5/16 Hrs Fun

John Beatty

I finally tried the 5/16 Hot rolled, and it's pretty darned easy. Reversed one to 90, DO'd a few, and tried a DU (which my little girl wrists could not even warp). Fun stuff, and I'm going to try some of the 3/8 soon, too. I'll try to get some to Eric for calibration this week or next. I think we'll do a cert called the "Hot Bastard" and do the 5/16, 3/8, 3/8 square. My supplier doesn't carry 5/16 square HRS, which is a shame, as that would be really fun.

It's different isn't it? For reference, Eric cal'd a piece of my A36 5/16 and 3/8 at 250, and 440 a couple years ago. Both pieces were 7 inches.

The 16th sizes are becoming increasingly harder to find so I'd stock up a little.

I'd like those certs. The 3/8 has a viscious crush on it compared to the kink.

Later John,

Tim

I've been told that the 5/16" HRS ranks in between the 1/4" CRS and 1/4" HRS. Any truth to this?

I think it was tougher than 1/4" CRS, but not by a lot. I was thinking about grade 5 level.

Guest Bullitt

I've been told that the 5/16" HRS ranks in between the 1/4" CRS and 1/4" HRS. Any truth to this?

I think it was tougher than 1/4" CRS, but not by a lot. I was thinking about grade 5 level.

Eric calibrated a 6" piece of 5/16 HRS for me a couple months ago. It came out at 435#.

435 is really high for 5/16 hrs. Did you get it from a steel supplier or was it one of the 3 foot sticks from a retailer? The stuff that you get from Lowes and those places is actually more like mild CRS. HRS, will always have a scale that flakes off when you bend it.

I agree with John, 5/16 HRS is tougher than 1/4 CRS but not by alot. Probably like 1/4 CRS hex or similiar. Probably tougher crush.

Tim

Guest Bullitt

435 is really high for 5/16 hrs. Did you get it from a steel supplier or was it one of the 3 foot sticks from a retailer? The stuff that you get from Lowes and those places is actually more like mild CRS. HRS, will always have a scale that flakes off when you bend it.

I agree with John, 5/16 HRS is tougher than 1/4 CRS but not by alot. Probably like 1/4 CRS hex or similiar. Probably tougher crush.

Tim

It was the 3' stuff from a hardware store. Had an HRS tag on it, but it seemed pretty tough for HRS. Definitely a wider bending angle like HRS (more rounded), but it didn't flake.