Does This Look Closed?

BroodingMoon

I think I missed it by a hair... This was my 5th attempt at getting a video with enough light so I wasted some energy beforehand. Apologies for the bad quality, my camera isn't great. I'll try to get a better video of me closing the CoC#3 soon, I've never tried videotaping closes before, it's harder than I thought! :)

Just a pube short. You'll be smashing it very soon!

Good attempt! See if you can get some better lighting. That might help with clarity.

Bathroom is a good place for videos, believe it or not. Lots of light in a small space usually.

Also, sick pause. Good work on that.

Cheers guys! And thanks for the suggestion. In the second video it's definitely shut though, right?

One more question (as per my log):

Tried with CCS today, but my hands aren't big enough to get any leverage! :/ When placing the dogleg in the "sweet spot" I can only wrap 3 fingers round at the first joint and there is no power - I can't even close it far enough to get my pinky on. I have the same problem with the CoC#2.5. The only solution I can think of is to train TNS closes where I have the dogleg further back in my palm. In this manner I can close a CoC#2 but anything more is a long way off... does anybody have training tips to improve my sweep in this new position?

It is frustrating to close the #3 with MMS but not the #2.5 with CCS :help

Cheers guys! And thanks for the suggestion. In the second video it's definitely shut though, right?

Tried with CCS today, but my hands aren't big enough to get any leverage! :/ When placing the dogleg in the "sweet spot" I can only wrap 3 fingers round at the first joint and there is no power - I can't even close it far enough to get my pinky on. I have the same problem with the CoC#2.5. The only solution I can think of is to train TNS closes where I have the dogleg further back in my palm. In this manner I can close a CoC#2 but anything more is a long way off... does anybody have training tips to improve my sweep in this new position?

It is frustrating to close the #3 with MMS but not the #2.5 with CCS :help

In the second video... Hard to say. There is very bad light in the video. Gripper look like it's not closed, even it is. Light does so much.

In the second video... Hard to say. There is very bad light in the video. Gripper look like it's not closed, even it is. Light does so much.

Okay, I'll try using a better camera and better lighting in future. Thanks for your opinion :)

I think I missed it by a hair... This was my 5th attempt at getting a video with enough light so I wasted some energy beforehand. Apologies for the bad quality, my camera isn't great. I'll try to get a better video of me closing the CoC#3 soon, I've never tried videotaping closes before, it's harder than I thought! :)

Good videos is all about light. ;)

No, with the quality of the vid, I don't think it can be deemed definitely shut.

It is frustrating to close the #3 with MMS but not the #2.5 with CCS help.gif

I have spent a great deal of time addressing this very issue. I feel that you're on the right track with training TNS form. The range of motion of your hand in the closed position is more trainable than you think. I think it just takes a new perspective on "BTR".

If you have a gripper in the "sweet spot", forward in the palm close to the fingers, it's a comfortable range of motion for your hand. In other words, when the gripper is closed, your hand is not shut very tight. Even if you file that gripper, you're training BTR with respect to the gripper, but your hand is still not shut incredibly tight.

Now take that same gripper and use a compromised (TNS style) handle position. You stall out at the end because your getting beyond the range of motion you've trained for your hand. Now try a filed gripper! I have spent the better part of 5 months going back and retraining my range of motion. It's starting to feel natural. I can grind my filed #2 where it was difficult for me to close it at all in this manner 5 months ago. It has not taken me that long to retrain the range of motion and now I'm just plowing ahead and making gains. Everything I do is BTR now. Negs, holds, everything. I feel it's true BTR because, if the gripper is filed a lot, my pinkie can barely curl any tighter. I have noticed a big difference on the pinkie side of my palm. That muscle there has about doubled in size because I'm recruiting more involvement when the bottom fingers wrap tighter.

The other thing you might have to come to terms with is that you won't have all your fingers on the gripper when you start the close. I think Teemu's #3 cert video is a good example. You start the close with 3 fingers and add the pinkie later. Again, very trainable. Also check out Sean Dockery's recent MM0 cert.

It's humbling to go back and train with lighter grippers, but you can celebrate old PRs again on the way back up. I'm getting closer to closing my #3 in this manner and certification will be a breeze when I master this.

No, with the quality of the vid, I don't think it can be deemed definitely shut.

I have spent a great deal of time addressing this very issue. I feel that you're on the right track with training TNS form. The range of motion of your hand in the closed position is more trainable than you think. I think it just takes a new perspective on "BTR".

If you have a gripper in the "sweet spot", forward in the palm close to the fingers, it's a comfortable range of motion for your hand. In other words, when the gripper is closed, your hand is not shut very tight. Even if you file that gripper, you're training BTR with respect to the gripper, but your hand is still not shut incredibly tight.

Now take that same gripper and use a compromised (TNS style) handle position. You stall out at the end because your getting beyond the range of motion you've trained for your hand. Now try a filed gripper! I have spent the better part of 5 months going back and retraining my range of motion. It's starting to feel natural. I can grind my filed #2 where it was difficult for me to close it at all in this manner 5 months ago. It has not taken me that long to retrain the range of motion and now I'm just plowing ahead and making gains. Everything I do is BTR now. Negs, holds, everything. I feel it's true BTR because, if the gripper is filed a lot, my pinkie can barely curl any tighter. I have noticed a big difference on the pinkie side of my palm. That muscle there has about doubled in size because I'm recruiting more involvement when the bottom fingers wrap tighter.

