Josh Bigger -1, #3 - 0

AnimalCage

Never having seen an Ironmind gripper before, Josh Bigger took my #3 and gave it a convincing, leave-nothing-to-the-imagination close. First shot. No warm up. I was going to get a picture after the comp, but couldn't find him. No worries, his picture will be taken soon, and not by me....

Alan

Sorry i missed Roark and animal cage!I was sick as a dog.

I've had a sore throat and some respiratory problems for over a week.My throat started swelling up and hurt pretty bad..went to the ER and I have strep throat(plus bronchitis).They gave me a shot of penicillen for the strep throat and a shot for the pain :rolleyes . and a script for penicillen. The Iowa bosy didn't want to ride in the same car as me and talked me into staying home to rest..."you're contagious dude..stay away from us" :ohmy

They said i missed a great experience though!!....I'll give you guys a report from their point of view LATER....as Josh doesn't have a computer and the others aren't on the foum.I'll interview them :whistel

I'll say this- his arm/grip was at 85-90% -IF that.His Rolling Thunder(a good barometer)is down over 12% in last few work outs and the elbow is visibly swolen(hard to tell on that elbow :blink )and one finger is sort of numb..so what anyone saw at the snowman was what he brought that day but not - nearly full strength.........

He said after closing your #3 -he went looking for a #4 :laugh ......I don't want this to sound the wrong way but he didn't feel it was very difficult.However He said he overheard Schoonie saying YOUR #3 WAS a tough one?or a good one?...something like that...so he knows he closed a good one!.......he'd like to squash down on a number 4 before he starts any gripper work outs just to see what its like.

Again sorry i missed you and Roark and double sorry i missd the 'snowman'contest :cry

Tom,

I'm sorry you couldn't attend. Don't get too depressed as you interview them :( Yes, Schoonie has experience with different #3's and said mine was a tough one. That makes Josh's close all-the-more convincing :yikes

Alan "the Un-Cyborg" McCabe

Just to let everyone know, I won't lock threads on 3 closings unless it is by someone no one has heard of posting out of the blue (likely a troll). It's (closing a 3) obviously not near world record levels.

We all know who Josh is and it's not surprising at all given some of the pictures in the gallery.

It's too bad I didn't know you guys were looking for a #4. I had an old ne in my bag. Also had a old tough #3. The newer ones are NOT as tough. Travis has the 2 & 3 and he can rep his #2 for 11-12 reps & do my #2 for 3-5 reps. I think there's a bit of confusion on the #3 (animalcage's?) & I thought Schoonie told me he did one at the Snowman that someone had him try & said it was easier than his at home. I don't know how many he tried, though or who's gripper it was. With Schoonveld, he may have done 5 or 6 of them, Restraint is not one of Brian's strong points...lol. I do know he said he was lacking about 1/8" on his #3 at home. The best I've ever done with my #3 is down to about 1/4 inch, so regardless, I'm impressed by a close. It was impressive to see Josh pop the 172 Inch up. Pretty much effortless. The MB is a stopper, though. I think Josh would have done better if he hit the MB first & worked his way down instead of going up from the 152. It doesn't take long to fry your hands on the thick handles.

Curses!!!!!! Josh REALLY wanted to try one. I would have enjoyed simply seeing one. The #4 would not only laugh at me, but as soon as I touched it, it would start expanding beyond it's normal rest position just to humiliate me.

Alan

John,

Talked to Josh a bit...said he had a GREAT time...he flipped your tire too.Said you should leave the steel wheel in it..."like they do on the farm". :D He was kidding -but it should be a good event for him -in a year or so when- as he puts it"I'm strong enough"- he's very explosive and was able to slam dunk a basketball...as a 5 10",220lb freshman.... in highschool... and ran on the 4X100 relay as a 240lb JR in high school.He might do a little better if he'd quit smoking cigarettes too :blush ha..ha..ha..that may cost me my life.He is SOLD on strongman.Loved the contest and the friendly atmosphere..."a lot like farm work"

Said strongman is next for him AFTER he closes the no.4 and lifts the Millenium and gets 315("7 plates will look cool on that sucker") on the Rolling thunder(he's further along than the pic.in the gallery indicates).He would also like to get his core lifts up in the gym.He is already VERY good at partial deads and trap bar off the floor(after just 6 months of training).also-WHEN compareing him to others that have lifted the INCH and closed the number three-first time- keep in mind he's only been lifting weights for 6 months...and has a very tender/injured elbow.

