Question For The High Volume Guys...

seether

I’ve never posted on here before other than to buy stuff, just try to read as much as I can and learn from the veterans. But I just have to ask, and this is mainly directed at the “High Volume” guys out there…

How do you find the time to train the rest of your body??? I’ve been working my grip specifically for over two years now and I’ve made some great gains and I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on what works best for ME. I train grippers (or machines) 5 days a week, 2 heavy and 3 active recovery and try to bend at least 4 days a week; anything less than that and I begin to lose strength. My grip sessions last about two hours each, sometimes longer depending if it’s a weekday or a weekend. As far as the rest of my body goes, I have a loader tire for flipping, a few homemade sandbags, a steel keg, a steel 55 gallon drum, 2 inch by 50 foot manila rope, 1 ½ inch by 100 foot manila rope, a sled, and of course my weights. I mainly do conditioning work or “event/fight” style training. Mainly because it’s much more fun than your regular 3x10 or 5x5 barbell workout or even the 20 rep squat and it’s easier on my tired old joints.

So, back to my question… Between having high volume grip sessions, going to work every day (I wake up for work at 3:30am 6 days a week), spending time with my family, and just life in general. And don’t even get me started on the weather lately! How do you guys find time to train the rest of your body, let alone cardio????? I don’t even get to pinch nor do thick bar work as often as I should.

Or am I the only one that has a tough time juggling grip specific work and full body work?

Thanks for any/everyone’s time, thoughts, insights, and advice if they have it to give.

Seth

I also have an active life (2 young boys, work, etc...which are my top priorities) and I understand it's not easy to combine training with it.

This is what I do :

Grippers : every day at the present time (KTA program requirements !)

While not on KTA program, 2 to 3 workouts/week. I generaly train in the morning (no more than 1 hour);

Whole body : kettlebells training fits the bill (cardio included) and improve your grip too. I perform all pulling movements with a KB attached to my rolling thunder (rowing, deadlift, shrug, ...) I train 20 to 30 minutes at 12 AM during lunch break, 3 to 4 days a week;

Specific forearms training : I use globe dumbbells, thick bar, wrist rollers, powerball, ... There are plenty of different tools so you never get bored :tongue I train nearly everyday, in the evening.

I don't train like a bodybuilder or a powerlifter and have no specific goals even if from time to time I like to be challenged (thanks to the Gripboard for that !)

I prefer small workouts and rarely to failure (injuries suck). I'am training for more than 20 years and that's what has worked best for me.

Hope this screed answers your question and gives help.

Pick out who you believe are the top five or ten strongest guys on this board and take a close look at their training. I doubt any one of them is training nearly as long per day or per week as you are on their grip. And none of them are doing grip instead of overall body if time is the issue unless maybe it's right before a big contest. The top guys are all very overall body strong first - then grip second. Pick a couple guys whose advice you respect and drop them a PM - ask them your question and see what comes out.

It would depend on what he means by high volume. I train frequently but I'm not a hi rep/high work-load man.

How I manage? I work for myself and so keep my own hours. My office, such as it is, is here in my house and the gym and warehouse (same building) are opposite (the other place is only 10 minutes walk away) . Any time in front of the pc not spent on sites like this is spent checking emails and my sites (inc the admin panel on eBay). I'll also process orders at midnight as well as 5am if the mood takes me but do tend to keep more sensible hours but it's not the usual 9-5.

There are rarely any serious distractions here. No GF (not for a while), no wife (never ha!), my only child is now grown up with a daughter and hubby to look after and live miles away. I rarely drink or go out to restaurants and so can, if I so wish, have a day structures around what I like. I can take an easy day or spend 12 hours working on a project if I so wish.

I also do not earn lots of money so am not driven to get more and more (I have been but not for some time now) and thus do not suffer from the pressures which come with that.

I'm able to nap if I need to and so can, when the mood takes me, split training between a morning and afternoon session (I'm doing that today but without the nap).

Training takes between 40-mins and 2 hours. As an example tomorrow I have no planned collections of stock to send out (I get that done Mo/We/Fri) but am looking at a delivery (bedside table for me - one you can swivel in and out and which tilts so I can read in bed etc) and unless I turn it into a rest day I'll be doing just an hour of axle work. I also have a one-to-one coaching session with a local guy from 6-7pm.

I do, however, prefer a low rep/volume type program so there's no 50-rep sets etc for me. I think if there was I'd not do as many days and need more recovery.

