Hitting The Power Zone.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Guest Mikael Siversson

This is mostly for you guys who have done the #3 and are taking the first step on the long road towards the #4. One thing that one first notice is how hard it is to set a #4. Today, after my regular gripper workout I did a half ass attempt with my #4. Got it to about 30 mm with a poor setting. Then I got really pissed off, grabbed the gripper and used all my microscopic power in my hands to set it properly and gave it my best shot. I had mounted a match at the end of one handle, sticking out 20 mm as this was my previous PR. I managed to set it deep (around 30-35 mm) and instantly felt that I was going to hit my sweet spot. I "flew" by the 20 mm mark by 3-4 mm, so I got it to 17 or possibly as "little" as 16 mm. An unbelievable feeling to finally set a #4 and feel that I could actually move it. To all you out there struggling with the setting I can give you one advice; work your thumbs hard with wide pinching. Also, just practice setting the gripper over and over again.

Great timing of this post. I recently attempted to start doing negatives with a #4, but found that I can't even set the thing. I was thinking that improving my thumb strength would help. Glad to hear that it will.

When I first tried a #3 I thought that it was a terribly humbling experience. Not being able to even set the #4 is far worse. You folks that are close on that bad boy are truly amazing.

:bow

I am so glad that I do not need to set the grippers. It looks like a feat in itself. I cannot imagine setting a 3 or a 4 prior to attempting a close.

That's good to know as I have a hard time even setting one of my #3's. Hopefully my blob work will set me up for a nice run at the #3 this fall. I'll also be placing some focus on strengthening my ring and pinky fingers.

Hmmm, and I thought that I was the only one who got pissed at a gripper. ;)

BC.

I'm not working on the #4. I still have my silver spring BBE to conquer! :unsure

Guest Mikael Siversson

You must have large hands. I have come across 10 #3's. The hardest one of these has a deeply set spring and is 78 mm between the handles. My easiest #4 (out of two) is only 70 mm wide but with a fairly deeply set spring. The difference difficulty (closing and setting) between them is huge. I can close that #3 on a god day but have currently 16-17 mm left on the #4. We may not mean the same thing with the term "set". I mean set in an optimal position.