So.cal Grip Meltdown 2010

lone Wolf

• 3 weeks later...

Hey anybody out here in Calif. ? Had a pretty good contest last year

Sorry. This just goes to show how "laid back" Californians are (with the nonreponse). Yes, I should be up for it. Looks like the first Saturday is May 1. No way would the next weekend work, as it is Mother's Day.

I will email Odd. He told me to keep bugging him as he does have an interest in this stuff.

Maybe Gripzilla will have his back in shape enough to enter a contest.

For those reading this, Robert did a good job, an amazing job, converting a HOT day into something 100% manageable with shade, mist, and fans.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

What will the events be?

Grippers : MMset

V-bar

IM Hub

2HP

Axle or 3.5 dumbbell deadlift

Medley

Wrist roller

pretty much what we did last year does anyone have a problem with the May 1-10

I work on saturdays. What time? I live in norcal, but I may be able to make it, if the time and place are right:)

:mosher

Around 10:00 am and I live in San Bernardino

Trying to decide what to have 1" or 2" V-bar

Axle or 3.5" dumbbell deadlift

PM me will which you prefer post result in 2 weeks

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to decide what to have 1" or 2" V-bar

Axle or 3.5" dumbbell deadlift

PM me will which you prefer post result in 2 weeks

Thinking about coming out for this. I would prefer the axle, and 2" vbar myself.

- Aaron

Hey guys, I'm back at it here..closed the gym at the end of November, put most of the big, heavy stuff in storage, but brought home a lot of other equipment so I can train in my garage, including a few grip implements, and so, not to conflict with LW's Meltdown 2010 in May, how about a contest at my place in June or July? Probably make it a 6 or 7 event comp, thinkin' COCs, Apollons Axle DL, RT, Block, Hub, and throw in a coupla othr things. I live about 10 miles east of where the gym was. Thoughts..????????????[/font] :cool

Edited by ironwarrior

Hey guys, I'm back at it here..closed the gym at the end of November, put most of the big, heavy stuff in storage, but brought home a lot of other equipment so I can train in my garage, including a few grip implements, and so, not to conflict with LW's Meltdown 2010 in May, how about a contest at my place in June or July? Probably make it a 6 or 7 event comp, thinkin' COCs, Apollons Axle DL, RT, Block, Hub, and throw in a coupla othr things. I live about 10 miles east of where the gym was. Thoughts..????????????[/font] :cool

ironwarrior, aka Kevin Meskew, aka Our Fearless Leader, aka the guy who brought Grip Competitions to Northridge, Muscle Beach, and Chatsworth, aka the guy who gave many of us our first grip contest, aka the guy who has produced the most grip contests in California to date...

I probably would be interested. Robert, sorry this is in your thread, but we are all in the same pool here. Kevin, you probably should start a new thread...

Mike, first off thank you for the kudos. Good to see you're still involved. Just wanna say I never intended to "step in" on Robert's thread, as I fully support all strength sports and their athletes and directors, and was only putting out a "feeler" for a date, so as NOT to conflict with Robert's intended date, as I intend on attending his event as well. And seems Robert doesn't appear to have a problem with my post in this thread. Anywho, enough ranting from my foul mouth..it would be good to see you guys again at Robert's place. Robert if you need me to bring anything lemme know. Is there an entry form or info sheet going around?

ironwarrior, aka Kevin Meskew, aka Our Fearless Leader, aka the guy who brought Grip Competitions to Northridge, Muscle Beach, and Chatsworth, aka the guy who gave many of us our first grip contest, aka the guy who has produced the most grip contests in California to date...

I probably would be interested. Robert, sorry this is in your thread, but we are all in the same pool here. Kevin, you probably should start a new thread...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay Family emergency came up

the event will be

1. Grippers

2. IM Hub

3. 1" FBBC V-bar

4. 2HP

5. Axle

6. Medley

7. Wrist roll 3" pipe 4' chain fastest time wins

• 2 weeks later...

Should call this contest "Return of the 1" Vbar" since it's going to be the first contest in a while to feature the 1" vbar in the States. Okay, there might've been another one here recently, but I've lost track with my other training. Then there's the CGC and the 1" vbar figures in that contest too.

• 3 weeks later...

Who is going, and is it May 1 or May 8?

My daughter just popped a last minute, "oh let's have a birthday party for me at Grandma's on May 1". Were we on for May 1? Maybe I can get her to change it to May 2, Sunday. Her day is May 4.

So far it's just 4 people again me ,Steve B.,you and fernando aka gripzilla

May 1st about 10:00 am

here's my address

Robert Alva

6861 Del Rosa Drive

San Bernardino,Ca., 92404

was just notified yesterday of 2 of the guys dropping out of the contest

so I'm forced to cancel the contest I'll will be working on trying to

bring another contest in the near future.

Robert Alva

was just notified yesterday of 2 of the guys dropping out of the contest

so I'm forced to cancel the contest I'll will be working on trying to

bring another contest in the near future.

Robert Alva

Yep. Terrible tragedy.

Unbeknownst to everyone but Robert, myself, and Odd, we were close to getting Odd Haugen to compete and make a run at the grip contest recognized World Record in the double overhand Axle deadlift. He had not committed to it, but the contest was cancelled because we did not have 4 confirmed contestants.

Robert would produce the contest, and do all of the hard work that goes with it, if there had been 4 confirmed contestants. Southern California (I am from Central California, 350 miles North of Robert) is a huge population center. It would seem like there would be more people interested in contests than interest that has been exhibited on the forum. I don't get it, don't get it at all. :angry::flame:online:unsure:whacked:trout

Robert is considering re-scheduling, and possibly having fewer events to compensate for San Bernardino being a little out of reach for travel plans.

I hope that others chime in and show their interest. Speak up, and say what time of the year you would like to see something. And if you are against San Bernardino because it is too far, throw out an area of Southern California that you think is more traveler-friendly. But if Jedd Johnson can bring people to his place, which is pretty far off the beaten path, I don't see why Robert's place is so difficult to make something happen.

Mike C aka Hubgeezer

I wish I could make it out there guys. Sorry the contest was canceled and we won't get to see if Odd can smash the DO Axle record.