Question About 60 Common

Buccos1

I've been working on a 7" red for a couple of weeks now and been having a lot of trouble with the length. Last week I finally moved it about 5 deg. Today, I got some new 60 penny nails from Lowes and was trying them before the red again. The nail was a lot tougher than all of the other ones I've bent already. It was dullish silver, same dimensions as the ones I got from Ace hardware and Home Depot. When I tried dropping it to the floor, it did not clang like the others... barely a sound. Does anyone know about these nails? I ended up crushing it down, but it was a lot harder, especially the last inch or so.

I ended up cutting the red down to 6.25" and put a small kink in it with single IMPs. It bent to about 15 degrees (not too great but by far the best I've gotten so far with it!)

I had bought a lot of 60d's from Lowe's and the ones with the more dull finish always seemed harder to me as well. I even bought a whole box at one time and there were some that were less dull that others some even were kind of shiny and the dull ones were always the hardest. Good luck with the RED.

If you're kinking cut reds then your problem is probably with the 7" length. Do some easy/moderately easy work with 7.5" and even 8" bars. After a few workouts with that you'll have a feel for the longer steel and will kill it with ease.

i asked a similar question on another board...the 60d i have is harder than a G5x1/4. The Nails vary sometimes by as much as 100lbs.

I had bought a lot of 60d's from Lowe's and the ones with the more dull finish always seemed harder to me as well. I even bought a whole box at one time and there were some that were less dull that others some even were kind of shiny and the dull ones were always the hardest. Good luck with the RED.

i asked a similar question on another board...the 60d i have is harder than a G5x1/4. The Nails vary sometimes by as much as 100lbs.

That makes a lot of sense. I had no idea there was so much variance with the 60ds.

If you're kinking cut reds then your problem is probably with the 7" length. Do some easy/moderately easy work with 7.5" and even 8" bars. After a few workouts with that you'll have a feel for the longer steel and will kill it with ease.

I recently bought a bunch of yellows to work on the 7" length. I will try to find some 7.5/8" stuff too. I've been spending too much time with the 5.5/6" bolts.

I have personally found the opposite to be true. The duller the nail, the easier. Of course this is only regarding the the 60d nails that I have access found locally. No idea of the brand, etc. I get them at Seven Corners Hardware.

I was recently given some 60D that were harder than Grade 5 bolts which was new to me as all 60D's I've done before that were quite a bit easier. There is a clear difference in the look of these ones though. They are a dull gray more than silver. Its great though as these allow one more step in a progression.

I was sent some green (thanks again Bob) 60Ds that I refer to as "mutants" a long while back. They are harder than some Grade 5s.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sivaco 60d I bent for the Steel Slayers cal'd at 445 pounds I believe. The mutant green nails Ben is referring to from Bob cal'd at 380 and I've had numbers for full thickness 60ds as low as 210 so they vary a ton. Anything over 300 is typically a pretty good nail.

Keystones are the most consistant I've ever bent and pretty tough too.

Tim

Where do you purchase the Keystones? Most of the 60d nails I've bent have been from Ace Hardware and aren't too tough. I bent another one of the dull/light grey nails I bought at Lowes and it felt a lot tougher then a grade 5 I did in the same workout.

I was sent some green (thanks again Bob) 60Ds that I refer to as "mutants" a long while back. They are harder than some Grade 5s.

That sounds pretty cool. Do they sell these at H.Depot/Lowes ect. or is there a speciality place you have to get them?

That sounds pretty cool. Do they sell these at H.Depot/Lowes ect. or is there a speciality place you have to get them?

I don't know where Bob bought his and I don't buy nails anymore.