2" Crusher To 1 Hand Axle

Jeff Parker

Anyone that has a 2" crusher and is also training the 1 hand axle deadlift, how close are your numbers? I dont have an axle and will not have one before Gripmas so I need to get an idea of what I might open at. Im pulling up 155 in plates on the crusher right now, not sure how much the loading pin and crusher weigh.

The closest I have is a 4 foot section of 1.5" ID pipe. OD is slightly smaller than 2" and the pipe is shorter than the bar so not as much to balance there. I pulled about 195 on that but couldnt put any more plates on. It was close to my limit though.

Anyone that has a 2" crusher and is also training the 1 hand axle deadlift, how close are your numbers? I dont have an axle and will not have one before Gripmas so I need to get an idea of what I might open at. Im pulling up 155 in plates on the crusher right now, not sure how much the loading pin and crusher weigh.

The closest I have is a 4 foot section of 1.5" ID pipe. OD is slightly smaller than 2" and the pipe is shorter than the bar so not as much to balance there. I pulled about 195 on that but couldnt put any more plates on. It was close to my limit though.

Jeff - I don't know about the Crusher but 1 1/2" pipe is what I think most people are training on for Gripmas - it measures 1.9" versus the 2" IM Axle. In my experience the .1" difference equals maybe 5 pounds. So I would guess you could figure 190# "might" equal the 195# you did on your bar (which is a real big lift). You will be able to do warm ups on the actual Axle when you get here. For me and for most others I have talked to - it's ring finger on the center bar line for balance. The length isn't going to matter much.

Guest Bullitt

I've been using a 7' section of pipe similar to what you have. 1.5" inside / 1.9" outside. I pulled 195 too, and that was my max. I think that will give you a better aproximation of the axle than the crusher or RT will. It felt very similar to Chris's IM 2" axle. For comparison, I pulled 165 on Jedd's 2.25" axle toward the end of a hard workout. At Gripmas, I think I will start about 10 lbs lighter than my best consistent pipe axle lift. You should start 10 lbs heavier though. :laugh

I am training on the pipe that Chris describes. I think my best axle is about 10 pounds better than my best 2" crusher, 180 vs. 170. I think the ROM evens out the rolling action a little.

You could make a pipe DB super cheap.

I guess I will grab a section of pipe at the hardware store tomorow. Thanks for the replies.