Axle Dead Bar?

cwdutton

Greetings gripboard,

I posted this in my newbee info, but I feel this is a better place for it.

Where in the world do you guys get your 2"+ axle bars from? I'm looking for the most affordable option or an easy diy'er.... I've combed the junk yards and have come up empty, almost choked on shipping of a piece of cold rolled steel. So my last option is a fence post. Seems like a good option, but having trouble finding a 2" size. I found 2 3/8 which would be great, but (and excuse my ignorance) how do you load olympic plates onto it if its that thick?? I found a cheap hollow thick bar for a good price (about $150 shipped), but wondering if there's a cheaper way to obtain the same thing.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris

Welcome to the grip board, go to the hardware store and i think it's 1-1/2" galvanized pipe (usually near the cast iron black pipe). That gives you 1-7/8" OD so plates fit on it. Then you can use spring clamps to hold the weight in place.

I would not get galvanized but regular black pipe and actually a ting called "handrail" is even better and cheaper. I would then sand it down to bare metal so that it compares better to a regular IM Axle and can season with use. Galvanize is not a healthy thing to play around with long term.

I used 1 1/2ID and put 5 pieces of rebar inside and packed it with a slurry of grout with a thin rod, then got axil split collars from McMastercar.com to make the stops and then I use my olympic spin collars to hold the weights in place. It weighs 45 lbs without the olympic colars. And is bad*ss

Rico

I also made one from pvc with same size 1 1/2 ID , and I inserted a 1" bar (and used grout to cement it in there), to accept the 1" weights I use for my outdoor gym. And its awesome too. I painted it with flat black paint. And I never slip grip on it either. And I don't use chalk outside .I use it mostly for over head pressing and throw it on the ground from over my head after every rep with lik 200lbs on it and its still kickin after all this time.

Now, is it better to use pvc or black pipe? Pvc has been known to be a bit stronger.....

We're talking about black steel pipe. PVC is nowhere near as strong as steel pipe.

Guest Bullitt

Here's one that Mike made http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=33156

You'll probably find it useful if you want to make your own.

Isn't this one made of "black pipe"? like pvc/abs?

Steel pipe, coated with that slick black coating. It's actually the thicker steel. I've dropped it with 350 on it and no damage. I haven't sanded it down, because the 1.5 ID pipe has a 1.9" outside diameter, so I thought I would keep it slick to make up for it being slightly thinner than a 2" axle. HD cut it down to 7' and it cost $33.