Plateaus

Roark

Tom,

I agree with the finger strength point you mentioned. If the fingers are not strong enough to hold the plate in place then it doesn't matter how strong your wrists are, the plate will simply not go up. Sounds obvious, but the full realisation didn't hit me until a few minutes ago.

Edited by The Mac

Chris,

The same slap in the face realization hit me when I

tried a 25 pounder.

Someone who is very good at grippers told me once that

if he tried to wrist curl what I do, his wrists would break.

There is for practical purposes no carryover factor from

the one feat to the other if only one of the movements is

trained. :(

I think I will have to start taking wrist/plate wrist/plate curls far more seriously in my training - my partial deadlifts are showing me I may have a (comparative) weakness in my wrists, in that as I set up my grip on the bar with bent wrists they are pulled down (straightened) far too easily for my liking. I think the sucess of David Horne seems to be based at least partially around his tremendous wrist strength - so there are worse models to follow in this regard. :dry:dry

Edited by The Mac

Guest CalvinP

I am amazed by the fact someone who can bends steel like Tom, and yet 25# plate curl present a "problem". I can't simply understand the hand yet! Can someone tell me if the hand can have equal power of a entire leg? it seems like it to me. I meant most people can't do a single leg squat of 350# , yet the best hand can close a coc with such a force if not more, wow! :bow

Calvin,

By 'single leg squat' do you mean one rep or do you mean

one leg?

In either case, the most people could come upward in

the squat position to close a 350 pound gripper, if not

to elevate 350 pounds, even using only one leg.

It somewhat depends on which section of the squat is

being tested- the closer to complettion (top), obviously

the stronger.

But you may have inaugurated an entire new certification

category- Captains of Squat Crush! :D

Guest CalvinP

I meant One leg squat for 1 RM. At the bottom of the squat with the one leg at 90 degree or less how many can squat-close #3 coc? I wonder.

What I's trying to say was a person who can squat 600# (which is a lot) plus 1 RM with 2 legs is obviously strong. Half of that is 300# , then there are people who can produce more than 300# force, even more than 400# force with the hand alone. But I don't know diddly squat! :laugh

Calvin,

You are comparing apples and oranges between pounds and inch-pounds. Inch-pounds is a measure of torque, pounds of force. There obviously is some relation, like when I stand on my old Silver Elite and it doesn't close because it takes something like 220-pounds on the end to close.

As far as the 25-pound plate wrist curl being a "problem," not really, that literally was my first attempt at doing them. I still need to get a feel for the exercise. I think I could do reps within a couple of weeks.

Tom,

Do you include barbell wrist curls in your workouts?

I have trouble performing a proper negative rep with a

25 lb plate, but I suspect it will take me longer than a

fortnight to do positive reps- but I'll keep trying. :D

Guest CalvinP

Tom

When it comes to you, I always thought you can do any thing with your hand N wrist. But I was surprise that 25# plate gave you any sticking point at all. Chris is one of my fellow armwrestler weighs 172 #, and he can plate curl, or he can flip it around and catch its other end, by the way he's very good at armwrestling. But my grip seems stronger than his, if vertical bar lift indicates any thing. :D

Guest CalvinP

Yes Roark

Chris did 25# plate wrist curl (I should have made that clear, sorry), and yet he didn't care much for grip training. I suspected his arm wrestling training help him with that. But he used regular plate (1" hole), not the Olypmic type (which the rim is thicker therefore is heavier toward the edge)