Weaver Stick

jad

Why is the weight on a string? I've never understood that.

Because Grimek was just a stupid oldtimer and didn't understand all of the advantages of making expensive, hard to reproduce implements. A modern Gripster's weaver stick is 42" of seamless, Swedish steel, with a Euro eyebolt and handstop welded on. The weight is attached using a 40 dollar IM carabiner connecting the eyebolt to a piece of FHS special stock manilla rope. The rope in addition to being weather proof, mark proof, and chalk proof, is spliced with IM carabiner ready adapters at both ends, for an easy and reproducible connection at each end.

Food for thought…

Because Grimek was just a stupid oldtimer and didn't understand all of the advantages of making expensive, hard to reproduce implements. A modern Gripster's weaver stick is 42" of seamless, Swedish steel, with a Euro eyebolt and handstop welded on. The weight is attached using a 40 dollar IM carabiner connecting the eyebolt to a piece of FHS special stock manilla rope. The rope in addition to being weather proof, mark proof, and chalk proof, is spliced with IM carabiner ready adapters at both ends, for an easy and reproducible connection at each end.

And a built in line level to determine when it is not perfectly parallel

If they are individually serial numbered, my credit card is ready. w00t.gif

Please send credit card number - I'll take it from there :whistel

If they are individually serial numbered, my credit card is ready. w00t.gif

Please send credit card number - I'll take it from there :whistel

:laugh

Don't the newer models have GPS navigation as well as ABS and flux capacitor capabilities (assuming your running the recommended 1.21 gigawatts) ???

20040615_giga_e.jpg

Edited by naturalstrength

The weaver ain't pretty but I think it is about a perfect wrist event.

1. Easily accessible equipment

2. Easily microloaded for no ties

3. Easy to judge if you allow arm bend/non-USAWA

4. Pretty safe if you don't try to do some explosive type of lift with it

5. Invites curiosity: even if I wasn't into grip I'd wanna see why all these strong guys were struggling to lift a broomstick with <10# on it/can't be that hard.

Strangely enough we don't contest it often because for non-grip types it is quite by far the most boring event they watch. For those lifting, especially now we no longer use wraps, it's HARD work.

My dad met Grimek a few times when he was a kid. He even got to see him practice oly lifts once. He mentioned that Grimeks wrists were freakishly thick and that his forearms looked like some peoples thighs. Hes also told me when someone brought an Inch DB to the York gym, Grimek and Stanko picked it up there first try and asked what the big deal was, lol. I dont doubt he lifted 11 lbs. He was a genetic freak.

Also, keep in mind that these guys didnt obsessively train all these wierd grip feats. Stuff like the weaver stick and tearing cards was a casual stunt they would mess around with every once in a while.

My dad met Grimek a few times when he was a kid. He even got to see him practice oly lifts once. He mentioned that Grimeks wrists were freakishly thick and that his forearms looked like some peoples thighs. Hes also told me when someone brought an Inch DB to the York gym, Grimek and Stanko picked it up there first try and asked what the big deal was, lol. I dont doubt he lifted 11 lbs. He was a genetic freak.

Also, keep in mind that these guys didnt obsessively train all these wierd grip feats. Stuff like the weaver stick and tearing cards was a casual stunt they would mess around with every once in a while.

This never happened. There were no Inch replicas brought to York.

When were the first Inch replicas made for sale?

When were the first Inch replicas made for sale?

From what I'm aware of here in the UK interest in the Inch restarted around the time the original was brought to the OHF dinners (late 90's to about 2004 ish(. I wrote articles on its appearance and my efforts to pick it up etc. Alan and I did the MDB in 2000 (hence the Millennium part) and made inquiries with Pullums and others did the same with the Holle brothers.

It might be worth a look in some old IM brochures to see when they sold their replicas.

Either way certainly not when John G was training at York. I'm sure Joe Roark would know if ANY modern era thick handled dumbbell ever appeared there as would John D Fair.

Guest Bullitt

According to Weaver ( taken from this article by him - http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/08/weaver-stick-george-r-weaver.html )Grimek only lifted 10 lbs to the front. He did an 11.5 lb lift to the rear. Also, he did the lift with his weak hand due to an injury to his strong hand, making the lift even more fantastic or unbelievable depending on which camp you fall into. Did the claimed record come later? Here is an excerpt from the article:

The most extraordinary ability I discovered among those I tested was that of John Grimek. Upon first being shown the stick, he succeeded in lifting 9⅜ lbs. in the Forward Lift, right hand. I had planned for him to attempt a worlds record after a few weeks of practice, but when the time came an injury prevented any serious right-handed lifting. However, lifting with his left hand, he made a wonderful record of exactly 10 lbs. Meanwhile, John Protasel had made a record of 12½ lbs. in the Backward Lift, right hand. I may say that Siegmund Klein had several Weaver Sticks made and obtained a special set of weights, ready for visiting strong-men who wish to try this test at his gymnasium.

The best records so far have been as follows:

Forward Lift, right hand Paul Von Boeckmann, 10¾ lbs.

Forward Lift, left hand John Grimek, 10 pounds.

Backward Lift, right hand John Protasel, 12½ lbs.

Backward Lift, left hand John Grimek, 11 ½lbs.

Edited by Bullitt

According to Weaver ( taken from this article by him - http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/08/weaver-stick-george-r-weaver.html )Grimek only lifted 10 lbs to the front. He did an 11.5 lb lift to the rear. Also, he did the lift with his weak hand due to an injury to his strong hand, making the lift even more fantastic or unbelievable depending on which camp you fall into. Did the claimed record come later? Here is an excerpt from the article:

The most extraordinary ability I discovered among those I tested was that of John Grimek. Upon first being shown the stick, he succeeded in lifting 9⅜ lbs. in the Forward Lift, right hand. I had planned for him to attempt a world’s record after a few weeks of practice, but when the time came an injury prevented any serious right-handed lifting. However, lifting with his left hand, he made a wonderful record of exactly 10 lbs. Meanwhile, John Protasel had made a record of 12½ lbs. in the Backward Lift, right hand. I may say that Siegmund Klein had several Weaver Sticks made and obtained a special set of weights, ready for visiting strong-men who wish to try this test at his gymnasium.

The best records so far have been as follows:

Forward Lift, right hand – Paul Von Boeckmann, 10¾ lbs.

Forward Lift, left hand – John Grimek, 10 pounds.

Backward Lift, right hand – John Protasel, 12½ lbs.

Backward Lift, left hand – John Grimek, 11 ½lbs.

I heard some guy named Steve Gardener did 7.55 kg to rear = 16.61 lbs :laugh

I wonder if chuck norris is secretly reading this thread?

Rico

I wonder if chuck norris is secretly reading this thread?

Rico

I don't know if Chuck Norris is, but usually whenever an old-timer is discussed, and in particular, when one is discussed without unbridled adulation, there are some "anonymous users" reading with rapt attention.

I am not an old timer nut swinger, but I like the Weaver cause Don Larkin taught it to me. Just another traditional lift, nothing special.