Guest Bullitt

Nursing a sore elbow right now, but even before that I had cut way back on my grip training and focussed more on overall strength with squats, DO deads (which help grippers a lot I think), heavy rows, bench press, and overhead press. I noticed that the guys that were beating me at grip comps were the guys that were a lot stronger overall than me.

For grip I was concentrating much more on pinch (narrow and wide) and axle, with some grippers and vbar here and there. Between Gripmas and the workout we did at Jedd's a couple weeks ago, I don't think I did one grip specific workout and my overall grip didn't seem much weaker than it had been (my gripper strength actually increased). That should bode well when I ramp up my grip training for the upcoming Spring contests. I find that working the grippers in between sets of squats is another great time saver and this is pretty much the only time I touch them now.

First let me say; thanks fellas for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Joefrey, I myself have given up the whole “bodybuilder/powerlifter” style of training once I hit 30. I still do dead-lifts but that’s all I use my barbell for now. I hit a PR back in November of 405 lbs thanks to my tire flipping work, my goal is double bodyweight with double over-hand grip and I’m about 55 lbs from that now. I’ve tried shorter workouts but unless I continually push myself to the absolute limit my body just won’t progress.

Climber, I do have a couple of guys that I email outside of the board from time to time but their lifestyles are quite different because their business IS the strength business. And both of them are just ridiculously strong throughout their entire body not to mention both are on the CoC list.

Mobsterone, I guess by high volume I mean high workload. For example, Monday night the weather here was still crap (Except for grip work I prefer to train outside, it gives me my time away and some solitude to unwind; IF Mother Nature would let me that is). So, I decided to warm my hands up and work grippers until dinner was done. I did about an hours’ worth of negatives with my extended handle Elite. For every single I do with my right hand I do two with my left. So one “set” is left, right, left, rest. Each “set” takes me about 4 to 5 minutes fighting the gripper all the way out on each single. After that I was told that I still had about 45 minutes until dinner. So, I decided to bend until I was told to wash up. I ended up doing fifty 40d common nails in sets of 5. Wrap, bend, wrap, bend, wrap, bend, wrap, bend, wrap, bend, and REST. I’ll do the same with my tire. I’ll flip it as many time as I can consecutively and then just flip and rest, flip and rest until I’m out of gas. The most I’ve done in a workout was 100 flips in an hour and 41 minutes.

Bullit, the only squatting I can do safely is high-rep bodyweight but I do agree that DO dead-lifts help enormously. I don’t have a bench anymore but I do have an 8” log-bar that I use for overhead presses.

I will say this though; my woman and my boy are VERY understanding and supportive of my goals. The only time I take away from them is the time that I’m at work and the time I’m training.

I'll try and watch that shortly. Regarding how some cope with the time for reps - much as you did. In between other stuff in other words.

Oh and you should still try and do some heavy ass compounds as this will keep up your base strength. Hence Bullit's comment about how he didn't loose too much strength.

Busy...

I work 42.5 hours a week. I have a 3 year old, a 6 year old, and twin boys due in April. I train 7 days a week.

You have to decide what is the most important and make that priority in your training. Then fill in the gaps with other stuff.

Monday I do cardio (50 minutes on my bike) then maybe grip for 30 minutes. This is after work.

Tuesday is leg day (20 rep squats, some heavy singles, 100 rep leg presses, etc.) This takes 50 minutes. Then I go home and do 20 minutes on my treadclimber. Again, this is after work.

Wednesday is cardio again (40-50 minutes on bike) then grip. I also have some dumbbells so I do sets of dumbbell curls in between my sets of grip.

Thursday is chest/triceps. I do giant sets for both and I am done in 25-30 minutes. Afterwards I do 30-50 minutes of cardio.

Friday is cardio (50 minutes) and maybe grip.

Saturday is back at the gym and 40-50 minutes cardio.

Sunday is cardio.

That is my basic week. Of course, life changes that schedule. I normally get up at 5:50 for work, but if I have something going on, like I do this weekend, I will get up at 4:45 am and get my cardio in before work and skip Saturday's training.

The Natural, in regards to what Hershel Walker was saying about doing his push-ups and sit-ups during commercial breaks while watching TV is basically how my nail bending gets to be such high volume. If my GF wants to watch TV in the bedroom or read a book, I’ll just lay out a bunch of nails and pull up my computer chair. I’ll sit there and watch the clock on the cable box and every two to three minutes I’ll stand up and bend a nail. I’ll usually bend until I fail and at the same time be hanging out with my girl.

