Shiney Attempt....

MitchSA

I decided to try a Shiney bastard today, I used IMP gave everything I had but could do no better than a 10 deg kink, maybe i just bent to much last week, +30 horse shoes etc, mabye I was tired but maybe Im just not strong enough yet...

So I though I'd share this... im off my RED nail high now and once again back down to earth...

here is the pic

http://terencemitchell.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-attempt-at-shiney-bastard.html

VERY nice Mitch! A shiny in IM pads is no joke. No shame in "only" a 10 degree kink ;) You'll have it soon enough!

I decided to try a Shiney bastard today, I used IMP gave everything I had but could do no better than a 10 deg kink, maybe i just bent to much last week, +30 horse shoes etc, mabye I was tired but maybe Im just not strong enough yet...

So I though I'd share this... im off my RED nail high now and once again back down to earth...

here is the pic

http://terencemitchell.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-attempt-at-shiney-bastard.html

The shiny is tough Mitch...I was very cocky during the spring when I worked up to a shiny in IMPs (and no, not the previous soft shinys), got my FBBC cert in, and confidently started to chase the big shiny. BOOOOOOM! I hit the wall, and suddenly couldn't move even a red in leathers. I guess my CNS was completely deep-fried from all heavy-duty isos with IMPs and also too much volume on the crush. It's not until now that I'm starting to feel stronger than may -09.

I guess the wisdom is: Don't try to break PRs all the time, back off now and then. I would also suggest that you try some more wraps the first time you hit the stuff beyond the red/bastard, at least to help you find where you're most challenged by the shiny.

Rock on, you'll get it sooner than you think :)

Don't sweat it at all Mitch. Those new Shinies are pretty wicked! 10 degrees in IMPs is great. If you can kink it, you have the strength. Rest up and it will fall to the wayside.

Don't sweat it at all Mitch. Those new Shinies are pretty wicked! 10 degrees in IMPs is great. If you can kink it, you have the strength. Rest up and it will fall to the wayside.

When was the "easy" batch of shinies distributed, and when did the "harder" batch circulate??? And what is the calibration differences between the two??

Nice work mitch. If you can move it, you can bend it

When was the "easy" batch of shinies distributed, and when did the "harder" batch circulate??? And what is the calibration differences between the two??

Personaly I think they are all over the map. Varying even within the very same batch. The hardest shinyies are the very old ones from 1.5-2 years ago. since then they have just been easy or easier. I don't trust stainless at all anymore. I bend them for fun. But not for when I want progressive stock wich I know how strong it is. Tried a bunch of shinies a couple of weeks ago. Some of them went in 10 seconds, some in about a minute, some in 3-5 minutes and some took a few tries to bend completely. They are unrealiable

Personaly I think they are all over the map. Varying even within the very same batch. The hardest shinyies are the very old ones from 1.5-2 years ago. since then they have just been easy or easier. I don't trust stainless at all anymore. I bend them for fun. But not for when I want progressive stock wich I know how strong it is. Tried a bunch of shinies a couple of weeks ago. Some of them went in 10 seconds, some in about a minute, some in 3-5 minutes and some took a few tries to bend completely. They are unrealiable

I agree David! Shinies are such "bastards" anyway, who needs themw00t.gif

I agree with the unreliability of the Shinies now. I almost think the last order I got were a mixture of the same batch I got earlier this year, which were all easy (I think Mike caled them at 420) and some from a new batch. From what I've bent out of my last order, they're either super easy like the 420s, or super hard...like significantly harder than the Bastard (previous?).

David, buy some local stainless. That's what I did.

Great bending in Ironmind pads! Kinking a Shiny at all is a big feat man. You'll finish one off soon I'm sure. I second the recommendation to try out some thicker pads to "get used to" moving the bar without the pain tolerance issues of the thin pads.

Thank you all for the motivating words and advice!

In hindsight I was foolish to attempt another PR after a whole week of PRs the week before, but excitement got the better of me :upsidedwn

BTW that particular shiney is a very old one, When I first 'met' Adam glass 2 years ago he sent a little package to me so I could try and understand more about what he does, this particular shiney was in there, since then Ive just kept these things as items of wonder in my gym desk draw, I completely forgot about the shiney until I did a spring clean..

I wil order more shiney's this week and see what happens!

All stock can be all over the place until you find a decent supplier and start calibrating your own.

Nice work with the Shiny Mitch if it was off Adam it will be reliable stock.

agree with Ben try it with the thicker or double wraps and see then make it a point of destroying it in the IMPs also.

well done mitch ...if u try a different shiny u may bend it under 2":-)

"Shiney" are like womans .. they vary but the material its still the same ... :yikes

Thank you all for the motivating words and advice!

In hindsight I was foolish to attempt another PR after a whole week of PRs the week before, but excitement got the better of me :upsidedwn

BTW that particular shiney is a very old one, When I first 'met' Adam glass 2 years ago he sent a little package to me so I could try and understand more about what he does, this particular shiney was in there, since then Ive just kept these things as items of wonder in my gym desk draw, I completely forgot about the shiney until I did a spring clean..

I wil order more shiney's this week and see what happens!

If you bent one of thoose shinies to 10 degrees, The current will just fold for you and you will wonder what the big deal was. You are already a strong bender

Mitch,

Remember not to get too caught up on the high DO(folding technique) too much. Incorporate Slim, Heslep, Reverse, etc as well. My big mistake was focusing too much on the high DO technique. I basically no longer bend DO, and have chosen to use the other styles instead. Remember, you will do great with the other styles because you already have a tremendous wrist stength(20 lbs levering for repswacko.gifblink.gif ), and these styles require more of it. So my 2cents is go for variation.

Edited by naturalstrength

Mitch,

Remember not to get too caught up on the high DO(folding technique) too much. Incorporate Slim, Heslep, Reverse, etc as well. My big mistake was focusing too much on the high DO technique. I basically no longer bend DO, and have chosen to use the other styles instead. Remember, you will do great with the other styles because you already have a tremendous wrist stength(20 lbs levering for repswacko.gifblink.gif ), and these styles require more of it. So my 2cents is go for variation.

This post sums it all up well said Carlbuttrock.gif

Thank you Carl, Gazza and David

Hugo - haha! bending steel is difficult but dealing with women is IMPOSSIBLE!

Carl you are 100% correct! I promised myself that after my RED cert I was going to work hard on Reverse, Ive just received 20 6" 1/4 grade 8's from FBBC to work on my Reverse technique. After watching your videos Im now very intersted in training "slim style"

Thank you all for your advise and I will be sure to follow it!

Edited by MitchSA