Snowman Challenge '03

AnimalCage

Well, well! What an exciting day! First, let me say that I have film in 1 hour development as I type, and hope to get some pictures on my website by tomorrow at the latest.

Arrived early, met Mr Roark, plus John Beatty and Travis from TK Wendl's as they were wheeling in the three DB's. Schoonie was there early, as well as a few others. Joe Roark is a gentleman and a pleasant conversationalist. Schoonie is a clown. In the best sense, of course. The atmosphere was uncomparable to the NASM in St Louis. There, it was walls. Here, it was rubbing elbows with the big guys.

In walked Paul, Josh Bigger, and Jack from Iowa. Unfortunately, Tom of Iowa 2 had a bad case of strep and couldn't make it. I had my grippers, of course, but I'll put that in another thread so this one won't be locked. Let me just say that Josh is everything that Tom says he is. The future looks bright in Iowa. It was great meeting them.

Talked with Schoonie for a bit. He PLAYED with my grippers. No, I didn't have a #4. I met some of the other contestants, and played with the 800 lb tire.

Time for the DB's. Schoonie became possessed. He tried the MDB in every possible position except standing on his head. He tilted it up on a box, tried it on the box, then stood the box on end and tried it there. For one brief, shining moment he had some success. The box was 10" high, and the rubber mat he was on was .75", measured by yours truly, so the tilted height difference bell-to-bell was 9 1/4". At one point, he lifted the end off the floor, then brought the other end off the box, and controlled it for about 2 seconds before he dropped it. I hope my picture of that came out. I was at a very bad angle.

Josh deadlifted the 172 IDB with little apparent effort. The MDB stuck to the ground.

Joe took a wonderful picture of me not moving the 156 IDB.

The main events were exciting! I don't think Schoonie was there to compete. He was a man on a mission, and after 30 attempts on the MDB, he fizzled. Plus, he's got numerous bad disks... He does, however, have some future goals in mind that might involve grippers.

Look out for 19 yo Rob Hayes. He won the amateur portion easily. Travis looked amazing, and two others tied for an amateur record in the silver dollar lift at 825 lbs.

The pros in attendance were Brian Schoonveld, John Beatty, Big Tony Scrivens, and Abdul. Last name for Abdul, anyone? John tore up the stage and took 1st, Abdul was amazing, Brian and Tony just looked tired.

I bought a T-shirt and a 2.5" dumbell. I'll let y'all know when the pics are available.

Alan

V Cool post. Can I use the images on the website? Schoonies 30 attempts is, from experience, utter madness. I have never lifted it more than three times in one session and even with attempts never more than 5-6 times. It drains you. The only person I know that gets better the more they try, or so it seemed, was Chris James when at his strongest and heaviest.

I am currently able to pull it, as per Roarks suggestion, with one end on 2 books - 1 of 2" and one of 1". The other end is on a 3/4" rubber mat (protects the floor).

Steve,

Brian is pleasantly obsessed with the MB. He came to

Urbana to try it- not to compete in the Snowman- because of two bulging disks.

I chatted with his wife, a most pleasant lady, and she told

me that he speaks often about defeating the MB, and is

on a mission about it.

As you say, fatigue sets in with the early attempts, but knowing Brian the little bit that I do, he uses the

failures as training reps. He is truly driven to accomplish

the feat.

One other comment: Jumping from the Inch to the MB is

a 55-60 lb jump, which is not a next day matter. We need

a 200 lb size!

And, may I say, without adding any sarcasm, I wish you

the best of strength and success in your attempt to be the first to deadlift your bell.

Joe, you both owning a millennium bell and having seen some of the strongest men in the world fail to lift it, does that not cause you to doubt what is claimed for Apollon with a similar implement?

OldGuy,

No doubt from me about Apollon in regard to the MB-or

the version he had.

Just as only a few men (relatively speaking) can fully one

hand deadlift the Inch 172, though Mark Henry has proven that it can be taken from floor to overhead, so the fact that no one can deadlift the MB does not dissuade my belief in Apollon's abilities with such a bell.

If modern strongmen had trained as long and hard on

thick bell as had Apollon, and had his hand size, there

would be people succeeding. Keep in mind that Apollon deliberately choose thick bar as a screening process to

weed out those who would challenge him.

Mark Henry mastered the Inch 172 in a few months. If

he trains for the MB, he may have a chance at deadlifting it.

RSW: right, not many witnesses to Apollon's feat, but among those witnesses were some of the men who best

understood how to judge a lift.