New B

Legendofjd3

Hi all... My name is John. Been into powerlifting and other different athletic activities since I can remember. Entered my 1st powerlifting contest @ age 14 in 1984. Set an american DL record as well as 3 other records that day and have been hooked ever since. The deadlift I did was 370 lbs. @ 119 bodyweight. A record that still stands today. Was into alot of other feats... verticle jump, pullups, shuttle run, etc... and had to be the absolute best at everything I tried. Just really love to compete I guess. Bought my very first gripper, CoC #1, last year, and have been loving it ever since. My GF just bought me the 2.5 CoC for X-Mas and i'm still waiting to try it out. I will open it and give it a go pretty soon. Funny thing... just today I closed the #2 left handed, for the first time ever!!! I had an accident years ago and kinda did some damage to my left thumb. Broke it very well!!! Not to make excuses right off the bat but my left hand is just not anywhere near my right hand in strength. I was very surprised when the handles shut with authority!!! Happy as well. I'll be opening my new gripper next week, with the camera running and see how the 2.5 goes. I feel pretty good about it. I'd like to add a little something here. I work all over the state (upstate New York) as a delivery driver. I sometimes carry the CoC #1 with me just to let others try it. Believe it or not, in all my travels only 3 have closed it on the first attempt. Prob about 75 have tried. I think sometimes people that are really into grip strength, like members here, forget just how hard a simple #1 is to close. I've been surrounded by powerlifters my entire life, but I'm talking about just your average person. These things are really difficult. Also, just one more thing. My hand from wrist to tip of middle finger measures only a hair UNDER 7 inches!!! Thanks mom!!! Genetics.. LOL. I sometimes have a hard time getting set up. Always looking for tips to help me along the way. My goal someday is to close the CoC #3. Not to be certified or anything, but just to make those handles touch. I'd be happy enough. That's it I guess. Cheers, J

Take your time. Develop overall handstrength and hand size will not be an obstacle. First time I grab a #3(May 2007), I said to myself that it will only be a collector's piece. Now I close it every time I pick it up.

Train hard, with consistency.

Good one! yes indeed people forgot that a #1 is still a tough piece of equipment, many can't close it the first try.

good luck and I am sure you will gain strength very fast!