Doing Grippers Cold

kelby

do you who can close a three or two just grab grippers and close them like that. or do you guys warm up first. for me sometimes i can shut the two cold. sometimes i am millimeter away. even the one sometimes i have a hard time with it cold. lol. but, once i warm up the two feels good. and 2.5 i can close at times.

my question is, do you guys get certified without warm ups. like grab the grpper and shut it. i find it hard to do with out the warm up.

I always feel a lot stronger after proper warm ups. My recent MM1 failure was an example of insufficient warm-ups. I progressively got stronger and stronger with each attempt but then I had expended my 3rd and it was time to turn off the camera. I continued with a grip workout that went well and hit another PR on the Euro.

My opinion is you need to warm up progressively to a gripper that is close to your goal gripper for good results at that point.

I always warmup if I am doing anything serious especially for a cert. When it comes time to cert it's time to squat and do grippers after that if it's a tough cert.

My gripper warmup has always been:

Tx10

1x8

2x5

3 for a few singles, usually one or two with a set and a no set

Move to goal or cert gripper

Guest Bullitt

In a perfect world, I always try to do a full body warmup of some sort (squats are the best), then warm up on some grippers before hitting the big grippers or going for a cert. I can close an easy #3 cold, but definitely not the way i like to do it.

Edited by Bullitt

I like to warmup too on the grippers. But like most of the #3.5 closers here, I can definitely smash an average #3 without a warmup. My warmup lately is:

-#2X5

-146lb #3X1

-154lb #3X1

-160lb #3X1

Then whatever gripper I want to work on that day. Usually a 169lb Super Elite and then a harder Elite or #3.5.

do you who can close a three or two just grab grippers and close them like that. or do you guys warm up first. for me sometimes i can shut the two cold. sometimes i am millimeter away. even the one sometimes i have a hard time with it cold. lol. but, once i warm up the two feels good. and 2.5 i can close at times.

my question is, do you guys get certified without warm ups. like grab the grpper and shut it. i find it hard to do with out the warm up.

I feel like you're asking two questions:

1) Can I do it?

2) Do I do it?

Any gripper about 150# or less I can pick it up and close it cold. It sure doesn't feel great, though.

As far as what I actually do, if I want to have a good workout, or for a certification, I will warm up. In general, I've noticed that my 4th or 5th attempt at a goal gripper is usually the best.

My warm up is usually the same. 10-20 reps with a really light gripper. 2-3 singles on a #2. A single on a mid-range gripper. Then on to the attempts.

Having said all that, I think Teemu gave good advice once. He recommended that to be certain you're ready for the #3 cert, you should be able to get ripped out of bed in the middle of the night, handed #3, and no set it on the spot.

For what its worth, I always have my best gripper sessions after doing a dynamic effort squat training session. After these I am not totally exhausted but my CNS is "primed".

I can close a big gripper cold, but I feel a lot stronger after I warm up. I usually warm-up with two sets of 10 on a light gripper, 2 sets of 3-5 on a #2ish gripper, a few reps with a #3, and then jump right into the heavy stuff.

I haven't done much work with grippers recently but i still start with the #3, i don't bother closing a #2 first or anything. That being said, i always do grip after normal gym training so i am warmed up anyway.

No problem closing my #2 easily, but I always do grippers after deadlift, bench or squats. Tried to close the #2 cold on Friday, and couldn't do it. Worked pinch, chinups and other grippers for 10 minutes and closed the 2 easily again...

P.S: not to mention the symphony of pops, cracks and other noises coming from my hands when I tried it cold...

Edited by bcpower66

Yep I can close a #3 or even most Elites without trouble cold. I much prefer a decent warmup beforehand. Always much stronger.

- Aaron

i prefer closing grippers indoors.:)

I prefer doing a few reps on a light gripper before closing anything i cant do more than 5 reps on.

Edited by alexis

I can no set my #2 cold any time. I never warm up, actually. It's a harder #2. My buddy's is so easy, haha. It was a reality check, that there was such huge differences in gripper strength.

With all this talk about warming up, I'm going to try my #3 after a warm up.

Wish me luck.

EDIT: Epic Fail. I got about the same exact result as when I try cold.

Edited by Puller

i always warm-up regardless, I sometimes wear gloves and use external heartsource like a fire or radiator when doing grippers. i love to get a sweat on before putting hurt on something.