Mobsterone, I live in an apartment and don’t have a bench or squat rack so my heavy compound lifts are limited to dead-lifts, overhead presses, chin-ups, and dips. My tire is kept in a Public Storage unit and when the weather breaks I’m planning to move my weights there so that I can do some of the Olympic lifts without worrying about dropping the weight through the floor and into my neighbors’ living room. But again, that would be when life allows the time away to train. My tire is the best part of my workout regimen and it was free.

Rick, what Jim Wendler (that was Jim right?)was saying about after his kids go to bed is based on his lifestyle and work. Since I wake up so early for work my bedtime is about the same time as my boys. I try to be asleep by 9:30pm on work nights and even then I’ll only get six hours if I’m lucky.

I will say this though; I myself have done a lot of my own grip workouts after an intense cardio session. Usually my most intense training day is Sunday morning/afternoon. That’s when I can go flip the tire for a while, drag the sled, and toss the drum and keg around for a bit. During the week it’s mostly dead-lifts on my balcony, log presses in the living room, and chins and dips in the kitchen door frame. During this summer I’ll have more time to train outside with my tire and stuff because my boy will be in summer camp and I can go right to training after work. During the school year I have to be home for him to get off of the bus and get him started on dinner and homework. When it’s not too cold outside, I’ll take him with me to the storage unit and he’ll either goof off in the woods or sometimes he’ll want to train with me. He’s only 9 so I’ll let him use the 20 pound sandbag I made and he’ll do bear-hug squats, overhead presses, and bear-hug carries for distance. One day I loaded my sled with 100 pounds, hooked it to my belt, bear-hugged my 50 pound sand bag, and had a race with him. He bear-hugged the 20 pound bag and we ran for 100 yards up and 100 yards back. Of course he won and of course I felt like puking my guts and lungs out but he enjoyed himself and he felt included so it was more than worth it.

I don’t have a set “routine” because I prefer to be outside but until the weather here in Baltimore turned to crap I was trying this out…

Monday: Cardio and heavy gripper work

Tuesday: Log presses, cardio, and nail bending (warming-up with light grippers)

Wednesday: Chins, dips, cardio, and nail bending (warming-up with light grippers)

Thursday: Dead-lifts, cardio, and nail bending (warming-up with light grippers)

Friday: Cardio and heavy gripper work

Saturday: Cardio

Sunday: Jump rope, flip tire, drag sled, play with drum and keg, and go home eat and rest for a bit and then do some light cardio and maybe bend some more before dinner.

Life only let that work out for a few weeks. I try to do as much as I can before anyone gets home, include them in what I’m doing in some way, or at least be in the same area as they are.

As far as deciding what is important and making that a priority in my training goes, that would be my grip work. My main goal is to make the CoC#3 list. Everything I do training wise has to lead down that road in some way, even if it takes me another three years or more. That’s what I want. I’m in no way interested in being a bodybuilder, my joints are too shot to compete in powerlifting meets, and I’ll never have the size or strength to be in strongman competitions. Closing heavy grippers and bending steel however IS within my abilities.

Guest Bullitt

Dude, you're in Baltimore? I'm in Crofton and Goody is in DC. Chuck Carns isn't far away either. We definitely have to get together for a training session once this elbow of mine heals up. You also should compete in the Capitol Grip Cup in May! I'm like you, I fit stuff in and around my busy life.

You might try this if time is an issue. It requires rehabilitating your body to squat.

Monday: Squat. Grippers done in between sets. (45 minutes).

Tuesday: Medium cardio

Wednesday: Overhead presses. Pinch in between sets. (45 minutes)

Thursday: Light cardio

Friday (alternate between A and B) Friday A. Tire, sled. one set of RT hangs (no more than that). Three good bends after this. (1 hour). Friday B: deadlifts. Three good bends.

Saturday: nothing

Sunday: nothing

This gives you an entire weekend to spend on other pursuits.

Basically, what I'm saying is, you're wanting to have your cake and eat it too. You are doing too much given your schedule. This thread will continue to be unproductive until you decide to trim the fat. This is one way of doing that.

Edited by The Natural

Bullit, yeah, I live in Fullerton right on the county/city line. My grip is nowhere near yours man. I got into the whole grip game after rehabbing my hands from some pretty serious trauma. But anytime you want flip the tire for a bit, just let me know. It’s not super heavy, it weighs 526 lbs but it’s more than enough to give me a good workout. Compete in the Capitol Grip Cup? Not likely, a spectator is more like it.

