What To Avoid When Peaking On Grippers?

Cannon

For those of you who have ever done such a thing, what exercises do you avoid while trying to peak on grippers? For example, I have heard some say thick bar. Anything else that you have found will put you off grippers..?

Thanks in advance.

Any type of thickbar or pinch training for me. I also notice that the stronger my 1" vbar is, the better my gripper strength.

Thichbar .... and you want to stay away from heroin too ... it makes your grip weaker too for some reason

Do you guys include RT in thick bar? I would think so, but thought I'd clarify.

Thichbar .... and you want to stay away from heroin too ... it makes your grip weaker too for some reason

Well, mad.gif

The whole reason I was doing any of this was to get the veins in my forearms raging for easy access.

Well, mad.gif

The whole reason I was doing any of this was to get the veins in my forearms raging for easy access.

You could just smoke it in the meantime! ;)

Thickbar and wrist curls/wrist roller for me are the 2 biggest killers. DO olympic bar DL seems to smoke my grippers as well I noticed yesterday. Could barely close a #2 after my last DL set.

- Aaron

Thickbar and wrist curls/wrist roller for me are the 2 biggest killers. DO olympic bar DL seems to smoke my grippers as well I noticed yesterday. Could barely close a #2 after my last DL set.

- Aaron

This raises another question for me. Luke mentioned a while ago in his log that a set of 3 intense SW negs wiped out his grip so badly that he could barely (or couldn't) close his HG150 right after. No matter what I do during my workouts, I don't think I've ever lost the ability to close a #2. Even after a brutal grip workout--SW, chokers, negs, overcrushes, any of them. The only thing I could see wiping me out like that would be to rep out on the #2, set after set, until eventually I would not be able to shut the gripper.

So my question is basically--Are most of you left "gripless" after a hard grip workout..?

Anything that breaks down your hands.

Alcohol.

Women/children/senior citizens/the clergy.

TV.

Beaches. Resorts. Parties. Clubs.

Job, if possible.

This holds true when peaking for any strength event, not just grippers.

I could see avoiding the clergy for maybe an Ironmind cert, but otherwise...

How about in general? Do you guys feel like doing the wrong lifts while trying to gain on grippers actually ruins your ability to make gains, or just temporarily delays your ability to give a good max effort?

- Aaron

This raises another question for me. Luke mentioned a while ago in his log that a set of 3 intense SW negs wiped out his grip so badly that he could barely (or couldn't) close his HG150 right after. No matter what I do during my workouts, I don't think I've ever lost the ability to close a #2. Even after a brutal grip workout--SW, chokers, negs, overcrushes, any of them. The only thing I could see wiping me out like that would be to rep out on the #2, set after set, until eventually I would not be able to shut the gripper.

So my question is basically--Are most of you left "gripless" after a hard grip workout..?

Not usually for me, but sometimes I go a little too hard and do that. In the last couple months I know I thrashed my hands hard enough on a few occasions to not be able to close my Trainer. Not typical though and I think probably not productive either.

- Aaron

Not usually for me, but sometimes I go a little too hard and do that. In the last couple months I know I thrashed my hands hard enough on a few occasions to not be able to close my Trainer. Not typical though and I think probably not productive either.

- Aaron

I'm really glad to hear that feedback. I've been wondering lately if I've been spinning my wheels!

I could see avoiding the clergy for maybe an Ironmind cert, but otherwise...

How about in general? Do you guys feel like doing the wrong lifts while trying to gain on grippers actually ruins your ability to make gains, or just temporarily delays your ability to give a good max effort?

I actually think thickbar helps your grippers in the long run, but it takes longer to recover from it, so like you said, you'll simply need to wait longer to go for/get a decent max effort close.

I used to workout so hard that I couldnt close the #2, but I think that was hurting me instead of building me up in some ways ... it may be good for the tendons to do that once recovered, but probably not best for your muscle. Not 100% sure though.

right now I'm following the 5/3/1 principle for grippers and getting my strength back quickly

DO bending stops all progress I am making with grippers.

??? Bending gets me primed for eating grippers

Guest Bullitt

DO bending stops all progress I am making with grippers.

??? Bending gets me primed for eating grippers

When I go on a bending spree (I do not know of this moderation you speak of Master Po), My hands are fried for a while. Takes a couple weeks to start progressing again.

The worst thing I ever did to hurt my grip I dind't even accomplish. I attempted to pick up the Inch Dumbell about 5 times in a row at the Arnold this year and I think the side toward my pinky finger might have gotten 1/2 a millimeter of air one time and my forearm was pumped for nearly a week. That was probably the strangest thing I've ever experienced during any type of strength training.

Matt, you know your body better than anyone.

TEST and see.

I'm sure you keep a journal. If not, this is a good reason to start.

Don't know if it is a coincidence, but my gripper strength has went alot higher since quitting any bending.

Hammer, thick bar, pinch, and heavy rack pulls kill my grippers short term.

For overall lifts I avoid any clean, snatch, overhead squat because of the torque on the wrists. Hammer levering and thick bar smash my grippers also.

I agree...Snatch, Cleans. I'm working on these intensively the last 2-3 months and my easy #3 beats my ass 8 out of 10 times!