Im Hardy Handshake, Sorinex G-rex, Psa Gripinator

gollan

Folks, I am interested in buying a plate loaded grip trainer. I would appreciate your input into the advantages and disadvantages of these units (and any others you care to mention):

Iron Mind Hardy Handshake, Sorinex G-Rex, PSA Gripinator

I am looking for the most beneficial machine to develop my crush grip, though more versatility is welcome. Let's assume cost is not a big factor. Delivery time, especially if it stretches to months, could be an issue. I couldn't find any link to the G-Rex from the Sorinex main page. I did find an unlinked (orphaned) page via a Google search. That makes me wonder if they are actually available.

I did a search on TheGripBoard about these machines and turned up surprisingly little. I did see that people are modifying the Hardy Handshake quite a bit.

I appreciate your taking the time to help out a newcommer to grip training. When I do finally get my machine I will be sure to post a full review.

Edited by gollan

Guest iron_addict

if you are looking for a maching to focus primarily on crushing strength the gripiantor is the way to go. unfortunately it is quite expensive. i have no idea what the shipping schedule is like now, but at one time the wait was pretty long. if you are willing to sacrifice on some of the extras you may be able to get one that is already in stock. this would cut down on the delivery time.

for all around grip strength the g-rex is the way to go. it is also reasonably priced compared to other similiar machines on the market. if you go to the sorinex page and click on new equipment you will find the g-rex. you may have to click the next icon on the bottom of the page a few times.

the hardy hand shake would be my last choice. it is the cheapest of the bunch, but it doesn't offer the versatility of the g-rex or the performance of the gripinator. although some one posted on here recently about modifying the hh by cutting the base plate under the handle, and doing the movement by laying on the bench underneath the hh apparatus.

i hope this will be helpful in making your decision. good luckwith your training.

So, let me get this straight, you're looking for a grip machine - and those are the only three choices you came up with? :mellow

I have the G-Rex. IMHO, it is NOT a machine for beginners, however.

I think the FIRST grip machine for you should be the simpliest one. The G-Rex and the PDA Gripinator would be considered "more advanced", and I think you should get your feet wet with a grip machine suited to a beginner (such as yourself).

Now, you're probably wondering WHY I say this. For the very reason, I don't want you to get stuck with a grip machine that is not only expensive, but.... you might not like it in the long run, OR you might not like grip training with it, thus your purchase and your time would be completely WASTED. And, we don't want THAT to happen, now do we? :happy

It is MY recommendation that you start with the basic grip machine. It is a simple plate-loaded grip machine, and it won't break your budget. You can go heavy on it, and once you find you actually like grip training, then you can move on to machines like the G-Rex or the Gripinator.

You can find just such a machine at New York Barbells. Here's the link:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

Thank you gentlemen for your advice.

So, let me get this straight, you're looking for a grip machine - and those are the only three choices you came up with
Good point. Perhaps most of the users on this forum are "advanced" so I only found mention of "advanced" equipment. Thanks for the link.

Gollan,

The Hardy Handshake is only worth getting if you plan on modifying it in my humble opinion..I haven't tried the other machines but they do look sweet!!!

Jon@han

I think I tried to explain this to you in another thread somewhere..? Actually what I should have said was do a search for postings on it. Another member has posted a picture of his HH after he modified it the same way..it's actually how I got the idea. I would also reccomend filing down the inside handle to increase the rom to one that is more similar to the grippers.

Jon@han

• 2 weeks later...

I have a G-Rex and also a Hammer Strength plate loaded grip machine. The G-Rex I think gives you more to work with as far as

variety of grips (crushing, piching & supprting) as well as the foot

plates that really allow you do heavy weight and forced reps. I have

only had the G-Rex for a couple of weeks and it works great! I can't

say enough about the quality of this piece and also the Big Squeeze

dumbell handles I also bought from Sorinex. Richard and Bert Sorin

have been great and their customer service is tops. The Hammer

Strength machine is more of a club type of machine and I maxed out

on it pretty quick. It's capacity is 7 plates and if you want to do one

hand gripping it's a little unstable nor does it offer a variety of grip

choices. I haven't tried a PDA Gripinator yet but I may sell my Hammer

unit and buy one of those. PDA's web site has so many neat items I

could spend a fortune (if I had one) with them.