Natural, sounds like a pretty decent routine. I have an open mind so I’ll give it a go for a few weeks after the weather clears up. I would have to switch the days some though but it looks like a general three day split. Back before I got my tire all I did was dead-lifts and grip work three days a week and cardio five. Perhaps I just got a bit overzealous with so many options?

Squats, hmmm… Back squats are out and my wrists aren’t flexible enough for front squats anymore. Maybe Zercher squats with my log-bar or Jefferson squats with my Olympic bar? I’ve been considering buying an IM hip belt but haven’t heard any serious talk about the results other than what IM says.

RT Hangs??? Please explain. Like doing dead hangs from a chin-up bar?

Irish I have the answer... you'll be shocked... take grippers with you and go to a gym and do compounds there. Or buy a rack?? Quite what your living in an apartment has to do with anything is beyond me. Half the guys here will NOT train at home wherever that might be. I used to but now do not. However, my earlier explanation is how I get to do the volume etc. We all make do with what we have.

Mobsterone, Gym memeberships cost money that I don't have to spend for an environment that I don't care to be in. Again, racks cost money and until I get into a bigger place, I can't have one. You may have taken my statement the wrong way. I'm in NO way complaining about living in an apartment or using that as an excuse. I PREFER to work out at home or in my Public Storage unit because it allows me some solitude when I need it. I'm not a people person. And again, I do compound movements, just not back squats or bench press. And besides, some of the gyms in my area have a "No Intimidation" clause and don't allow ANY "powerlifting" what-so-ever; a buzzer will go off if you grunt too loud. What the h*ll is America coming to??? Anyway...

My initial inquery was how do most guys juggle grip work, total body work, occupation, family, and life. If you don't have a wife and child at home, a fixed work schedule, or all of the everyday stuff that life throws at you just for fun then you can't really relate or offer too much insight.

However, thank you for all of your thoughts and advice. It will be put to good use and when I have the room and it's within my budget I have a welder lined up to MAKE me a power rack. And I'll be honest, I've never considered doing grippers or pinch work in between my overhead presses as Natural had suggested. But you can bet that I will now!

You can get a productive workout. Just a matter of using your head and whats around you. For 3 years when I was a teenager my squat rack was 3 cinder blocks stacked up on each side of me. It was scary as hell, but it worked. Before that we cleaned and pressed the weight, then lowered it to our backs.

Squat stands are cheap. If you cant afford them, go to a junk yard and get 2 matching old car rims and some scrap steel and pay a welder $20 to put it together for you. Go to play it again sports and get a bar. Buy plates there as well when you can.

If you have a barbell and some plates you can get a complete workout. If all you have is a log now, rack it and do front squats with it. As Rex said, squeeze grip in between sets of squats, deads, and overhead presses.

There is no excuse, bottom line. Many successful lifters have got keys to gyms to get a 3 am workout in before work. If that doesnt work, then have your kid join in and do pushups and sit ups in between your sets. Make it fun for him, it is still time well spent with your child. My kids love to train with me!

I work in a prison. I have seen men that are bigger and stronger then you and I and they do it with less equipment and much more restrictions then we have.

Get it done.

Bullit, yeah, I live in Fullerton right on the county/city line. My grip is nowhere near yours man. I got into the whole grip game after rehabbing my hands from some pretty serious trauma. But anytime you want flip the tire for a bit, just let me know. It’s not super heavy, it weighs 526 lbs but it’s more than enough to give me a good workout. Compete in the Capitol Grip Cup? Not likely, a spectator is more like it.

Natural, sounds like a pretty decent routine. I have an open mind so I’ll give it a go for a few weeks after the weather clears up. I would have to switch the days some though but it looks like a general three day split. Back before I got my tire all I did was dead-lifts and grip work three days a week and cardio five. Perhaps I just got a bit overzealous with so many options?

Squats, hmmm… Back squats are out and my wrists aren’t flexible enough for front squats anymore. Maybe Zercher squats with my log-bar or Jefferson squats with my Olympic bar? I’ve been considering buying an IM hip belt but haven’t heard any serious talk about the results other than what IM says.

RT Hangs??? Please explain. Like doing dead hangs from a chin-up bar?

Hip belt squats are great !! I've got plenty of strength with them !