How Much Affect Does Grip Training Have On Other Exercises ?

gareththomasnz

I have been lifting 25 years. I just began grip specific training about 1 month ago. Can close 200 lbs for sets/reps easy & can just about close 250 lbs - under 1 cm off doing it.

So lets say I get it to 300 lbs in 4-6 months (which would be great). Just how much difference does it make to other lifting ?

What if I bust my ass & get it to 400 lbs ?

I am doing not just gripper but general forearm also.

pullups holding objects, if your into armwrestling it will give you an advantage... holding on in the deadlift, clean movements, kettlebell exercises having a good grip will give you an advatage, also lifting awkward objects, stone lifting

The way I see its like a chain of events - like with a stronger forearm and grip you can handle more weight in all the upper arm, shoulder & chest stuff. From there deads & squats will improve too - plus the obvious benefit for deads.

What I am wondering is how it will correlate to the actual strength increase in hand and forearms.

If i manage say to get my grip to 350 lbs from 230 lbs - how will this affect the poundages in my other lifts as a percent increase.

Its funny how so many neglect the grip & forearm for years - myself included.

If you go with the irradiation stuff it's big. The harder you can grasp something the greater the engagement of all of the surrounding muscles.

There is a great article from the CrossFit Journal Issue 66 called, "You can't lift What you can't hold on to" by Tony Young....

I can't attach the .pdf file here but if you want a copy shoot me a PM with email and will send it to you. It is a really good article.

not sure it would help with any push movements (shoulders, chest) lol, certainly all pull movements stand to benifit

your only as strong as your weakest link in any movement but thats particularly true of deadlifts and even heavy rows. hamstrings, erector spinae, lats and traps will laugh at say 50kgs but forearms will have to start paying attention (unless your using wraps). speaking from personal experience my back work has really benifited from an improved grip, particularly on extended reps or sets

3 words, "Full Body Tension." Also known as "staying tight." The more tension you build up in the body, the more you will lift in whatever lift you aim for. Anything that involves the hands can benefit from grip-specific training; Deadlifts, benches, rows, pullups, curls, etc. The more confidently you can grasp something, the more confidently your other muscles can do their job. Hands are one of the most common weak points on any lifter.