverage excersises)

DB Fly's

Preacher Curls

Push Ups

BB Rows

Hand/fingers(going to make a machine for this which i saw in a video some time ago)

Will start with plan of table soon 2. Will see how things will work out ^^

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by Winnie

Now i revised my whole training and came up with a new schedule;

I devided my training up into 3 parts. One of those will be done at wednesday on which i'll train my back,traps,shoulders,little bit of chest & wrist. The next training will take place on friday on which i'll train bicep,tricep,abs,forearms & wrist. And than as last i'll have a table training @ sunday! :D

Now i'll list my exercises that i will perform during my training.

Wednesday

Back:

Rack pull up

Deadlift

Rack chin up

Shoulders:

Lateral raise

Military press

Rotator cuff exercises

Traps:

DB shrug

Wrist:

Front leverage

Side leverage

Back leverage

Chest:

DB fly

Friday

Biceps:

BB curl

Preacher curl

Triceps:

Dip

Close grip bench press

Forearms:

Behind the back wristcurl

Reverse curl

Wrist curl over bench

Reverse wrist curl over bench

Wrist:

Front leverage

Side leverage

Back leverage

Abs:

Decline situp

I will do 3 sets of 5-8 reps for each exercise.

Now is my question to you guys;

1: Do you like it ?

2: Do legs play any role in armwrestling besides keeping your balance & feet positioning ? Should i include some squats maybe or ain't this necessary ?

3: Will this be overtraining of arms ?

4: What about cardio in AW ?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by Winnie

hey,

I paid € 420,- for my mazurenko Table delivery included, but that was 2 years ago..

I have to say, it was worth any cent!!

And it's a life time investment ;-)

I also trained on self build armwrestling tables but you can really feel the difference (no bruises etc...)and you get a good feeling of how a table at many of the tourneys in europe will feel, like the hardness of the pads etc...

Of course there may be other tables with same qualitiy like mentioned below

the latest thing I bought was the A.R.M.Bogdanski training machine. http://www.armbogdanski.com/

there are also some nice Trainingsvideos

For me it's my most important training tool!! especially for Top Roll Training (Backpressure/Rotation/Sidepressure or the whole movement) you can do all of it and switch withing seconds from left to right hand etc...

It's not 100% perfekt and you at the beginning you have to experimet a little bit with handles and positions, but you can perform a lot of exercises which come pretty close to some armwrestling movements..

Just an opinion from me an please excuse my writing ;-)

How many sets do you perform for every exercise in your plan below??

hey,

I paid € 420,- for my mazurenko Table delivery included, but that was 2 years ago..

I have to say, it was worth any cent!!

And it's a life time investment ;-)

I also trained on self build armwrestling tables but you can really feel the difference (no bruises etc...)and you get a good feeling of how a table at many of the tourneys in europe will feel, like the hardness of the pads etc...

Of course there may be other tables with same qualitiy like mentioned below

the latest thing I bought was the A.R.M.Bogdanski training machine. http://www.armbogdanski.com/

there are also some nice Trainingsvideos

For me it's my most important training tool!! especially for Top Roll Training (Backpressure/Rotation/Sidepressure or the whole movement) you can do all of it and switch withing seconds from left to right hand etc...

It's not 100% perfekt and you at the beginning you have to experimet a little bit with handles and positions, but you can perform a lot of exercises which come pretty close to some armwrestling movements..

Just an opinion from me an please excuse my writing ;-)

How many sets do you perform for every exercise in your plan below??

Hey Winnie,

take a look at this link:

http://www.armpower.net/?page=magazyn

you can search all the magazines and at the end it always gives you some nice exercises which you could perform in the gym and are specifically for armwrestling.

I also can't understand polish, but if you take a deep look at the pictures (the size of the handels, etc..) you can get some very good infos for your trainings out of it!!! I love them!!

but as some people before mentionend.. the first priority is to meet some armwrestlers!! And if it's only for one single training!!

otherwise you won't really understand why this or that exercise will work better for gaining strength in armwrestling than doing a "normal" work out with some extra wrist/forearm exercises..