Do You Have Strength On Command?

rico300zx

20 members have voted

1. 1. Can you lift your blob anytime you want?

• yes
    • no
    • only if ive been training for it
    • i can usually get really close but no cigar
  2. 2. Can you close your best gripper anytime you want?

• yes
    • no
    • only if ive been training for it
    • i can usually get really close but no cigar

What do you think guys? Can you pull these off out of the blue when friends or family show up at your house. Or if you get all pumped about reading about someone else doing a cool lift. And your not warmed up but still go for it???

Feel free to add your reasons why you can or cannot.

Rico

Ps I changed the poll from public to private so it wouldn't hinder anyone from voting.

Edited by rico300zx

To admit that you can close your best gripper on command is to admit that you don't own any hard grippers. Or, interpreting the question another way, it's to admit that you're weak.

-Rex

Rex, do you ever let up? I actually only own 3 grippers. And the second part, that's y I changed the poll to private as an after thought.

Parris - I think the answer depends on how easy the Blob or item is for you. For me it's a true max effort lift so I cannot do it whenever but someone like Jedd etc who totally owns it and can do it with added weight can do it anytime he walks by one. If you can do any feat of strength easily that is one thing but if that feat is very very close to the best you can do then it isn't going to happen cold or every time you try it. PR lifts cannot generally be done at will. My best ever gripper is just that, certainly not done at will.

I can get my three to about 1/4 inch from close on a good day, but I just tried now, and I got about a 1/2 inch. Why? I'm tired, I've had two mojitos, I've had a long day at work, I was mashing it the last two days, my veins are cold, my mental toughness is at a roaring null, I ate really bad tonight at chilis, I should probably be in bed. There are many reasons why I can't get as close. And yes, being able to close your toughest gripper at any time means that you need a tougher gripper.

There are good days and bad days. The human body is very complex.

I have no blob.

For grippers, I avoid to close hard grippers if not warmed up. I like too much training to get injured just to show others that I'am strong. If I have to show someone how hard can be a gripper, I simply choose a #2. It's quite enough. I close it no set and around me, I've never found someone able to close it :laugh

I have no blob.

For grippers, I avoid to close hard grippers if not warmed up. I like too much training to get injured just to show others that I'am strong. If I have to show someone how hard can be a gripper, I simply choose a #2. It's quite enough. I close it no set and around me, I've never found someone able to close it :laugh

Yes, but when your friends are armwrestlers and gripsters, a 2# wont cut it, haha. :laugh

I do my best grip work after a little weight training. I have to get my CNS fired up before I get PR's.

the hardest gripper ive been able to close is my 2.5 and no i cant always close it but often i can depends how recently ive been training i have a 3.5 which is the toughest thing i own and i cant close it at any time ;)

Hey guys thanks for all your comments from the votes so far it looks like we have better luck with the bolb compared to the gripper. From this small data what do you think it means? We all own a gripper above and beyond I guess. Or is it that gripper strength always needs to be actively worked to bang out your best? Right now half the guys can lift the blob anytime, does blob type strength as in wide grip correlate to evey day use somehow that people are having so much better luck? Or do you think that half the guys are just blob dominators?

I think some guys can just nail a blob easy, so it isn't a max. Ask Jedd if he could do a blob cold or his best ever gripper and I bet Jedd would even add weight to the blob and make it a cakewalk. If you can hit your best ever lift anytime, you gotta learn to psyche up or peak your training.

When I first started training with grippers I was at my "best" all the time. I remember reading something from Richard Sorin about being smart and warming up to avoid injuries. I never understood that concept until my grip got stronger and more aches and pains moved in. Now I need a lot of warmups.