Im Pinch Block

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I recently got a IM pinch block. I am sure some will not agree with me, But I feel that the surface is to slick. I feel that your pinch strength could be better tested if it didn't depend on how dry or how oily your skin is. I am not saying to put sandpaper on it. But maybe a texture such as a plate has on it.

It IS slick..and I don't really care for the surface either( so I agree it's slick)...but apparently they(IM big Blocks) are all the same?Consistancy for comparisons anyway?

With so many types of surfaces on 'plates'-and even the age of the plates-type of paint on plates-wear of surfaces- and even the variance in the width of plates ,etc... being pinched ...and wooden blocks being used and so on it may be the best way

compare apples with apples. :blush

We look at Wade Gillinghams 65 lbs of weight -on that apparatus- as the number to work towards...and (i guess who cares)it's the only pinching we'll be doing.....and perhaps use the old one..which is narrower but very slick...also.

I have one of these "slick" pinch blocks too, and I have found that I get a much better grip on it by having slightly moist hands. In my experience with this block, chalk only makes the surface more slippery.

Something I've found that helps when lifting these kinds of slippery implements is to apply chalk to your hands and then rub it all off (kind of like you're rubbing lotion into your hands). When I've done this it gives my hands an 'almost moist' 'sticky' feeling.

Although I've never tried either IM pinch block I imagine that the experience can be quite humbling. Yet, whether you're doing 45 pounds on an IM block or 90 pounds on a more porous implement the force that you're hand is exerting should still be the same. Correct or am I missing something?

BC.

Brian I do the same thing chalk up good for grippers, then thick bar. By this time the chalk is rubbed in real well, then I try the block and it seems to help.

My 2 cents, for whatever it is worth.

I built my own pinch block from a block of wood with an eye bolt at the bottom, rigging weight to it with a chain.

I seen so many discussions regarding the 'slickness' of a certain piece of equiptment.

Simply put, you need some friction between two surfaces so that they pressure exerted (if sufficient) allows the weight to be elevated. 'Slickness' only adds the notion of sliding and/or static friction to the situation.

Personally I don't see the concept of 'slickness'. If 'slickness' was such a valid challenge, then why doesn't someone hold a contest based on a 'slick' block that has been sprayed generously with WD40, vegetable oil or the like. I just don't get it.

Personally I don't see the concept of 'slickness'. If 'slickness' was such a valid challenge, then why doesn't someone hold a contest based on a 'slick' block that has been sprayed generously with WD40, vegetable oil or the like. I just don't get it.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what it is you don't get so this may be a bit of a ramble...

Instead of 'slickness' how about 'very non-porous'? Are you saying that implements that are less porous are no harder to lift than implements that are more porous?

I have actually dipped my hands in cooking oil and pinched 10 pound plates before. I would imagine that it's not done in contests because, for one, it's very messy. Messy on the hands, on the implement used, and on the floor. Objectively, pinching a 'very non-porous' object is no more, and no less, a valid challenge than pinching a very porous object (e.g. rusty, weather beaten plates). It's simply that the poundage pinched will vary widely according to the porousity of the object used in the exercise. Subjectively, of course, our ego is much more satisfied if we pinch more poundage. Remember when some here were surprised that Wade pinched 'only' 65 pounds on the new IM block at the US Nationals last year? No one has done more yet of which I'm aware.

BC.