What Would You Rather Have, A Good Sweep, Or Good Finish

kelby

i am so weak with the sweep it is pathetic. but, i can close the 2.5 if i set it deep. but, i like a strong hand shake.and i think the sweep is important. and more functional strength.

Sweep the leg!!! Finish Him!!!

Sorry, I have nothing of value to add.

A sweep for sure. Then I don't ever have to actually close any grippers and I can sit back and smugly sip my justprotein and tell anyone who'll listen that "deep-setting" grippers is only fooling yourself.

exactly, and using chalk is just being a mark trying-to emulate other weight-lifters and her-oes

I just find it easier to grab a #3 high on the handle, squeeze indisriminately and if anyone questions the close I just say "Ain't that all the way?".

Haha. I have a buddy who says all the .5 grippers are for you know what's, and so is setting them. He'll never close the 3, haha.

A sweep for sure. Then I don't ever have to actually close any grippers and I can sit back and smugly sip my justprotein and tell anyone who'll listen that "deep-setting" grippers is only fooling yourself.

exactly, and using chalk is just being a mark trying-to emulate other weight-lifters and her-oes

HAHAHA!

lol :)

Every guy I've handed my 3 to has managed the sweep just fine. I guess they're all really strong there naturally and never trained the finish.

Every guy I've handed my 3 to has managed the sweep just fine. I guess they're all really strong there naturally and never trained the finish.

i don't know about that. i am talking like the clip on ron coleman. i mean he couldn't close the last 1/8 or so, but, the sweep. he didn't even set it properly. granted if he set it properly he could probably close the three. but, i see alot of people on the net who have to set the grippers deep. ron can probably close it like that with little training. that is strong grip.

and what is the difference between sweep and cloing the gripper. why do you guys think it is funny to ask that

Edited by kelby

i don't know about that. i am talking like the clip on ron coleman. i mean he couldn't close the last 1/8 or so, but, the sweep. he didn't even set it properly. granted if he set it properly he could probably close the three. but, i see alot of people on the net who have to set the grippers deep. ron can probably close it like that with little training. that is strong grip.

and what is the difference between sweep and cloing the gripper. why do you guys think it is funny to ask that

Ron has many years of training his grip. Just not with grippers.

Sorry Kelby, didn't mean to hijack your thread it's just I've never seen somebody with a good close that didn't have a good sweep. My understanding of the sweep it open to parallel. I think I got this from the old article Gorillahands wrote. However, I get sick of seeing guys with sub-8" hands that can't no-set a #3 being told they need to work their sweep....yeah I'm sure that's the problem :rolleyes

Sorry Kelby, didn't mean to hijack your thread it's just I've never seen somebody with a good close that didn't have a good sweep. My understanding of the sweep it open to parallel. I think I got this from the old article Gorillahands wrote. However, I get sick of seeing guys with sub-8" hands that can't no-set a #3 being told they need to work their sweep....yeah I'm sure that's the problem :rolleyes

my understanding of the sweep is like what ron did. no set and still be able to get the thing down to half way. just grab it from the table and squeez it without set. that is my idea of a good sweep.

Guest Bullitt

my understanding of the sweep is like what ron did. no set and still be able to get the thing down to half way. just grab it from the table and squeez it without set. that is my idea of a good sweep.

The sweep is the easiest part of any gripper. To build strength in the sweep (with grippers), you would need a MUCH harder gripper than you can close with a parallel set. IMO open hand strength is better trained with block weights and thick bar. I just don't think you get much out of the sweep on a gripper. To me the sweep is pretty much wasted motion. I know others feel differently, so to each his own. The last 1-2 cm is where you build 90% of your strength on grippers IMHO. There are way more people out there that can sweep a #3 to parallel than there are those that can actually make the handles touch.

So that would be a vote for strong close. :)

Grippers are no different from any other strength exercise, if you don't have good form you won't perform your best. I don't care if you like tns, mms, ccs, or any other type of gripper movement, if you don't practice you won't have good form so you won't do very well in the movement. Ronnie obviously doesn't train grippers so he had very bad form. If he had someone teach him how to properly tns or set the gripper I have not doubt he would have closed it. My vote also goes for strong finish. If you can't close something with a mms then you damn sure can't tns it.

I think I'd rather have the sweep because it seems to reflect overall grip strength, while the close/finish is something that can be focused on and built pretty quickly (in my experience).

I am fairly good at both, but struggle with the set so I am about 40# RGC-pounds better with a choked gripper. I often feel like I'm trying to hold a fish in my hand while I'm positioning a challenging gripper and tend to hurt the opposite thumb in the process.

It has slowly gotten better with a little specific practice this year but Eaton has told me that I'm still nowhere near the "sweet spot" and he seems surprised that I can close grippers when I position them so badly.