Apollon's Axle Deadlift

hublifter

I guess the "respectable poundage" estimate is based on bodyweight, age, sex, leverage factors (arm length vs leg length), and deadlifting ability in general. Not to mention the most important factor in thick bar anything...HAND SIZE! I have an absolutely miserable deadlift, but I can deadlift more with an overhand grip on the AA than some of my friends that have a MUCH higher deadlift ( 100lbs), so I guess another piece of the puzzle is how much carryover do you have from the conventional size bar to the AA?

I weigh 210 and have done 300 :( in the overhand AA deadlift in competition. I'm honestly not sure if that number is respectable. I do know that my conventional deadlift is absolutely laughable. Matt Graham in the same competition did 450...

What do you weigh? How long are your hands? How old are you? How much can you deadlift with a conventional bar?

Ben Edwards

I'm 44 years old, I do not have long fingers, I weigh 240 pounds. The 450 pound 2" bar double overhand grip deadlift is INCREDIBLE, in my opinion. In Dinosaur Training, Kubik indicates that a 300 pound double overhand grip deadlift shows that you are developing "a darn good grip".

Actually Matt Graham did 540 in the 2" bar deadlift with a double overhand grip at the 2001 competition. As Ben stated he did 450 at the 2002 comp but he had 550 to his knees on an unsuccesful attempt. It should be noted that he uses a hook grip on this lift. I have never heard of anyone doing more than Matt in this lift. Just to clarify, we our bar is not an "Appollon's Axle" but it is a full 2" diameter bar and 7 ft. long. It has knurling although it is not very deep.

With no disrespect intended toward Matt, who is bull strong, any bar which can be hook-gripped during a

deadlift (or other feat) cannot TO THAT LIFTER be accurately called a thick bar lift, in my opinion.

Actually Matt Graham did 540 in the 2" bar deadlift with a double overhand grip at the 2001 competition. As Ben stated he did 450 at the 2002 comp but he had 550 to his knees on an unsuccesful attempt. It should be noted that he uses a hook grip on this lift. I have never heard of anyone doing more than Matt in this lift. Just to clarify, we our bar is not an "Appollon's Axle" but it is a full 2" diameter bar and 7 ft. long. It has knurling although it is not very deep.

Wow, does he have huge hands or what?

In Hawaii last weekend Raimonds Bergmanis won the 600 AA deadlift with 11 reps. I'm sure he used an over under grip.

I started using a hook grip when I clean the AA but haven't attempted any more than I have done conventional. With the size of Pfister's hands I'm sure he would be very close to being able to hook grip the Rolling Thunder, Inch, and MDB. I can just touch on the RT.

Wade

Joe,

Whilst I agree with the meat of what you're saying, as far I was concerned to be called a "thickbar" lift the bar simply had to be thicker than a standard Olympic bar.

Bermanis' 600 x 11 is a darn impressive piece of deadlifting.

Chris,

I can hook grip an olympic bar, and therefore, I do not

consider it as a thickbar challenge.

Thick, in my definition, refers not only to the bar diameter,

but the hand length ratio to the bar.

For example, the Inch is thickbar to most people, but if someone comes along who can hook it, then the real

challenge has been offset. :)

Joe,

Would you then say for people with very small hands (and I'nm thinking of those like Andrei Stanazek here) that an Olympic bar would be a thick bar if they cannot hook it??

As I said, I agree with your point, but 2" is still a thickbar no matter how large your hand is. I guess this is just a point about nuances really.

Chris,

The point is, as I see it, thick in relation to what hand?

To a three year old child, an olympic bar is a thick bar.

All I am saying is that if we select a bar which you can hook grip but your competitor cannot, it seems unfair

to term that bar thick to both of you.

It has less to do with bar size than hand size in relation

to that bar size, it seems to me.

Joe DePietro used to like to train with Pudgy Stockton's

1" (not 1.1") special olympic bar because his hand was so small that the .1" difference indeed made a difference to

him.

By the way, Pudgy still uses that bar, and she will this year become age 86!

Joe,

As I said, it is probably me being a bit semantic (is that the right word?) I saw the "thick" in "thickbar" to mean "thick" in relation to a standard bar, not a standard hand. Otherwise you run the danger of having a "Thickbar to everyone but Matt Graham" World Champs - you might as well say every sprinter has to run 40 paces, not 100m, which would allow for longer legs etc.