Mucho Tough 1/2 Inch Stock From Carl

Tim71

I received a few pieces of some 1/2 inch HRS from Carl a week or so ago wanting my opinion on how tough it is. Well, I'll admit my braced bending is frustratingly off right now but boy this is some of the toughest 1/2 inch I've ever tackled.

Here's the pic with a 12 inch spike for comparison:

Tough stock

Had to use double wraps for this steel and even at that my hands felt it although part of that I'm sure is due to my layoff. I had cut one piece of it to 10 inches but I think I'll leave that alone for now.

If you notice the pic you can see a couple things. #1 the ends are cut by some kind of machine like a red nail. Never seen that on HRS before. #2 you can kinda tell the texture of this steel is rough. I have a mutant batch of 1/2 inch that is probably the only I've seen that's tougher than this steel and it's rough and really light colored to boot.

This steel had a really wide bend radius until the final couple inches of the crush. Also, unlike other HRS at 12 inches, this steel never felt like it "melted" once you got the sweep going. As a matter of fact, this steel had a suprisingly tough crush on it.

Nice batch of steel Carl!

Tim

Carl sent me a couple pieces of, I assume, the same thing. I know they must be crazy tough! I gave one about a 90% effort... and nothing. I will try again in a few weeks, but I'm saving my back for a powerlifting meet in a couple of weeks. At least that's my excuse.

Super strong bend, Tim!

Nice job Tim. Considering you and Eric did not have an easy time with that steel, i think it's safe to say that Carl is really on top of his game.

I received a few pieces of some 1/2 inch HRS from Carl a week or so ago wanting my opinion on how tough it is. Well, I'll admit my braced bending is frustratingly off right now but boy this is some of the toughest 1/2 inch I've ever tackled.

Here's the pic with a 12 inch spike for comparison:

Tough stock

Had to use double wraps for this steel and even at that my hands felt it although part of that I'm sure is due to my layoff. I had cut one piece of it to 10 inches but I think I'll leave that alone for now.

If you notice the pic you can see a couple things. #1 the ends are cut by some kind of machine like a red nail. Never seen that on HRS before. #2 you can kinda tell the texture of this steel is rough. I have a mutant batch of 1/2 inch that is probably the only I've seen that's tougher than this steel and it's rough and really light colored to boot.

This steel had a really wide bend radius until the final couple inches of the crush. Also, unlike other HRS at 12 inches, this steel never felt like it "melted" once you got the sweep going. As a matter of fact, this steel had a suprisingly tough crush on it.

Nice batch of steel Carl!

Tim

Great job on that piece of steel Tim!! I still have quite a few pieces if you want more. Also, if anyone else is interested in a few pieces just PM me.