Two Hand Pinch Vs One Hand Pinch In Competition

Mikael Siversson

Is the two hand pinch an ideal test for pinch strength in competition? More than a decade of pinch training has resultet in the following observation. Your two hand pinch result is very much dependant on the difference in strength between your right and left hand. If you can pull 40k in the one hand pinch with both hands you will be able to pull a lot more in the two hand pinch than someone that can pull say 43k with his right hand and 37k with his left hand. In my case it would be closer to 10 per cent difference in the two hand pinch. The two hand pinch is a good competition event, no doubt about that but we should be aware of that it is not only a test of your combined pinching strength but very much also a test of the relative strength of your non-dominant hand. Pure pinching power can only be measured by the one hand pinch.

I always like the idea of contesting them individually. More versatile.

It would be fun to test left and right pinch. but, that's already an event that takes up a huge amount of time.

Indeed. And very much an issue back when Mikeal was involved - sorry but it's true. Even now if we did 1 handed I'd prefer, for time saving purposes, to use one hand only (right OR left). Besides if the value Mikeal offers is true (10%) and it sounds about right then there's little to prove by testing it over a few competitions. However, we should not loose site of the fact that we can still have 1 hand pinches as a test.

Test one and use a total or test on hand (like Vbar) and go with that. Either way, I like it. None of the options help my awful pinch.

I would also like to see one hand pinch lifts in competetion. Would be interesting to see what possible there.