Hand Body Size And Grip Strength?

Guest IrNLifter

Guest IrNLifter
:dry Was wondering after reading through many of the posts here if the captains of crush, as a group, tend to have larger than average hands? Also I've been wondering about bodyweight....seems I read something on one board or another about most being large men? As I don't know any of the people here (I'm fairly new to this board) personally, I was wondering if size and weight are factors in grip stength?

I'm not a certified COC yet but I close the #3 quite casually. My hands are just a little under 7" long. I'm 5'7" and 225 lbs.

Size and weight sure helps but there are some COC under 200 lbs, Joe Kinney being one of them. The japanese COC (don't remember his name) is about 140 lbs.

John Brookfield talks about this topic in his book "The Grip Master's Manual". Essentially he says that hand strength is independent of hand size. He says that small people can develop tremendous hand strength. That is encouraging to a guy like me. My hand from wrist to fingertip is 6.75", well below average but in perfect proportion to the rest of me.

Brookfield is a smart guy but I have a theory as to why bigger strength-trained guys tend to have stronger hands even if they don't train grip. It has to do with overall strength training and the cross-over to grip strength. If you are a big guy lifting weights you are going to be using bigger weights than a smaller guy. An impressive 2X body weight deadlift for a 220lb guy is 440lbs and part of the equation is his grip. I'm 5'4" and weigh 135lbs, making my impressive 2X body weight deadlift only 270lbs. Who has the stronger grip? Repeat this with clean and press, upright rows, anything involving gripping a bar or handle. The bigger guy is going to be moving more weight and therefore gets a better grip workout even when he is not training grip. The implications of this is that a smaller guy will have to train grip much more specifically than a bigger guy. (BTW, I'm not down on strength training for short guys. There are a lot of advantages, starting with biomechanics for squats). In my opinion the smaller guy with his smaller hands starts out further behind in grip strength. I believe this can be corrected with training. I guess we will see in a few years.

P.S.: I have NO IDEA if a 2X body weight deadlift is in fact an impressive lift for a typical strength trainer. It is impressive to me and I will certainly celebrate when I reach a DL of 270lbs. My grip program is already paying off by giving me an extra rep or two on my last set of DLs. :happy

2x body weight for most lifts would generally be considered a strong lift. In powerlifting, a lot of the real good light guys are 3x and 4x their body weight in the lifts. An example would be Mike Bridges (1000 lb squat at ~180-200 - I think the body weight is correct), Ed Coan, etc, etc.

Correction..Mike Bridges, at 181bw, did a 834 sq and a 528bench. Still, 4.6x ur bodyweight in the squat is outstanding.

How about Andrzej Stanaszek at 114lbs - 638squat - 5.5x his bodyweight.

2x ur bodyweight in ur lifts is very good for us mortals.

Guest IrNLifter

Well I know I considered it a major accomplishment when I DLed 350 at 175 bodyweight(a feat which I acheived last month!)I also thought it pretty neat to be doing 20 rep squats with 175...but that might be cuz I'm 43 ...an old fart to be starting powerlifting...

My hands are 7.5x4, which are smaller than most guys I know, and at 5'9" and 175, I'm shorter and lighter than the strength athletes that I know as well. So I was just wondering aloud about the Captains of Crush as a group...it's logical that it would take stronger hands to even do pullups for a heavier bodyweight....

mg6680,

On Richard Sorin's site there is a pic of Bridges squatting 1000lbs - it's not in competition, not offical and I've never counted the plates, but it's darn inspiring none the less.

I would say a x2 bodyweight deadlift is respectable at any weight.

Edited by The Mac

You know, I am sick and tired about hearing about "what guy is lifting what".... forget about all of that dudes, just go out and LIFT!! :angry:

Don't worry about who can do what - that has nothing to do with you and it really makes a bunch of nonsense. When weightlifting, the only person you have to worry about is... YOU! Records are good, and everyone shoots for a PR, but don't turn it into a friggin' mental game. Just lift as heavy as you can, watch your form, and steadly progress. The gains will come if you are persistant and dedicated. Don't sweat the small stuff; lift heavy and hard and everything else will fall into place.

I'll get off my soapbox now. < <

Chris,

Thanks for reminding me of that pic - had it on my desktop for a while. Awesome lifing.

Syber is right on this one - PR's are all that should matter.

I closed the #3 for the first time last week. I compete at 198, and though I'm 6' 1", my hands are small with particularly short fingers.

Thnx, MG6680, but I live in the Lone Star State and will be trying to contact Bill Holland Monday. I do wish there were some contests in the area, though I've never tried the RT, and doubt I'd do very well due to my relatively weak wrists. Pinching and crushing seem to be my strong suits.

Snott.

Every word you said is true, and I can't fault in any of it, but come on now - like it or not we all like to compare ourselves to others. Sport would be pretty darn boring if I turned on the TV and watched Park League Football (or Soccers, as you would call it) or saw people running the 100m in 16 seconds.

And besides, if you're going for the #3 and can't hold on to a 400lb deadlift (and I'm aware the two are not the same) it might indicate a real weakness somewhere, and how are you gonna know that if you don't ask.....

Edited by The Mac