Sos Grippers

austinslater

I just got my grippers from John at pda, 280 and 295. They both are harder then my 2 and easier then my 3 although the 295 is pretty close to the 3. This should help me on my way to the 3. How does everyone else compare? ALso the 280 said 502 on the handle, is this the IP? Thanks guys

I wouldn't worry about the #'s, I think it's been proved they mean jack. If you can close them, close them. If not work harder until you can.

Ihave a 309 that is about the strength of a #2 and a 325 that is very close to my #3, and my #3 is A LOT tougher than any #2 I've tried.

Ok i know the IP @ closure is not at all a precise indication of the difficulty to close a gripper but who has heard of a #2 (or even a #3) beyond the 500IP range...

I think it would be going too far to say that IP isn't at all an indication of the difficulty of a gripper.

According to the PDA Calibration thread:

#1: from 182IP to 254IP @ CL

#2: from 263IP to 307IP @ CL

#3: from 359IP to 452IP @ CL

#4: from 522IP to 587IP @ CL

Conclusion: among the grippers of the board PDA tested there's no #1 with a higher IP @Cl than a #2, no #2 with a higher IP @Cl than a #3 and no #3 with a higher IP @Cl than a #4.

IP @ CL is not a "complete" non-sense...

Austin,

I too recently bought a PDA 280 & 295. I find that my 280 is harder than my IM 2 and is easier than my IM 3. Last time I made an attempt at the 295, I was farther from closing it than I was my #3. I am very close to closing my 3, but have not tried the 295 since I got it. I will give it a go again tonight and see if I can close it.

My 2 PDA grippers have some large numbers on them as well. As far as the numbers go, I believe that PDA was working on a new rating system, but discerned that any rating system was inaccurate and thus discontinued that effort. I think those large numbers are a remnant of that new, yet discontinued system.

Amaury,

The difference between the 1 and 2 in that list

is 9 IP- an excellent training step in terms

of resistance, but confusing in terms of

comparing strength.

Whoever could close that 1 could probably close

that 2- an evident fact if they are side by side

and available. But if you own the 1 and I own own the

2, and we chat about it here, a whole new perception

arises- that is, that I am an entire step ahead of you,

when in fact I probably am not.

If those 9 IP dissolved, then your conclusion would not

be valid.

I say again, comparing strength on the same brand of gripper machines will yield meaningful comparisons.

Guest Mikael Siversson
IP @ CL is not a "complete" non-sense...

No, but pretty close. I recently had the opportunity to compare a PDA 437 ip and a PDA 520 ip. They look almost identical and they feel almost identical. The 520 ip is nowhere near a #4 in difficulty. If you could just close the 437 you would have 1-2 mm left on the 520. There would definitely be the odd #3 out there harder than the PDA 520.