Tns Gripper Cert

Paul Knight

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is the ideal spread for a TNS cert?

• 1.00"
    • 1.25"
    • 1.5"
    • 1.75"
    • 2.00"
    • 2.125" (credit card width)
    • 2.25"
    • 2.50"
    • 2.75"
    • 3.00"

What would be an ideal width on the spread of a TNS gripper cert for an even playing field?

uhhhh ... I'm either an idiot or I'm not able to create poll ... anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Guest Bullitt

I thought the Gripper Gods had already specified 2.125" (width of a credit card) as the optimum spread for a close??? :laugh:laugh:laugh

I think 2" would be about right. Even peeps with smaller hands could tns a gripper with a 2" spread. Anything less and it almost becomes a choked gripper close.

Guest Bullitt

Paul, I set this up for you. :D

What would be an ideal width on the spread of a TNS gripper cert for an even playing field?

Edited by Bullitt

Thanks guys! ... I was trying to add 2 1/8" as a choice as this is the width of a credit card ... anyway could you add this width to the choices? maybe you could remove 3" as I wouldn't think anyone would choose that spread width unless you're some kind of maniac - haha

thanks again

Edited by Paul Knight

Thanks guys! ... I was trying to add 2 1/8" as a choice as this is the width of a credit card ... anyway could you add this width to the choices? maybe you could remove 3" as I wouldn't think anyone would choose that spread width unless you're some kind of maniac - haha

thanks again

Done!

thanks again

Done!

cool! thanks Matt.

RB's cert gripper widths are different ... you can see from this vid:

I like the RB cert, but there are a series of cert grippers in circulation instead of just one set ... plus there is a HUGE jump from the 330 to the 365 ... needs an in-betweener

Voted 1" because that's the closest distance to parallel set, which already evens it up. With chokers though, it would be easy to do a TNS cert on whatever distance is decided up without having to make up new grippers.

Voted 1" because that's the closest distance to parallel set, which already evens it up. With chokers though, it would be easy to do a TNS cert on whatever distance is decided up without having to make up new grippers.

Jad, I can't remember if you've been to Gripmas. Is this what they do at Gripmas? No set with grippers in chokers?

Guest Bullitt

Jad, I can't remember if you've been to Gripmas. Is this what they do at Gripmas? No set with grippers in chokers?

Yes, no set. Grippers choked to parallel.

I think 2" would be perfect maybe 2-1/8".

I say this because I've got grippers I've had made for TNS

closes and for my small hands and at 2" my pinkie is in position

for TNS without any fiddling around. At 2-1/8" I have to slightly

squeeze to get my pinkie in position. I have 6 grippers beginning

at 2" and going to 2-3/8" in 1/16" increments.

I don't know of anyone with a smaller hand than mind that does grippers.

Also, I LOVE the idea of a TNS cert list. I've always been of the opinion

that a TNS close test your full range of motion crushing strength. A parallel

close proves you have crushing strength for that short range of motion.

So my vote would be 2" and no more than 2-1/8". This should cover everyones hand size.

Honestly, I'd say the closer the better if you really want a level playing field.

I can get my hand into a pretty good position on a 2" spread, but the optimum spread where I usually set a gripper is closer to 1.5". Anything over 2" will still be a slight disadvantage to the small handed guys. I voted for 1.5", but I say anything in the 1-2" range is ideal.

WOW! I was looking at the results and a lot have voted on 2.5"! ... crazy ... not what I expected. I thought it would be a toss up between credit card width (2.125), ..... 2", and the closest width to parallel. Interesting.

I personally voted for 2" as it is a little more narrow than CC width which I think is too wide if you wanna keep it fair and anything much smaller than that, IMO, would be a difficult gripper to build considering all the problems you could run into.

I like the idea of a TNS cert simply because it's easiest to judge, and you won't run into all the bullshit comments you get from fag youtubers who see your cert video and make ridiculous comments.

• Like 1

Just do 2"+ and allow a wider gripper if that is all the person owns. I have a few years of results when I had TNS grippers at my MI comp. The grippers were all 2.25-2.5.

Here is something unsuprising- The results looked alot like they would if MMS is used. I think using MMS for big grippers still requires alot of strength in the open hand part if you want to be good at it.

WOW! I was looking at the results and a lot have voted on 2.5"! ... crazy ... not what I expected. I thought it would be a toss up between credit card width (2.125), ..... 2", and the closest width to parallel. Interesting.

