Wrapping For Reverse Bend

easyWeight

Hi guys, I'm wondering how much wrap you have on the bar when you perform a reverse bend? I've watched some videos of Paul and David and looks like you guys have the wraps out as far as you'd have them for a DO bend. I've tried placing my wraps everywhere on the bar, but it always kinks right at the end of my top wrap. So in order to get a centered bend, I need to place the wraps pretty much touching either other in the middle of the bar. I'm certain this is making it much harder for me to complete the bend, but I'm not sure. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

With reverse bend when I use thick wraps I used to do that to gain advantage. So I could pull and push on the ends the same time as I was bending. With thin or normal size wraps I don't do that as much as it doesn't provide the same mechanical advantage.

that aside. I almost never got a bend completly centered regardles of how I wrapped or held it.

I wouldn't mind if my reverse bends were a little off center, but mine are an inch plus off. I tried with the bar just 2" on the bar, and that's where the bar kinked...2" from the end of the bar! On a 7" bar, that's pretty far off center!

Unequal pressure on the bar=off-center bends. Its no different than off-centerd DO, DU, etc. Try to equalize the strength on both sides, then you will get perfectly bent bars. That's how it was for me at least

Unequal pressure on the bar=off-center bends. Its no different than off-centerd DO, DU, etc. Try to equalize the strength on both sides, then you will get perfectly bent bars. That's how it was for me at least

I totally understand that for DO and DU, but reverse is a different creature for me. Where the bar kinks seems completely dependent on where my top wrap is, and doesn't seem to matter at all where the bottom one is. It's really weird.

I used to put the bottom pad (the one that was padding my thumb on the lever side) about 1/2" down from the center mark. The other pad would be about 1" offset from the center mark. That was about the only way my bends were centered. Probably has a little to do with strength imbalances and my tricky shoulder too.

I've noticed a trend with reverse bends coming out asymmetrical. Mine normally do. That's why I can pretty much bend at 6" whatever is difficult for me at 7". The bends come out more symmetrical the shorter the steel. And like Ben, the end of the bar grasped by my bottom hand becomes the shorter. Sometimes I will grab the bar with three fingers from the bottom hand, and only two from the top.

So, Ben and Eric, do you guys torque on the bar with your bottom hand then and keep the top one 'stationary'? Or are you are you trying to push both hands together?

So, Ben and Eric, do you guys torque on the bar with your bottom hand then and keep the top one 'stationary'? Or are you are you trying to push both hands together?

It's not a conscious effort, but I seem to torque with the top hand.

Darin i had / have the same problem. I figured it out on 6" so far but that is why i'm still having a problem with 7". For the 6" i put 2" in the wraps of my back hand (left for me) and 3" in my front hand because it always bends at the point where the bar pivots over my front hand. Of course i still can figure it out for 7" stock, but i will in time. Its hard to explain, i tried

Everyone does it a little differently simply because the individual strengths used are different. While seeing what others do will help you - a notebook will help you more. Measure and take notes when you bend, and before long you'll start to see what happens at each wrapping position and for each length.

I used to pull with the front hand and push with the rear hand to make the steel bend. To me it seemed logical to use both hands instead of just one.

Reverse is one style that I pretty much try to do "hardcore" I guess you could say. I use wraps that are probably 9/16 inch thick wrapped around a nail and keep my hands close together. I'm right handed and my right hand is the hand out furthest. Lot of times I'll get the first 20 degrees or so like that then I'll rotate it around and finish it on the left side or visa versa. I also stay pretty high the way Pat P originally did it. Of course all this has kept my PRs kinda low; on any given day my best effort is usually the 315 pound keystone cement coated nails.

Anyway, using that style my bends usually come out even. I'll experiment when I get home though and try some different things.

Tim