2010 January - 2009 In Review - climber511

climber511

2009 in Review

This year I turned 61 years old. I got my first set of weights in 1959 – This year I start on my 51st year of working out with weights, doing various sports etc. I’m still looking forward to each and every day.

I worked out or did something physical anyway 285 times this year with various routines. Everything from a walk with my wife to a 5 minute grip workout to a 2 hour full body session to a contest or a day climbing is included in this number. Some of those I wouldn’t classify as much of anything really and some were pretty good workouts.

The highlight of my year was climbing a 14,000’ mountain in Colorado with my wife, son, and 8 year grandson – the little guy never quit! I spent my usual week climbing at Seneca Rocks in West Virginia and had a great time again.

I pretty much quit short bending except for reverse in preparation for and in contests – I did bend a 6.5” Bastard bar reverse this year. One hand IM Axle DL of 187# at Gripmas, not that great but hey, a PR is a PR. I closed a 188.9# gripper in a choker, pinched 227# at Gripmas and 235# in training. I was proud of my Medley performance – only getting one less than all the big boys did. I won the Lightweight class this year at Gripmas and finished 5th overall there – pretty happy with that – Gripmas is the grip contest I really train hard for each year. I’m in 10th place on the all time Euro Pinch list – I managed to hang in there all year this year.

I did three Highland Games and 3 grip contests – lots of fun! I didn’t manage any Olympic lifting or Kettlebell comps this year. I set a few new PRs, depending on how you look at it. Some brand new – some improvements on old lifts. Some of which I have done better when younger but haven’t done for several years.

I donated, however modestly, to the GripBoard. I think it is important to contribute to the sports you love in some positive way that isn’t done for profit.

I put on The Gripmas Carol grip contest again this year – the second year now that we used weight classes – it seemed to work out pretty well again (I think it is the future of the sport but then I would wouldn’t I) – we also had a Ladies class which I think people really enjoyed. Two new choked Gripper World Records, two new Euro Pinch World Records, an American one hand axle record for a competition and a Gripmas sledge record. 13 of the top 50 Euro Pinch lifts ever done were done on one day here at the Gripmas Carol this year!

I climbed indoors about 20 times – and outside not so much – maybe 15 days.

I did some type of aerobic workout about 100 times this year. Most were pretty easy with either Concept 2 rowing or hill walking but some interval track work and heart rate monitor weight training too but did some Prowler work too – this thing is a killer! I did a lot more KB work this year and planned on doing the Grivory Sport competition at the Arnold until I hurt my back - again. In training I did a ten minute set with one hand switch of 175 reps with a 16K bell – nothing special but not bad for training it only a few weeks – one hand switch is a whole different ballgame.

I did lift enough in training to qualify for the Masters World Championships in Olympic

Lifting – it doesn’t count of course but I was pretty happy about it none the less. It is one of my goals to reach this each year. Being able to do a full squat snatch is something I use as a measuring stick for my overall aging – as long as I can do the motion in an acceptable fashion even with moderate weights – I believe I’m maintaining movement skills etc at a decent level.

I lifted the Inch DB a couple inches off the ground (maybe 3 – 4”) a few times and did a full lift with only 5 pounds of back weighting – an idea of Bob Sundin’s. I think if I could focus on it for more than a couple workouts – I might actually have a chance at it.

I did Astanga Yoga about 40 times – sad and I’m paying the price for it – I need much more of this. Much more!

Health wise I still have a few things I and my doctor are trying to deal with. Of course, lots of aches and pains of no real consequence that just come from living an active life for so long. The anemia number is up very slightly (better) but still a problem, especially in regards to going back to Nepal to climb – other than trying some drugs which I’m not willing to do yet – I’m working with diet and supplements with some small results – we have yet to find a solution good enough to allow me to think I can go to 20,000’ again in a few years of working on it.

I learned a lot from other people that I hope will help my training in the future. Thanks everyone!

I was in Dale Harder’s newsletter a couple times – again an honor!

One of the girls I coach in Track finished 5th in shot at Districts as a junior but won’t be throwing this year as she feels she has to go to work to help out her family.

My family and I are still healthy and happy – we have enough but not so much that we can’t still enjoy having to save for whatever it is that we want.

