Correcting Unbalanced Strength

gollan

I work each side individually with dumbbells and one of the things I've noticed as my weights and reps increase is that my left (weak) hand is lagging behind, particularly in endurance. The first set of, for example, wrist curls, will go ok, I'll get to the same number of reps on both arms but on the next set I will fall two or three reps short on the left side compared to the right. Do you find there is a slight difference on each side? Do you do any specific exercises to fix this imbalance or just accept as many reps from each side as you can get? Or do you do just train with bars?

Edited by gollan

There's a simple solution to this: train your "weak" hand harder than your other one. I train both hands equally, but when I go to do my crushing work I almost always just my right hand. :happy

I am right-handed - however, for many exercises (full-body as well as grip), the left side is just as strong if not stronger. Sometimes it seems to change from workout to workout and is not something I am overly bothered about, however, it is NOT a problem for me. I also wouldn't find a difference of only a few reps to worrying. If you were many pounds weaker then I might consider that to be much more of a problem.

Suggestions? Don't do anything stupid to try and bring up the left. It may be inherently weaker and not be something you are able to fix - I wouldn't recommend doing much more volume or intensity for the left than the right. Training with dumbells can in itself lead to these inbalances - I would suggest you work with a barbell (which should help to even out the inbalance) if it is (or becomes) that much of a problem for you.

Edited by The Mac

To correct the imbalance, simply train your weaker hand first. I did this for my upper arms with curls. Just max out with the weak arm and stop at the same number of reps with the stronger arm. This ought to bring you up to par rather quickly, in my case, my left arm actually got bigger than my right.

Just max out with the weak arm and stop at the same number of reps with the stronger arm

That's exactly what i do and it works great...except when you are overtrained (which can happen fast if your addict to grip training) then it's rather a disaster for your left arm which is training harder still ! ;)

I'm like Snott. Can do almost equal things with each hands but on the grippers, I'm A LOT stronger with my right. Close the #3 right and the BBM left. Still very far on the #3 lefty. However, I can pinch 2 45's left and right. Can do the same weight on the plate curl. I admire those who can close a #3 with both hands.

My pinch seems to be stronger (or at least more reliable) with my left rather than my right, also certain thick-bar lifts.

On the grippers I am also far ahead on the right - but then I think that is the way they are wound?

I'm left handed and most of the time my right hand has an easier time closing the grippers even though my left is a touch stronger in most other gripping stunts. Is there something in the structure of the gripper that would favour the right hand????

Jon@han

I believe its more a matter of dexterity and control that make you crush harder with your right(if you are right-handed). At least for me. When I work with the left hand on grippers I feel a little out of groove, its just not the same control.

Guest Mikael Siversson

A weak left crushing grip can be corrected. A year ago I could close an average #2 for a few reps lefty. A year later, after some very hard work, I can close my single stamped #3 any day with my left hand.

My right hand is more coordinated than my left hand. Imagine throwing a ball with your dominant hand, then do the same with your other hand. Not as good as with your dominant hand.

Thanks, I learned several important points from the comments. The most important is that there is more than one "problem" to overcome:

(1) Awkwardness with the "off" hand. A natural by-product of "handedness".

(2) The gripper is "reversed" between hands. In the right hand the thumb-adjacent handle is above the spring. In the left hand the thumb-adjacent handle is below the spring. I'm guessing that the right hand configuration gives me better leverage. Anyway, this explains the tendency of the gripper to rotate and slip in my left hand when I am exerting maximum effort.

(3) Right and left forearm endurance is slightly different (and most likely of little consequence).

I am training for overall strength so I am willing to take a little longer to reach the various gripper milestones in order to develop balanced strength. In other words, the day I certify on a #3 with my right hand, I will also close the #3 with my left hand. Easy to say, I know. I admire the training dedication of the members of this board.