Pinch Grip Norms

Tom Black

I stumbled on these charts of pinch strength norms. The results are in pounds and this page appears not to be maintained but the website is still active. The actual device used for the pinching is in the 2nd link. There's also a paper in Paper in pdf format. The results in the paper were higher than the html page, with the highest being 26.7 pounds for the right hand in the 50-55 age group.

Here's the chart:

http://www.bleng.com/pgnorms.htm

Here's the device they used for the tests, obviously not the whole hand can pinch this so the results are lower:

http://www.bleng.com/pinch.htm

I would think someone who could pinch 90 pounds with their whole hand could pinch at least double the "norms," but that's a guess on my part. I also thought it was interesting that the highest results were with the 50-55 age group. Looks like I've got another 10-years before I reach my peak.

Tom,

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I think one would be able to pinch a heavier poundage between thumb and curled first finger -compared to what people have plate pinched? I haven't practiced pinching this way but whenever I have to open a plastic package, or other thing I usually can transmit more force in this grip then the open pinch with the thumb opposite my fingers.

Jon@han

Guest sjeff70

I was going to wait pinching in that manner (like holding a key) but the conventional way is really starting to hurt my hands. Today I could not curl my fingers after getting done with a hard set of the 2-Hands Pinch Lift. They were stuck straight like lobster claws. Had I not used my leg to curl them I wonder how long they would have been stuck that way? :unsure:blush

Jeff

Mike,

I think you are right. That's how I pinch a wood block shaped like a deck of cards. I can do more on that than on a wide pinch. I didn't read that the device went only to 60-pounds, I think a lot of people here could break it by pinching it.