Very nice Chris. It gave me a chance to reflect on a lot of things, and review my "PR Journal", which is a personalized leatherbound book that my daughter gave me for Christmas 4 years ago. It forces me to take seriously my PRs, using my best printing. Then, more reflection. Here it is:

1. I have 15 pages of PRs over the last 4 years, to the nearest page, as follows:

2006, 7 pages

2007, 3 pages

2008, 4 pages

2009, 1 page

2. The PRs for 2009 tended to be "overall strength" PRs (deadlift, trap bar), and there were zero gripper PRs.

3. I was in two contests in 2009. Robert Alva's Southern California Meltdown in July, and The Nationals in September, produced by Jedd Johnson. Robert and Jedd, I cannot thank you enough for letting me have that much fun!

4. Closed 4 different Number 3s in those contests, plus an easy Elite.

5. After many years, I finally met Chris Rice and Dave Thornton. (I had met Jedd at an AOBS in 2005) It was a pleasure meeting both of them, two outstanding performers who keep on choogling year after year. And more importantly, outstanding people as well.

6. Boldy attempted my Second Certification at AOBS on the Number 3 and failed. No way was I ready this time, but figured maybe I could get lucky and draw a 147 pound gripper. It was a 154. I won't ever rely on luck again.

7. At the Fit Expo in LA in January, I finally met Wade Gillingham. My brother had met him 7 or 8 times over the years. Experienced the Humiliation of the short-lived Super Teflon Rolling Thunder in public at GNC's Grip Gauntlet.

8. During 2009, I got two free grippers from Randy Strossen (for being a Lab Rat), and at AOBS, two free beers from him. My son got four free beers. That will be the last time he offers to pay my son's bar tab! I paid for my failed Certification Gripper.

9. An off-the-wall trip to Los Angeles to see Stanless Steel's movie, "Strongman", spend time with Stan and Barbara and Barbara's sister Linda and Director Zach Levy, was surpassed only by the unconventional article on Stanley that I submitted to MILO for publication.

10. I LOST 40 POUNDS IN 2009! Never lost that much weight during a calendar year in my life. That is one PR I don't plan on repeating.

11. Got my 3rd pair of Chuck Taylor customized Hubgeezer shoes for Christmas. My wife has done so 3 of the last 4 December 25ths. Each one is a little different from the previous version as to design, stitching color, and where it says "Hubgeezer". In the last 25 years, the only positive comments I have gotten from women in their 20s concerning my appearance has been "Nice Chuck's".

12. In early 2009, I received my license plate that reads "HUBGEZR".

Having fun with this stuff, staying healthy, meeting new people, self-improvement? It doesn't get any better than this. :rock

Happy New Year everyone, and I hope 2010 brings good things to all of you.

@climber511: The most important thing is that you and your family are healthy, as well as that you still have fun and enjoy training/sports/events.

-----

2009 was the year that I returned to training after a long pause, and I have more fun than ever before because I also started my grip training and found this wonderful site(lots of friendly advice, encouraging and ideas).

I made several PR's in 2009, big steps for me, even if they're just a warm up for some guys here...

I still suffer from tennis elbow/tendonitis, but it's bearable nowdays and I learned a lot that did not knew before(extensor work, streching, contrast baths). I feel strong again in my hands.

I wish my family and I to be healthy and happy.

All in all, it was a good year for me, and I hope 2010 will be a very good year as well.

Happy New Year to all the people out there!

Edited by kogba

awesome write up Chris ... always a treat

Pretty inspirational stuff right there. Thanks for the taking the time to post it.

Well, in regards to lifting weight, this year sucked, but finished with hopes. In fact, the past two years have been crap for me, but I think now, FINALLY, I will get stronger. In mid 2008 I had AC joint surgery in my right shoulder, which healed perfectly and for about 4 months I was training nicely, until in November that year the left one got screwed. Same deal. Must be a posture issue. So from November '08 to about July '09 I just did what I could to keep myself in shape, but no big lifts of any kind, losing strength by the day. I had the same surgery I had on the right side, now on the left, in July.. and a few months later it seems to have healed perfectly. So in November '09 or so I started going "heavy" (for me, which is still at novice level) and I actually finished the year nicely. On the last day of 2009 I strict pressed 115# for 4 reps which is 10# more than I ever pressed for that amount of reps ever. My DL and Squat strength are just about 10# off on my 5 rep maxes and I just had my first two squat sessions in about 13 months, that's also a good sign! I am now training smarter and I know I'll finally be decently strong sometime in 2010 :)