#4vs.supergripper

don of tha new grip

If i'm not mistaken the highest setting on thw suppergripper is at 365,and if the #4is the same how come there are more people closing the suppergripper?

Hi DOTNG,

i happen to own a SG with 3 springs (put the extra spring on it recently to test the monster) and now a #4.

As you already know the Ironmind grippers tend to vary in strength (hard to find out the real amplitude of fluctuations) and the SG probably vary in strength too. So here is my experience with MY OWN grippers (my #4 being much harder than my #3 being much harder than my #2 being much harder than my #1).

First of all, the SG with 2 springs at the highest settings is comparable to my #3 and maybe a bit more difficult. It is obviously quite easier than my #4. The SG with 3 springs at the highest setting is comparable to my #4 and maybe a bit more difficult too. Though i would have to close both fully with ONE hand (and not with two hands as i do) to settle it precisely.

Now the highest setting on the SG is rated at 345, not 365 IF IT DOES MEAN A THING. In fact the only thing you can rely upon on the SG rating is seemingly the relation between the different settings. That is to say that the SG at the notches 12-10 rated at 345 is almost twice as hard to close that the SG at the notches 2-10 rated at 169. Does it mean that the SG at notches 2-10 (169) is in between the #1 (140) and the #2 (195): I don't think so. Moreover there is no correct rating of the IM grippers.

Amaury thanks I really didnt think about the poundage of the two grippers not being set in stone (although aware of it). I guess the 20lb. differnce also makes a differance.

Don,

Also, the numbers given by Ironmind for the T - #4 are reputedly merely estimates given by Richard Sorin when Randall Strossen (the proprietor of Ironmind) asked him how hard he thought the grippers were. (This post can be found in the "Temp Gripboard Archive" pinned at the top of the gripboard - can't remember which thread, but it's there).

Makes you wonder about the bit at the beginning of the catalogue - "Our numbers are not just plucked out of thin air, but are actually properly tested" or some other such nonsense (please excuse my less than word-for-word quote)....