My Gripmas Sledge Of 29.5 Lbs

jpmmkrahling

I wanted to post this first, it's the only event i did not come in last place :yikes , i will look to what other pics & video's i have tomorrow, sorry, i just want to go relax with my family.

This was my final completed attempt at the sledge of 29.5 lbs. Chris's set up definately made it alot easier for everyone, but it was VERY safe and easy to judge. I am really glad he came up with this set up, Thanks again Chris

Bob also did this same weight (congrats Bob and thanks for pushing me), but i did not get that on video, i hope someone got it for him. We both failed at 30 lbs, but if Chris ever has this event in the future, 30 lbs will be a definate level for a bunch of us.

The energy from all the people in the room made all the difference, thank you everyone for cheering me on, and helping me with this PR.

• Like 1

Congrats to both you and Bob for a beastly lever, Mike!

^^ Exactly! You and Bob have really raised the bar on this event - amazing. Great, great levering, Mike!! :bow:bow

Congrats buddy!!! Is that a WR for one arm lever??? Slim did 56lbs divided between 2 hammers... I think. I could have that way wrong though.

Edited by tchcalvin

Congrats buddy!!! Is that a WR for one arm lever??? Slim did 56lbs divided between 2 hammers... I think. I could have that way wrong though.

Nevermind, that was front lever and I think it was each hammer.

I think the 56 lbs was for both hammers but his was un supported, wrists above his elbows at ALL times and with no guide rails. Chris's set up definately helped ALOT, so there is no comparison to Slim with this event. But i was still happy considering we all used the same set up at the comp and i was able to tie Bob. I would have a long way to go to do a 28 lb sledge, slim style. And doing that with both hands would never happen for me. Slim is still on another level by far.

Thanks you to everyone for your comments, this board still keeps me motivated to keep getting better. Now i just need to work on the rest of my grip strength for next year

Edited by Mike K

Very strong Mike! I'm looking forward too gripping with u after the new year.

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Rico

He's coming to the Capitol Grip Cup in the Spring. You better be there too parris. :D

Rico

He's coming to the Capitol Grip Cup in the Spring. You better be there too parris. :D

I. Already mentioned it to the wife. Me and Mike could ride together. I would love to be there!

Rico

Guest Bullitt

I think the 56 lbs was for both hammers but his was un supported, wrists above his elbows at ALL times and with no guide rails. Chris's set up definately helped ALOT, so there is no comparison to Slim with this event. But i was still happy considering we all used the same set up at the comp and i was able to tie Bob. I would have a long way to go to do a 28 lb sledge, slim style. And doing that with both hands would never happen for me. Slim is still on another level by far.

Thanks you to everyone for your comments, this board still keeps me motivated to keep getting better. Now i just need to work on the rest of my grip strength for next year

Taking absolutely nothing away from Slim here. Tons of respect for the man. But... he didn't do it in a competition like you and Bob did. Don't be too humble here Mike. You two own the world record for a competition sledge lever with calibrated plates. Period. You da men! :mosher

Was his done without Chris's safety setup? Yes. Were yours done under contest pressure and without heavy leather wrist wraps? Yes. Two totally different deals. Enjoy it boys. Right now, you are the best in the world until someone steps up in a contest with calibrated plates and beats you. :bow

Taking absolutely nothing away from Slim here. Tons of respect for the man. But... he didn't do it in a competition like you and Bob did. Don't be too humble here Mike. You two own the world record for a competition sledge lever with calibrated plates. Period. You da men! :mosher

Was his done without Chris's safety setup? Yes. Were yours done under contest pressure and without heavy leather wrist wraps? Yes. Two totally different deals. Enjoy it boys. Right now, you are the best in the world until someone steps up in a contest with calibrated plates and beats you. :bow

Mike's lever shows great strength, and I think he's got great potential, but I far as I can tell, Chris's set-up is the only one of its kind. This makes "world record" inappropriate. Grip has a bad reputation already for inventing low-risk world records, and I thought for a while that this trend was moribund, but it appears to be just as alive as ever, to the detriment of the sport.

Congrats again Mike.

-Rex

Chris's set-up while different from anybody else's takes a dangerous and very subjective event and makes it safe and very standardized. I look for his set-up to be the future of sledge events. Big congrats to Mike and Bob for crushing the record!

I will have much more to say about Gripmas later of course. I have expected Rex's comments since I made my device several months ago. It is my opinion that this is a legitimate record. But it is the Gripmas Carol Record on my device - nothing more and nothing less in my mind. And Rex - I am coming to believe the biggest negative in the sport of Grip may just be your negative comments - not the relative "danger" involved in any aspect of grip strength. If you are so into risk - perhaps you might serve your country in some meaningful aspect - I'm sure they can use the help - and you could certainly find the "risk" you seem to be seeking in the dangerous world of whatever sport it is you are doing now.

It is my opinion that this is a legitimate record. But it is the Gripmas Carol Record on my device - nothing more and nothing less in my mind.

And hopefully Chris you are kind enough to have a Gripmas 2010 and have this event again. Then we can see if that record can be broken. And anyone can come and see how they do on the set up. I still think it is a good thing that you made something that adds both safety and ease of judging so we can take a strongman feat of strength and put it in the mix of a grip comp.

Chris' setup is not perfect, but now we know what needs to be and what can be improved. The setup itself needs to be stiffened, the foam could be reset after each lift to eliminate bounce entirely(something I think was originally intended but innocently forgotten about at the start), and the rails could be moved apart another 2" overall to bring more side-to-side into the lift while still allowing for the setup to catch the hammer in case of a bailout. The setup as it stands currently gives the lifter too much I think, but that's just a personal opinion. I like it as it was contested, but I think it could be better. It ended up giving me about 2lbs ontop of what I have done in my room supported without rails, but I think others may have recieved a slightly bigger boost.

Chris' setup is not perfect, but now we know what needs to be and what can be improved. The setup itself needs to be stiffened, the foam could be reset after each lift to eliminate bounce entirely(something I think was originally intended but innocently forgotten about at the start), and the rails could be moved apart another 2" overall to bring more side-to-side into the lift while still allowing for the setup to catch the hammer in case of a bailout. The setup as it stands currently gives the lifter too much I think, but that's just a personal opinion. I like it as it was contested, but I think it could be better. It ended up giving me about 2lbs ontop of what I have done in my room supported without rails, but I think others may have recieved a slightly bigger boost.

I am already thinking about version 2! From a promoters point of view - having someone rip their arm off isn't all that appealing a thought. I think with some redesign work - this will be an even better event than it was.

I will have much more to say about Gripmas later of course. I have expected Rex's comments since I made my device several months ago. It is my opinion that this is a legitimate record. But it is the Gripmas Carol Record on my device - nothing more and nothing less in my mind. And Rex - I am coming to believe the biggest negative in the sport of Grip may just be your negative comments - not the relative "danger" involved in any aspect of grip strength. If you are so into risk - perhaps you might serve your country in some meaningful aspect - I'm sure they can use the help - and you could certainly find the "risk" you seem to be seeking in the dangerous world of whatever sport it is you are doing now.

It has nothing to do with danger and safety. It has to do with making the pond bigger. What you are attempting to do is no different than someone creating a one of a kind 6.4' DL bar, hosting a meet with it, and claiming the biggest pull to be a world record deadlift. In some formal sense it may be a "world record", but it is a very low risk one that others do not have good opportunity to break, unless, of course, they travel to your basement and use your special bar. But that would not happen. The rest of the world would continue to use the 7' bar and ignore you. That is precisely what will happen in the hammer case.

-Rex