Pinch - Reps, Singles Or Holds?

Benedikt Farsmann

I've seen a video on youtube (no link, sorry) where a guy does reps with some plates and he keeps holding the plates while all he does is moving his back up and down. How does that effect the pinch? I was thinking if this is useful at all? If I want to hit the back I'm doing deads or anything else! Wouldn't it be better to just hold the plates? I mean I want to hit the thumb/fingers not the back, huh? In my opinion holds are much more effective. What do you think is better?

So, what is he doing with the plates whilst "moving his back up and down" - is he not holding it?

From the sound of your post it sounds like he is doing reps, although it is hard to tell.

Yes, he is holding the plates and yes, he is doing reps but what I wanted to point out is that it seems to me that the up and down movement isn't necessary to hit the thumb/fingers. He only works his back with the up and down movement. The pressure on the hands seem to be the same as if he would just stand there and hold the plates for max time. So why move the back up and down if it doesn't matter? ( :cry language :help )

Guest Bullitt

Without seeing the video, it's tough to tell what he was doing. But it sounds like he was working the grip dynamically. Stopping the weight on it's decent and accelerating back up works the grip in a totally different way than static holds.

If I am understanding what you are saying - the object is the quick reversal at the bottom and the overload it creates - it's a very effective training technique. I do it both bent over and as a shrug motion - it's a sort of dynamic eccentric training - it's very effective with the Axle as well - doing repetition high pulls etc.

Like Chris said. The acceleration of the pull and the decelleration when he hits the bottom of the movement effectively add weight through counteracting inertia and creating it. One of the reasons it's easier to lift with two hands and you can release and hold with one but not lift it with one hand.

Without seeing the video, it's tough to tell what he was doing. But it sounds like he was working the grip dynamically. Stopping the weight on it's decent and accelerating back up works the grip in a totally different way than static holds.

If I am understanding what you are saying - the object is the quick reversal at the bottom and the overload it creates - it's a very effective training technique. I do it both bent over and as a shrug motion - it's a sort of dynamic eccentric training - it's very effective with the Axle as well - doing repetition high pulls etc.

Thanks guys! Never thought about it like that.

Like Chris said. The acceleration of the pull and the decelleration when he hits the bottom of the movement effectively add weight through counteracting inertia and creating it. One of the reasons it's easier to lift with two hands and you can release and hold with one but not lift it with one hand.

That example pretty much explains everything to me. Thanks a lot!