Gripper At The Office

airdevil

I brought in 12 IM grippers and 6 RB Grippers, from the IM Sport all the way to the RB365 to my office at work. I started a list of right and left handed closes for all of my co-workers. This was about 5 months ago. Now there are about 30 people on the list, with about 6 or so that stop by regularly to try and move up the ladder. I'm an engineer at Lockheed Martin and I sit in cubicle heaven. Very office space like.

It seems that most women can close the guide, few the sport and a trainer closer is a rare find.

Most of the guys can get to the Trainer, but the #1 or RB130 stops them dead in their tracks.

One guy got to the #2.5 MMS within about 3 months. Very impressive.

Edited by airdevil

When I got my IM Trainer, 1, 1.5, and 2, I let my girlfriend try and I think she was able to close the Trainer. She is pretty tough and her hands are almost as long as mine, so I think that she'd be able to close the No. 1 after not too long.

Being a student currently it would be a bit odd if I whipped out a bunch of grippers before class, but I plan on getting my male relatives to try out the grippers when they come over to visit. One of my uncles is a farmer/farm equipment mechanic with huge forearms and I've been really interested in how he'd do with grippers.

My wife can close the IM #1 right hand.

When I got my IM Trainer, 1, 1.5, and 2, I let my girlfriend try and I think she was able to close the Trainer. She is pretty tough and her hands are almost as long as mine, so I think that she'd be able to close the No. 1 after not too long.

Being a student currently it would be a bit odd if I whipped out a bunch of grippers before class, but I plan on getting my male relatives to try out the grippers when they come over to visit. One of my uncles is a farmer/farm equipment mechanic with huge forearms and I've been really interested in how he'd do with grippers.

I'm not sure how odd it would come across... everytime I show them to someone and explain what I am using them for, there is usually some interest. Not very often does someone dismiss it completely... Maybe they are thinking Weirdo in their head!

lol i pulled mine out before class and showed some people, fun stuff

I hope we're still talking about grippers :yikes

I took mine in to where I used to work, a few got the #1 and one guy who worked as a fitter in the labs mashed my #2 virtually no set.

i brought the # 1, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 at work:

-2 out of 14 people closed the # 1

-Most people thought anything above the 2 was some kind of joke...until i showed them.

-but i work in a office with people that are not very physical...

Its probably one of the best ways to find someone who is gifted in the grip department and show them our world...

My missus can close my #1 as well. I think it's from packing stretchers around all day. That and being a Finn. :tongue

Its probably one of the best ways to find someone who is gifted in the grip department and show them our world...

Hey!! i just read that your an engineer at Lockheed!! I'm an structural engineer at L3-MAS and we work on the F18s. We also work in a cubicle heaven...like most of the aeronautical world. Wow cool...

Some guys actually seemed interested in getting a stronger grip...some felt it was time to get back in shape...I gave one of them my #1 over the holidays so he could practice.

My missus can close my #1 as well. I think it's from packing stretchers around all day. That and being a Finn. :tongue

Oh, she gets no credit then. She can't help but be good at grippers.

Edited by Magnus

Hey!! i just read that your an engineer at Lockheed!! I'm an structural engineer at L3-MAS and we work on the F18s. We also work in a cubicle heaven...like most of the aeronautical world. Wow cool...

Some guys actually seemed interested in getting a stronger grip...some felt it was time to get back in shape...I gave one of them my #1 over the holidays so he could practice.

Nice. I work on the Hellfire II missiles...

There are definitely a few that keep coming around to improve themselves. When they ask why I do it, I tell them that I'm a rock climber. Although that is true, the crushing grip doesn't carry over to well.

When I got my grippers I did the same thing. Also, took a variety of steel to see what the "average Joe" could bend.

As for the women, my wife couldn't close the sport but 2 girls at work could. Neither could close the trainer but my trainer is probably above average.

For the men, a suprising ammount of able bodied guys couldn't close it. Maybe 50 percent. Only 2 or three guys could close my #1 and it wasn't who I would've guessed. I didn't show them a deep set or anything, just showed how to set it like Kinney did, just enought to get your fingers around it. My #1 is almost like my 1.5 though and smooth knurling from 06.

For the bending, most guys who were fairly stout could bend 3/16 square overhand and only one guy could do 1/4 round hot rolled and his best was an easier G2 bolt. Nobody could brace bend a 3/8 by 12 inch piece completely and one big guy tackled a 9/16 by 3 foot bar and got a good bend in it but couldn't finish it for him.

In order to appreciate what happens on this board, you have to know what "average" is.

Tim