What Constitutes A Good Close

Guest sjeff70

Guest sjeff70

After watching the video of Heath closing the Kaz #3, I was wondering how far we were allowed to assist our hand in closing a gripper. I understand why Heath did what he did but this got me thinking. How much help can we give ourselves?

Jeff

After watching the video of Heath closing the Kaz #3, I was wondering how far we were allowed to assist our hand in closing a gripper. I understand why Heath did what he did but this got me thinking. How much help can we give ourselves?

Jeff

Well, you HAVE to be able to get your fingers around the gripper to be able to close it. ;)

Actually the guys I know with big hands - me included - have more trouble closing the grippers without a good set. I said it in another post, some people's hands just seem to fit the grippers. There was a video of Tommy Heslep?? doing 10 reps last week. He used hardly any set which was impressive. Joe Kinney did the same with the #4. I noticed the way Heath closed that gripper and was wondering if someone would ask this question. I have a similar technique as Heath just not as strong!

Wade

Guest Mikael Siversson

For the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge competition, we have the rule that the handles cannot be beyond parallell when setting it. Personally, setting it that deep is not optimal for me.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Heaths setting does not look that deep to me. Its just that he closes it so quickly after letting go with the other hand. I set it in a very similar manner with my lefty but not as deep with my righty. :yikes

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I think everyone has thier " comfort zone " on where they like the grippers to be located at. Mine is different from one hand to the other.

sjeff70,

You are allowed to set the grippers as far as you want, but the close has to be started and finished without any assistance from the non gripping hand, or any other body part for that matter. For all people who think that they can set a #4 down to a fraction of an inch, then close it without aid from any other body part-try it. Most will be in for a rude awakening, as in most cases the handles will start spreading apart. No matter how close you set a grippers handles together, the last little bit is the toughest part, and that, of course is one of the biggest reasons why they are hard to close.

sjeff70,

You are allowed to set the grippers as far as you want, but the close has to be started and finished without any assistance from the non gripping hand, or any other body part for that matter. For all people who think that they can set a #4 down to a fraction of an inch, then close it without aid from any other body part-try it. Most will be in for a rude awakening, as in most cases the handles will start spreading apart. No matter how close you set a grippers handles together, the last little bit is the toughest part, and that, of course is one of the biggest reasons why they are hard to close.

No doubt Steve.

Guest sjeff70

Wow...this adds a whole new dimension to my gripper training then.

I've been starting my closes like Kinney, assisting about the first 1/4" or so. I've got larger than average hands but I need to assist it slightly, to tuck it next to my thumb pad.

So now it looks like I've been wasting a lot of sweep strength that could be going to close strength. Hmm...I wonder how much stronger I'll immediately get out of it! :yikes

Now I'm going to have to experiment on where I'd like to set the gripper in my hand. I've been setting it against my thumb pad because I know I can put it in the exact same place every time. The only problem with this, is that it might not be the most efficient placement. How do you know how far you should set it in your hand? Experimentation? :unsure

Jeff

The thing that surprised me the most was how easily he pinched the gripper closed to set it. I guess that shouldn't surprise me knowing that he has strong hands overall. But wow, it's as if pinching it was no sweat at all. Impressive.