Wrist Rollers

Guest iron_addict

Guest iron_addict

this is a question for all the people on the board who use a wrist roller in their training. i was just wondering if you guys prefered to do them by turning both arms at the same time or by doing on arm after the other. i have been experimenting with both. thanks for all replies and best of luck with your training.

With the roller slightly below shoulder level, I alternate

hands to get the weight stack off the floor about six inches, then using both hands together, simply twist the

roller using straight arms using the fullest range of motion.

I have never seen anyone use alternate arms to get the

stack all the way who used staright arms- always a lot of

bending at the elbows, even shoulder involvement. Maybe

people do it, but I have never witnessed it with anything other than very light weights.

Sometimes I get the stack up the six inches, then stand

in profile to the machine for one arm twists

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Lately I have been rolling the weight untill it was just off the floor, Then letting go with one hand and hold in place for time. I do this rolling it forward and backward, Both hands. Give it a try. Not much on your forearms, But great on grip.

A Wrist Roller Lunatic I am! Pretty much my staple forearm exercise.

Try isolating this exercise to just your forearms by placing your forearms on your knees/upper legs while sitted. Using a heavy, heavy weight roll it up alternating hands, rolling quickly but firmly. When you are finished with your reps do a few wrist curls with the weight extended just off the floor. A great finishing burn for each set for sure!

An alternative/modified wrist roll would be to place your forearms on your upper leg and knees while sitted. Now grasp the wrist roller and roll away with your palms facing up. Feels much different than standard (palms facing down) wrist rolls. A little awkward at first but you soon will like the pump.

Advantage of isolating your forearms like this is that you can use heavier weights and you don't quit the exercise as quickly due to elbow, upper arm, shoulder, and upper back fatigue. Also if you are suffering from back pain and injury standing straight arm wrist rolls are not recommended as they can be extremely stressing to the cervical, thoriac, & lumbar regions.

I'm using an Ironmind roller set on a barbell at shoulder height.

I use one hand at a time except when the knot is binding then I'll

us the other hand just to get over the knot. Best so far has been

160 lbs with one hand alternating. Finished the set just as the

bleeding began to wash the chalk off but had a great pump. Then

did pinch grips with two 25lb plates. This was a productive workout.

wells-tomricci,

Love the wrist roller too....we are takeing a few weeks off of grip though..... :angry: We have a 2incher and a 2 3/8" and plan on making a 1.5 incher too.

I sometimes Roll it up about 12 inches..and hold with one hand.Let it down and roll it up and hold with one hand.This seems to tax the grip some-the thumb and of course forearms.

Also of course do full 'wrist rolls'all the way to the top and sometimes with a lighter weight stand on a box-which adds another 15 inches and roll it all the way up.What a burn..pain seems to be the only limitation and I'm beginning to like the pain :blink

I Use a different size roller..every other work out.

I use more poundage on the 2 incher and less on the 2 3/8.

Josh Bigger does more on the 2 3/8"and less on the 2 incher...go figure.....Others in the gym generally prefer the smaller roller also????

**Go to 'More Josh Bigger'photos for shots of our 2 3/8" roller......

I think in our contest we may have a wrist roll MAXimum weight event and roll it just 12 inches UP...as height won't effect the results..(we have experimented with all sorts of strange angles also :stuart )But a maximum wieght(up)..for short distance(12 inches) will be pretty intense test and shouldn't take too long.....

yes love wrist rolling also..can't wait to get back at it..