Reverse Bending Insights

MitchSA

After putting a kink in a red last week and an even better 20 deg kink this week ive realised a few interesting things with my reverse bending.

1. Chris Rice helped me with this big time! I was only using my RH and my left was not really doing anything expect supporting like a pipe.

2. I'm actually better in thinner wraps, IM's are what im using now, I seem to be able to exert more force on the nail, with leathers i kept on losing my grip. Obviously its more painfull but its better. I wonder if anyone has has noticed this while reverse bending?

Just some thoughts..

After putting a kink in a red last week and an even better 20 deg kink this week ive realised a few interesting things with my reverse bending.

1. Chris Rice helped me with this big time! I was only using my RH and my left was not really doing anything expect supporting like a pipe.

2. I'm actually better in thinner wraps, IM's are what im using now, I seem to be able to exert more force on the nail, with leathers i kept on losing my grip. Obviously its more painfull but its better. I wonder if anyone has has noticed this while reverse bending?

Just some thoughts..

We all know that less padding ALWAYS equates to more force applied on the nail, horseshoe, wrench, etc., thus an "easier" bend. Like you said, the only draw back of thinner padding is more pain because of decreased leverage, etc. etc. Thicker padding gives a leverage advantage, yada yada etc. etc. I guess its a matter of choosing your poison.wink.gif

I definately agree that you need to use both hands. Personally i use my right to get it started and once it is moving i push in with my left. I have found if i only use my right i have a real hard time getting it to 40 degrees.

I have never tried thick wraps with reverse. I have always used my steel slayer wraps at 1.25" dia, but it makes sense to just overcome the pain.

I always use thin wraps for reverse. Just looks and feels better to me. I will say though one time I used fat pads and moved my hands out to more of a push/pull movement and I destroyed my old PR but it just wasn't fun to me so now I use leather that's probably 5/8 of an inch wrapped around a nail.

Tim

Terance - you are soooooo close to getting the Red Reverse - it won't be long now. IM wraps are a little too thin for me (I'm a sissy) - my leather is about 1" when wrapped on a Red sized bar and I agree the really fat wraps don't help. As I told you at Andrews - its all about figuring out whats the best way for "you" to get the best leverages and force into the bend - you'll figure it out - no doubt in my mind. Good Luck!

I also recently figured out your #1 there. I was putting my wraps pretty much in the middle of the bar and using all wrist for the bend. When you push and pull I think you get some upper body into the bend. It makes it HARD and difficult to kink center using the former method, but I honestly don't think it's something I'm going to cut out of my training, because it works your wrists like nothing else!

Edited by easyWeight

Yup, the red will fall soon :rock

I use double wraps mostly with reverse bends. My pad setup is slightly asymmetric: I put the front pad very close to the center but leave the back maybe an inch off. This way I can incorporate some push/pull along with the wrist twist and get it bend close to the center.

Thank you for your comments gemtlemen! < <