The other thing you might have to come to terms with is that you won't have all your fingers on the gripper when you start the close. I think Teemu's #3 cert video is a good example. You start the close with 3 fingers and add the pinkie later. Again, very trainable. Also check out Sean Dockery's recent MM0 cert.

It's humbling to go back and train with lighter grippers, but you can celebrate old PRs again on the way back up. I'm getting closer to closing my #3 in this manner and certification will be a breeze when I master this.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Excellent ideas, I'll add BTR closes to my future gripper workouts, but which hand position did you mean to use? How much have you filed your #2? Did you do this in stages or all at once? I already have a filed #1 which I've removed about 3/16" on one side, so I can begin on that for overcrushes.

I understand what you mean by starting with 3 fingers, this will improve with practice, although when the handle is further back in my palm it's not just the last part of the close that becomes difficult, it's harder the whole way through! I was wondering what the best way to train the middle part of the sweep is. If the answer is just TNS'ing with lighter grippers then fine, it's time to train on! But perhaps a plate-loaded grip machine would be better for this part of the close? Something tells me I'm thinking too deeply here :tongue

Thanks again for your time, it is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Excellent ideas, I'll add BTR closes to my future gripper workouts, but which hand position did you mean to use? How much have you filed your #2? Did you do this in stages or all at once? I already have a filed #1 which I've removed about 3/16" on one side, so I can begin on that for overcrushes.

I understand what you mean by starting with 3 fingers, this will improve with practice, although when the handle is further back in my palm it's not just the last part of the close that becomes difficult, it's harder the whole way through! I was wondering what the best way to train the middle part of the sweep is. If the answer is just TNS'ing with lighter grippers then fine, it's time to train on! But perhaps a plate-loaded grip machine would be better for this part of the close? Something tells me I'm thinking too deeply here tongue.gif

I mean start using the compromised handle position. It makes your hand "bigger". I can get more hand on the gripper earlier. My #2 is filed about one third through the handle, but I only use it for warm ups. The filed gripper I use for negs is filed about half-way through the handle and I do have plans to progressively file it more.

For that middle part of the sweep, fight your negatives all the way out. Otherwise, training the last inch or so has translated outward well enough for me. My plate-loaded machine has only 1-1/4" between the handles and I fight the negs all the way down. A plate-loaded machine would be huge.

On regular grippers, I usually do negs with the gripper choked at about 1-1/2". That's just what is comfortable for me. I fight those all the way out too.

Keep in mind I have not proved anything with this yet :) All I know for sure so far is that I have successfully retrained my form to the compromised handle position and it feels natural now. If I can't close a gripper it feels like a strength issue, not a form or range of motion issue. Also my sweep has gone through the roof and I just need to bring the close back up to match. I see improvement there almost every week.

Good information. Solid advice for sure.

Edited by Mighty Joe

I understand what you mean by starting with 3 fingers, this will improve with practice, although when the handle is further back in my palm it's not just the last part of the close that becomes difficult, it's harder the whole way through! I was wondering what the best way to train the middle part of the sweep is. If the answer is just TNS'ing with lighter grippers then fine, it's time to train on! But perhaps a plate-loaded grip machine would be better for this part of the close? Something tells me I'm thinking too deeply here tongue.gif

I mean start using the compromised handle position. It makes your hand "bigger". I can get more hand on the gripper earlier. My #2 is filed about one third through the handle, but I only use it for warm ups. The filed gripper I use for negs is filed about half-way through the handle and I do have plans to progressively file it more.

For that middle part of the sweep, fight your negatives all the way out. Otherwise, training the last inch or so has translated outward well enough for me. My plate-loaded machine has only 1-1/4" between the handles and I fight the negs all the way down. A plate-loaded machine would be huge.

On regular grippers, I usually do negs with the gripper choked at about 1-1/2". That's just what is comfortable for me. I fight those all the way out too.

Keep in mind I have not proved anything with this yet :) All I know for sure so far is that I have successfully retrained my form to the compromised handle position and it feels natural now. If I can't close a gripper it feels like a strength issue, not a form or range of motion issue. Also my sweep has gone through the roof and I just need to bring the close back up to match. I see improvement there almost every week.

That's all the information I need, very helpful thanks! Good luck with getting your certification! :)

It looks like you missed it by 1/2 mm or less, if at all. It's really hard to tell. In my training journals when that happens and I THINK I closed it, but I can't be sure, I give myself the benefit of the doubt and count it as "Closed? and held for X seconds, using whatever set I used" but the "closed?" isn't worth as much for my final score in my workout journal as a definite "closed". But if you're that far off, just tell yourself that you closed it and that closing it is old hat, so you'll bust through any mental barriers that might form. That's what I do when I get one that I'm not sure is closed, and usually I end up within two weeks being able to grind the handles.

It looks like you missed it by 1/2 mm or less, if at all. It's really hard to tell. In my training journals when that happens and I THINK I closed it, but I can't be sure, I give myself the benefit of the doubt and count it as "Closed? and held for X seconds, using whatever set I used" but the "closed?" isn't worth as much for my final score in my workout journal as a definite "closed". But if you're that far off, just tell yourself that you closed it and that closing it is old hat, so you'll bust through any mental barriers that might form. That's what I do when I get one that I'm not sure is closed, and usually I end up within two weeks being able to grind the handles.

Yes, I always visualise myself succeeding before I attempt whatever lift/close, it definitely helps :)

How's that close coming brotha?