Heat Rubs Containing Capacin

Jonathan McMillan

I forgot to post about this but last week while at the drug store I was looking for some heat rub to help warm up my hands for gripper work. Instead of getting the usual Tiger Balm I tried this one product with Capacin(?spelling? the same chemical thats in hot peppers) and menthol. Well holy cow!!!! It was like Tiger Balm strong to the exponent 10!!!!! Great stuff, I'll post the name of the product I bought tomorrow as I don't remember which one it was but the drug store I went to had many diffferent ones with the capacin ingrediant

Jon@han

Jonathan,

Stick your tongue out :tongue and give it a taste! :tongue If it's REALLY HOT :yikes:yikes ....then, you're right, it contains that "pepper stuff". Having a glass of water ready when you do this makes you a WIMP!! :laugh:blink:laugh

Sybersnott!

Better yet rub your eyes with the stuff :yikes

My hands still have some heat in them now and its 2130 ...I put some on at 1400 today!!!

The name of the ointment is Menthacin -it's a Canadian brand containing 0.025% Capsaicin and 4% Menthol. Great stuff!

Iron Mind sells another ointment with Capsaicin called NicoFlex. I've tried it and it's really really really hot!! But the ointment itself is very "gucky" for better lack of terminology.

Jon@han

Youngguy,

I haven't tried Icy Hot but Tiger Balm is nice stuff just wimpy compared to anything with Capaisin in it. Keep your eyes peeled at the drug store etc. as I've seen Tiger Balm sold in supermarkets drugstores, all over the place so you can try it out for yourself. I really like the Strong Tiger Balm as the cinnamin (man I can't spell that word) in it adds to the whole tingle factor but it stains stuff easy.

Jon@han

Go to some place like Tractor Supply company and get some sort of horse linament. Equitite and Equiblock both contain capsiacin. Equitite is the stronger version.

Interesting Stuff That Doesn’t Belong on the Grip Board:

The tiny heat receptors on our skin (the same in our mouths) are little protein structures shaped like a bucket with a lid. Depending on the surrounding temperature, the protein changes shape. As things heat up, the “lid” opens, allowing ions to flow in to the bucket. These ions stimulate an attached nerve. The more ions in the “bucket”, the hotter the nerve feels. When the skin and the heat sensing proteins are cold, the “lid” closes and the nerve isn’t stimulated.

Capsain (and all other pepper oils) is a protein. This protein has the ability to bind to the “bucket lid”, forcing the lid open regardless of the surrounding temperature. This forced open lid makes the body think that it is hot. As a response, the body increases blood flow to the area to cool it off.

Yup. Capsain chemically alters a heat-sensitive protein, tricking the body to feel heat. And yes, there is no way to tell the difference between actual heat and the chemical heat, so the body responds the same way to each stimuli.

Sorry. Couldn’t let that bio-chem degree go to waste… :blush

Guest Youngguy

Awesome reply :rock ! I thought those rubs just burn your skin and do nothing, but that makes perfect sense now. I think I will pay more attention to muscle rubs now, and start using the icy hot I got.

Bender thanks for the science class!!

Did you ever see the Scientific American episode on TV with Alan Alda(spelling), I vaguely recall they gave a similar explanation to yours. It's interesting stuff!

Jon@han

I meant to post these the last time we were talking about these products. I've tried a few of the products in the links below that are available at a local Chinese herb store. I don't think any have capsaicin, which might be good for people who don't like the burning. I like the "Po sum on" oil the best. The big advantage of these over Tiger Balm is that they dry very quickly, the Tiger Balm always ends up staining my clothes but the "Po sum on" oil and Wood lock do not. I think I may have tried the Kwan Loong Oil as well, but it's hard to tell from the box. The "Wood lock" is weird in that it has turpentine as one of the ingredients (but it's not listed as an ingredient on the link below). It kinda freaked me out that it was in there, but the stuff did work good. One ingredient it has is Camphor (so does Tiger Balm), which is rarely used because it is very flammable. I remember reading once that no American company will touch the stuff, becuase it's dangerous to manufacture. In final form in the bottle it's probably fairly safe.

Many brands:

http://www.veryasia.com/health.html

Po sum oil details:

http://www.winghopfung.com/winghopfung/posumon.html

Another Po sum on link:

http://www.morningstarhealth.com/store/product138.html

• 2 weeks later...
Go to some place like Tractor Supply company and get some sort of horse linament. Equitite and Equiblock both contain capsiacin. Equitite is the stronger version.

Excellent tip. I got 16oz for around $15! About the cost of 2, 2oz tube at most places!