I Remember Joe

1stCoC

As many of you know an irongame icon Joe Rollino 104 year old ex boxer and Coney Island strongman was killed in a car accident yesterday. He was a man of steel, lived clean, never took more than an asprin and lived what "strong is". The first time I met him he was surrounded by adoring younger strongmen. I didn't know who he was but I figured "he must be somebody". He waited for 45 minutes for a simple bowl of soup and angered as everyone else was he thanked the waiter for the soup. I watched him as he picked up his spoon, frowned a bit and took his thumb and middle finger to straighten the bent soup spoon. I was blown away. When he turned I secretly tried the same thing and failed miserably.For a moment our eyes caught each others and he instantly pointed his finger at me and said "I remember your eyes",... "I saw you at the 1968 Senior National weightlifting meet". I was at a loss how could a man see me at 56 and still remember me from age 18. We became instant friends and each year I saw him at the Old Time Strongman dinner. He promised me a quarter he bent at age 95 and the very next year he walked up to me with it fulfilling his promise. I have held that quarter tight today. We lost a great one....God rest him. Richard Sorin

He was obviously a great man! May he rest in peace!

Mr. Richard, awesome story. Seems the world lost a great man. My thoughts and prayers are with is family and friends.

I hope someone does him justice in print, the history and knowledge of such a man should be immortalized for posterity. My prayers for all concerned. Rest in peace Joe.

Sad day indeed.

Huge loss for sure.

Joe had tons of oldtime strength knowledge.

I met the great Joe Rollino at the AOBS dinner in 2005, still have the picture of us. What a great man.

Thanks for sharing this inspiring Story, Richard.

R.I.P.

Thanks, Richard. And I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

ahh, that's sad. i was just reading about him. i have a muscle book and he is in it. this is sad. i can only dream of meeting people like you and him. sorry for your loss, and ours. may he find peace.

did you ever get to straighten a spoon with middle finger and thumb.?

Richard,

I met him and had my pic taken with him at the AOBS and I remember

what a spry man he was! I am saddened to hear of his death, because

I honestly believe he would have lived a lot longer than 104.

:sleep