Josh is NOT !!!known for restraint either-he will try too much..too soon. BUT even he was amazed!! at Schoonvelds attack on the Millenium.He thought Schoonveld(well everybody actually!)was a real inspiration because he heard Schoonveld has some bad discs(injured)in his back?!And just was a 'hell of a nice guy'

About the number three that Josh closed...??i don't think it would make much difference?it was very easy for him and he doesn't know anything about setting or what not.It was first try.Who knows?

He wants to try a number 4 without any training..and see what its all about.Also Paul said that Schoonveld told 'animal cage' that IT was a...very good/tough? number three..he was standing there too.Again it doesn't matter..it was all in fun...not trying to get certified..in fact :cool Josh heard Schoonveld say that even though Strossen witnessed Schoonveld closing the #3! that-he(schoonveld) does NOT want to be cetified until he can close the #4.Josh thought that was a cool idea :whistel also.

Animal cage,

yes he really wanted to try a #4...he was greatful to have the chance to close your #3.Paul said i missed an opportunity "of a lifetime"to be side by side with some big boys and that is wasn't like some of the bigger contests I'd been to.i.e.he said the guys were just milling around and schoonvled was all over the place and that John Beatty was hammering nails and turning a screwdriver until the show started..also said Big Tony was hilarious...and it was great for HIM to have talked to Tony again.

ALSO Paul said That BIG Tony IS going after the IFSA deadlift record(I guess he missed at 1025 at the snowman?)THIS year.

Big TONY said somehting like "this year or never"VERY cool :cool Hope he gets it..Tony said he'd lose some weight too....go down to 300-305?BW to do it.

Both Tony and Abdul dl'ed the 905 lbs. The weights were increasing in 40lb increments, but they both decided they wanted 1025 for their final attempt. They both missed.

Schoonveld said he repped a #3 10 times in front of Strossen. The ease with which he slammed my #3 shut leaves little to doubt there.

Tom & all-

I really appreciate the positive reviews of the Snowman. I think it's just those type of reasons that the Snowman has been the type of show it is for the last 4 years. The first year was actually outside in mid Jan. I want it to be small & casual. A fun get together meet to start the season right. The way Strongman started out. Guys having a good time & lifting for the joy of it. It wouldn't be near as fun if Schoonveld wasn't being a smartass all the time & giving everyone a hard time. Tony joking about how old he is & how much he hates anything with "reps" involved. The new guys getting tips from the name guys & not being made to feel like they're any different from the top guys. Schoonie's thunderous burps rattling across a semi quiet room & everyone cracking up. Everyone backing each other & helping the events run smoothly.

And I'm always trying to get something finished at the last minute...lol

John,

You did not credit yourself and Travis for the behind the

scenes efforts you contributed. So I will, well done- and

Willie did a splendid MC job.

Both John and Travis lifted the stones so fast it appeared as though short range meteors were going through the room!

Schoonie is as gentle as he is powerful; more men of his ilk and personality and the sport would gather momentum. I sat next to his wife and visited with her,

and Brian would come over to speak to her now and then

and his gentle side was revealed in the manner in which

they spoke. I have a feeling in a tug of war on an issue,

she would win, if you hear what the Roark is cookin' :D

Chris,

If I can't have his money, looks, or a physique like his,

I'll unabashedly steal his tagline!

Back to the Snowman- pencil it in for next year- a fun day!

I drove to St Louis in July for the Nationals. It was blistering hot on that asphalt parking lot. There were fences to separate the competitors from the spectators. A look but don't touch type atmosphere. And I suppose it has to be that way. These goliaths are competing to see who represents our country against the strongest men in the world. That is focus time.

The venue at the snowman couldn't have been more opposite. It was freezing cold and snowing, but at least we were inside. The only fences were two little ones to give the spare equipment a place to rest. There was laughter and mingling. Very competitive, but very informal as well.

Kudos, John and Travis, on a great time. I would much rather attend the Snowman and watch the Nationals in my air conditioned living room. Best of luck with the new dumbbell line!

Alan

I've been down to most of the strongmen contests down in St.Louis(even Jim Davis's first contest in 98 and even Strongest Man Alive)-and some other Midwest pro shows-and the way the guys described the "Snowman"was a very different sort of affair?very 'relaxed' yet high level performances?I've sort of grown up watching these things....and I'm sorry i missed it.Up close and personal...

Josh is 'sold' on strongman(because of this experience) BUT wants to bring up ALL his lifts first -'"i want a BETTER grip and the power to back it up" ;) so that gives us another year or so?(I've been working towards this goal for 5 years now..from a body weight of about 195 up to now about 260) I've always had strongman as part of my long range game plan...I'll be the working mans- anybody can do it -strongman..he'll be the freak..both of us drugfree.

Again sorry i missed Roark and john and Animal Cage from this forum.Was there anybody else from the forum there????