Rest Time Between Setswith Grippers?

cwdutton

Gripboard,

I've noticed that there isn't any info on this. Do all of you rest a certain amount of time between sets like a regular lift? My hands are killing me as of today because I've been overtraining on these darn things. I'm going to take about 3-4 days before I hit 'em again.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris

Gripboard,

I've noticed that there isn't any info on this. Do all of you rest a certain amount of time between sets like a regular lift? My hands are killing me as of today because I've been overtraining on these darn things. I'm going to take about 3-4 days before I hit 'em again.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris

I think it's mostly personal preference. I personally don't like taking any more then 3 mins in between.

I only do singles on my target gripper and warm up to these doing multiples of no fixed quantity on my easier grippers.I tend to listen to how I fel on the day rather than adhering to strict warm up figures. I leave at least a minute between singles and warm up sets.

Make sure you do the contrats baths and extensor training for your hands.

I only do singles on my target gripper and warm up to these doing multiples of no fixed quantity on my easier grippers.I tend to listen to how I fel on the day rather than adhering to strict warm up figures. I leave at least a minute between singles and warm up sets.

Make sure you do the contrats baths and extensor training for your hands.

Now with the contrst baths, do you start in the warm water for 1 1/2 minutes, the go to the cold for 30 seconds or do you just rotate every 30 seconds? Extensor training is something I need to start very soon.

Thanks

to be honest I haven't soaked mine for a while :blush I tend to go for even times in each, probably 30 seconds whilst the water is really hot and gradually extend it out to say 45 secs. That however is just my preference, others may disagree.

I've been doing the Teemu method of a full 5 minutes in between sets and while the each set is very high quality it sucks taking 25-30 min to do 5-6 sets. I usually have to go upstairs and screw around on Facebook or something because I can't just sit around all my grip stuff for 5 min and not try something.

I've been doing the Teemu method of a full 5 minutes in between sets and while the each set is very high quality it sucks taking 25-30 min to do 5-6 sets. I usually have to go upstairs and screw around on Facebook or something because I can't just sit around all my grip stuff for 5 min and not try something.

I've found more rest between stes to be more productive as well easily getting 3 - 5 minutes between sets to rest and usually trying to break up the total workout into 2 work periods during the day as with this much rest and with the amount of sets/reps I do the grip workout can be 1 3/4 hrs long or more. Just what I like doing anyways.

Great! Thanks a bunch guys for the help.

How long are you guys doing the contrast baths for? I did some earlier for a total of 4 minutes, and my hands don't feel any better.... too short of time?

Thanks

Great! Thanks a bunch guys for the help.

How long are you guys doing the contrast baths for? I did some earlier for a total of 4 minutes, and my hands don't feel any better.... too short of time?

Thanks

A while back I would go for maybe a minute in each bath for 4 to 6 cycles. Now I find just holding my hands under cold running water for about a minute or so works well. The biggest thing I found that helped was making sure I worked the extensors. Between each set I'd force my fingers open against my other hand for about 3-5 reps. This seems to work well for me.

I used to keep my hands in the hot water until it hurt, then into the cold until they felt, well, cold. I stopped when my hands felt better. I don't do it anymore, but I don't train my grip specifically, save for a few mashings on a gripper. I do attempted minor feats, just to see where my grip is at. As for length of time between sets, experiment. See exactly how long you have to wait before you can close your target gripper again, after the first set.