My Insights With The Claw Curl And Outerlimit Loop

Jonathan McMillan

First off the outerlimits loops:

Man I found these were tough, ended up doing bentover rows with 5lbs, did a few static holds with 10lbs before. My problem is I want to pinch with it :stuart

The claw curl: I really like this piece of equipment for single finger movements. Straight finger curls are more comfortable with this device and I found it was the only way to use all fingers at once. Bending the fingers during the curl would result in the strap flopping around, not good, bad feeling.

Jon@han

JOhn

I really like the claw curl too (now that it's on my pull up bar) :D

I thought the oppisite on the finger position and really was uncomfortable with both but how about that pump!

• 1 month later...

Jonathan,

Don't use the claw curl for one or two fingers. That's not what it was designed for. Use all four fingers and pull a heavy weight - I did 70 pounds today, and it was nothing. I'm thinking that I'll have to go real heavy on this just to feel something. Practice your one-finger and two-finger lifts on a lifting ring or a thick bar.

Sybersnott,

Man, 70lbs!!! Well I finally figured out a form style where I can use all my fingers without the damn strap flopping around and irritating me. I use my free hand to make sure the straps continue moving in a linear line only.

So now I'll start training it this way and I'll see if I can get up to your respectable poundages WOW!!! :yikes

Jon@han

Jonathan,

They don't call me "the great and mighty Sybersnott" fer nothing!! :yikes:whistel

Yeah, use all four fingers on it. I was doing 150# thick bar static holds today, and didn't have the chance to get anything on the claw curl, so sometime next week I'll put some poundage on it, and see what I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Outer Limit Loops this last week tried them out

on Saturday and man the most I could do with

either hand was only 20lbs :angry: what is

everyone else doing that has these????

Matt

Matt,

Don't feel too bad...I just worked up to 20lbs today and I've had these things for a while now :blush

Kindof weird, I find if I don't jam my thumb in past the first kunckle and the same with my pinky it slips off the harder I push. But get those two didgits in past those joints and the device cooperates.

Jon@han

• 8 months later...

Snott,

I got the Ironmind catalogue in the mail yesterday, and the Claw Curl looked very interesting. But it's a curl, isn't it? Somewhat akin to rolling a barbell almost out of your fingers and back up again? The way you describe it, it sounds like you use it for static lifts, not for any kind of curl-like movement with the fingers.

Just a question, though, as I am curious about possble ways to train my open-hand strength dynamically.

Solan,

I kindof stopped using the claw curl due to its akwardness...if you try to get a large rom it feels like your fingers could fall out.

I found nonstrict barbell rollups much better for FULL rom finger curls. I do them in the power rack place the bar on the pins so my fingertips are just on the side of the bar. Then I push the bar against my thighs so that I can actually do a curling motion with the fingers from a totally open hand beginning position. Something I couldn't do with the claw curl.

Jon@han

Got my Outer Limit Loops this last week tried them out

on Saturday and man the most I could do with

either hand was only 20lbs  what is

everyone else doing that has these????

I'd say 15-20 lbs is average.

Greg D'Eramo--used to post here as RiotGrip I believe--could do 60-65 lbs with the Outer Limit Loops. Way above anything I've ever heard of anyone doing.

Sounds like a good idea, Jonathan. I've been wondering if it's possible to find a set up with a revolving bar where the path of the bar is fixed, like in a smith machine, and the position of the hands are fixed, too. Maybe something like this machine, but with a revolving bar would work?

Certainly the starting rom limits the weight you use! I don't train the movement regularly but even if one did I would think that first part of the lift would be the limiting factor due to poor leverage. I think the last time I did this I was only using 115lbs.

Jon@han