I personally voted for 2" as it is a little more narrow than CC width which I think is too wide if you wanna keep it fair and anything much smaller than that, IMO, would be a difficult gripper to build considering all the problems you could run into.

I like the idea of a TNS cert simply because it's easiest to judge, and you won't run into all the bullshit comments you get from fag youtubers who see your cert video and make ridiculous comments.

I didn't vote because I never measured the opening of any gripper. "My fault I did measure my 2.5 for Bullitt's tns cert list he made up" , anyway cause I thought tns was what ever the gripper offered you out of the package? How much variance is there between say my #3 and yours? Or how much could there possibly be, a 16th of 8th what's the standard susposed to be any way. Iron mind claims such a small tollerence "they say" why would it really matter. Or is this so u tubers can pop on a hose clamp and try to match your squeeze? But what if there gripper is calibrated different or set deeper or farther away from the spring circle, someones could be easier or harder, right? But one thing IS a good idea it would really work out great from contest to contest if we could all agree on something. Mabey you would have to have a certain hand size to quallify for a certain TNS opening??

Ok u guys can put me in my place now, Sorry for the hijack Paul, but your poll got me thinking of some unawnsered questions.

Rico

I didn't vote because I never measured the opening of any gripper. "My fault I did measure my 2.5 for Bullitt's tns cert list he made up" , anyway cause I thought tns was what ever the gripper offered you out of the package? How much variance is there between say my #3 and yours? Or how much could there possibly be, a 16th of 8th what's the standard susposed to be any way. Iron mind claims such a small tollerence "they say" why would it really matter. Or is this so u tubers can pop on a hose clamp and try to match your squeeze? But what if there gripper is calibrated different or set deeper or farther away from the spring circle, someones could be easier or harder, right? But one thing IS a good idea it would really work out great from contest to contest if we could all agree on something. Mabey you would have to have a certain hand size to quallify for a certain TNS opening??

Ok u guys can put me in my place now, Sorry for the hijack Paul, but your poll got me thinking of some unawnsered questions.

Rico

That'd be a new one! A hand size debate! tongue.giflaugh.gif

• 6 years later...
On 1/18/2010 at 0:14 PM, bencrush said:

2.5" is my vote. That seems to be reasonable for most hand sizes to TNS.

7 years later and my vote has changed to 2". Almost all the guys I see try grippers for the first time comment that it only "feels right" in their hand if the handle spread is closer to 2". 

Over Christmas, I got the chance to try the widest #2 I have ever seen. It is an old steel handled version and I get the feeling that the handles have been pulled open to make it wider spread than it was when it was new. The current owner bought it online a few years ago, but he said he never messed with the handles. And he was about an inch away from closing it no set when he showed me the gripper. The spread of this old #2 was 3 and 5/8"! I say WAS that wide (he measured it for me before my attempt with a steel tape) before I closed it for a reason. 

I closed it TNS and it was a bit difficult to get into any kind of strong position because of how wide the spread was. If I had been blindfolded I would've said it felt as hard as an average #2.5 at the close. It was easily in the mid-120lb RGC range. 

After I closed it, I thought it looked like it lost some spread. He measured it again and it was 3 and 1/8"! Still very wide. But a noticeable loss of spread. I actually turned down the offer to close it a few more times because I was worried the spring might break from someone tampering with it before they sold it. 

6 hours ago, bencrush said:

7 years later and my vote has changed to 2". Almost all the guys I see try grippers for the first time comment that it only "feels right" in their hand if the handle spread is closer to 2". 

Over Christmas, I got the chance to try the widest #2 I have ever seen. It is an old steel handled version and I get the feeling that the handles have been pulled open to make it wider spread than it was when it was new. The current owner bought it online a few years ago, but he said he never messed with the handles. And he was about an inch away from closing it no set when he showed me the gripper. The spread of this old #2 was 3 and 5/8"! I say WAS that wide (he measured it for me before my attempt with a steel tape) before I closed it for a reason. 

I closed it TNS and it was a bit difficult to get into any kind of strong position because of how wide the spread was. If I had been blindfolded I would've said it felt as hard as an average #2.5 at the close. It was easily in the mid-120lb RGC range. 

After I closed it, I thought it looked like it lost some spread. He measured it again and it was 3 and 1/8"! Still very wide. But a noticeable loss of spread. I actually turned down the offer to close it a few more times because I was worried the spring might break from someone tampering with it before they sold it. 

Timmy perhaps?

I too think 2" is the better one.

• Like 1