Mod Grippers

Guest Youngguy

Guest Youngguy

Is it possible to modify the IM #4 gripper using the bolt and washers? (I only plan on lengthening the gripper.)

If so, how far should I drill and thread the IM gripper?

What kind or size bolt should I use.

Thanx for any help.

I don't think it should give you any problems. I'd go about 1/2" in and then tap it. I recommend buying the drill and tap together, a 1/4" tap uses a smaller than 1/4" drill. Buy them in a single package. As far as the stress on a bolt at the end of a #4, the 1/2" should hold fine because the real strength on a #4 is near the spring. The bolt is also very short, thus stronger for it's length (think about bending, shorter is harder).

Is it an accurate observation that the only ingredient in

grippers that has not been intentionally varied in gripper

manufacturing in recent years has been handle length?

Spring size and strength vary; handles vary in their width

of spread; knurling varies etc., but it appears that the

length of the handle remained the same?

Seems like selling a gripper with longer handles would

be a useful training tool- the wider spread could be overcome by a proper set, and the handle could be choked-up as strength increased.

I am thinking perhaps one inch longer.

If somebody just manufactured an adjustable gripper you wouldn't have to buy a plethera of grippers in hope of getting one at the resistance level you are searching for. It wouldn't be that difficult to design handles that would adjust in length. < <

-HH

Hammerhead

I think that if enough people showed interest in an adjustable gripper

it could be done.

Robert Baraban came up with the idea of an adjustable gripper that

uses various springs and could even be made with a pressure gaige/dail on so you could see the poundage squeezed,a bit of a cross between a hand dynanometer and coc gripper,but it would be expensive to make,so the more you make the cheaper they would become,ANYONE INTERESTED>

The quility would be second to none,as anybody that has seen my

hand dyno and stainless steel gripper can verify.

the gripper springs would be inter changeable and be from a 1*_

past the 4* strength and would all come in a nice pouch/case or box

so you could carry it around and have 4/5 grippers in one.

People might think i am being a bit of a suck hole for always

promoting Roberts products,but i think if something is worth doing,its worth doing properly(dont mean any disrespect to any of the other people that make products)just that Robert goes out of his way to make grip toys second to none.

Also the more that people like Robert.Warrin Tetting,Ironmind,PDA

etc do for us the better we will be for it.

I think thats the name of the game,us all sharing are ideas together,so that we can break the grip/strength boundaries.

Anybody with any more ideas about the adjustable gripper,or intersted

in getting one made,PLEASE make your thoughts none either

by this forum,or email myself or Robert Baraban.

it is not entirely accurate joe,

because no one has made a gripper with thicker handles yet.

I wounder what a gripper with 1" or 1.5" handles would feel like. of course you could always wrap duct tape around the handles to make them thicker. if anyone sees enough point to this to try it, let us know how it goes.

as for adjustable grippers- they are a great tool! i suggest that everyone should make one. they aren't that hard to make (you do need a powerful drill as I found out). youngguy: a 1/2" on the 4 might not be enough. you might want to make allowance for closer to an inch an then work your way down. but then again, you are the yougest coc ever aren't you?

Good point, Tom.

Nor has anyone made a male/female handled gripper,

where the male will slide inside (watch it now!) the female

handle for total closure, so that when shut you are holding essentially one handle width.

My idea is to have the handles made from steel not aluminum, and for the handle to be easily extended by various screw on sections. In addition, for there to be an indentation in the handle for over crushes. The handle being rotated if you wished to do this. Most likely Tetting would for a price make pretty much what you wanted.