Pinching 5 10's

Martin Gaisser

I was wondering if it is considered cheating to put a little chalk between the plats when pinching them. Most of the plates I see people doing look really old and rusty giving them alot more friction than new painted ones would. Anyways the plates I have are in almost new shape and very slipery so I put some chalk between them. This was the first time I've ever tried 5 10's and I got it with both hands one at a time and then did both hands together at the same time. Is this a vid worthy feat or should I wait to I can do more?

I think you're fine. Even if you only chalked your hand, the plates are bound to get mixed up over time. Plates that were outside will end up on the inside with chalk on them. Also, if the plates are new and slippery, how much chalk could possilbly stick to them?

On the other hand, try the lift once without chalking the inside plates. If you can't do it, then you know the chalk is helping, right?

Good lift!

I wouldn't consider that cheating at all, I do that sometimes and even take it a step further by using alcohol wipes on the plates to get off any and all grease so they won't slip. I also sometimes pinch lift fairly close to my body to get "on top" of it as much as I can, almost making it look like I'm using my leg to help out, but I'm not. But still, good job on the five 10s, that was one that took me awhile to get. I can't even get it left handed yet (although I did with my right).

I was wondering if it is considered cheating to put a little chalk between the plats when pinching them. Most of the plates I see people doing look really old and rusty giving them alot more friction than new painted ones would. Anyways the plates I have are in almost new shape and very slipery so I put some chalk between them. This was the first time I've ever tried 5 10's and I got it with both hands one at a time and then did both hands together at the same time. Is this a vid worthy feat or should I wait to I can do more?

I recently put a video of me lifting the 5x10 with both hands. Honestly, it is not that difficult a feat, as the lifts were done on my first ever attempts. I used "standard" brand plates, which are the type that 99.9% of people who practice this lift use. I do have some 10 that I think even Wade/Jedd would have difficulty lifting 4, let alone 5 or 6. Like everything else pinch grip related, it depends on the type, brand, surface, texture, etc of the plates being used.

With that said, I have a decent pinch and chucked up my 5x10 lifts to being a "trained" grip athlete. I had that notion shattered when my younger brother came over two days later and just walked up to the pile of 10, grabbed 5 of them, and cleaned them to his shoulder and pressblink.gif He broke 6x10 about a foot off the ground. He never trains pinch but comes over every once in a while to make me look badblush.gif

Ok. Well Carl since you seemed to think it wasn't a dificult feat I probably won't post it then even though you did post yours :yikes just messin with ya Carl. I do have a different question now though. I went back the next day to give 6 10's a shot and every time I try the lift the plate where my thumb is kicks out so far it just seems to make it impossible. So does it sound like I'm just not strong enough to get it yet or am I making a mistake with my hand placment or something?