5/16 Carriage Bolt

astrojetred

Hi everyone. This is my first carriage bolt. I also bought a bunch of 60D nails, and was wondering if it was the same as a 60 penny nail? Anyway, I'd like to know how hard a 5/16 carriage bolt is, and where it puts me, bending strength wise. I have a 3/8 carriage bolt that I'll be attempting later on. Thank you for any advice.

EDIT: 6" btw

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=9290

Edited by Puller

Nice job on the bending, what style did you use?

As far as the difficulty of the carraige bolt, they are very hard to figure out. I'm assuming it was a grade 2 and that steel varies alot. You may want to try a 1/4" Grade 5 (3 dashes on the top of the head) hex head bolt and see how that goes. That bolt you did could be tough, could be easy and the only way to really tell is to calibrate one from the same batch.

The 6" nail varies also. And 60 D & 60 penny are the same. The box i have calibrate at 320 lbs just to give you a rough idea where they could be.

Nice job on the bending, what style did you use?

As far as the difficulty of the carraige bolt, they are very hard to figure out. I'm assuming it was a grade 2 and that steel varies alot. You may want to try a 1/4" Grade 5 (3 dashes on the top of the head) hex head bolt and see how that goes. That bolt you did could be tough, could be easy and the only way to really tell is to calibrate one from the same batch.

The 6" nail varies also. And 60 D & 60 penny are the same. The box i have calibrate at 320 lbs just to give you a rough idea where they could be.

The top of the bolt says B G A, if the helps.

60D nail calibration results = from 240 to 480. And everything in between. :tongue Most seem to be somewhere near 300.

And congrats on your bends!

I'm going to have to do some research on all this calibration stuff. I have no idea how to calibrate a gripper or a nail/bolt

I'm going to have to do some research on all this calibration stuff. I have no idea how to calibrate a gripper or a nail/bolt

This link below will give you the basic's about what is stronger than what. Remember you can not compare different length stock. So if you can bend a pc of steel approx 400 lbs at 6" long, do not assume you can do a 400 lb pc at 7". Length makes a big difference in steel bending.

Also, CRS steel crushes the easiest, and Grade 5's, 8's, hex's & brass are tougher to crush to 2". All the calibrations on the list are the weight it took to get that pc os metal kinked to 30 degrees. But also keep in mind that the numbers are only good for that exact batch of metal. That is why some of the pcs have different numbers listed next to them.

A bolt with no markings on the top is a grade 2, 3 dashes on the top is a grade 5 and 5 dashes on th etop is a grade 8 (and the grade 8 may also be a golden color) The letters on the bolt are just a manufacture brand. When the list says "triangle brand" there is an actual triangle on the head.

That should give you enough to get get started, have fun.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

This link below will give you the basic's about what is stronger than what. Remember you can not compare different length stock. So if you can bend a pc of steel approx 400 lbs at 6" long, do not assume you can do a 400 lb pc at 7". Length makes a big difference in steel bending.

Also, CRS steel crushes the easiest, and Grade 5's, 8's, hex's & brass are tougher to crush to 2". All the calibrations on the list are the weight it took to get that pc os metal kinked to 30 degrees. But also keep in mind that the numbers are only good for that exact batch of metal. That is why some of the pcs have different numbers listed next to them.

A bolt with no markings on the top is a grade 2, 3 dashes on the top is a grade 5 and 5 dashes on th etop is a grade 8 (and the grade 8 may also be a golden color) The letters on the bolt are just a manufacture brand. When the list says "triangle brand" there is an actual triangle on the head.

That should give you enough to get get started, have fun.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

There are no dashes or markings or anything on my bolts, save for the letters. I even asked the hardware guy how to tell. He didn't know, either. Care to post a pic?

This link shows the different markings on bolts. No markings are Grade 2's (easiest) 3 dashes is a Grade 5 and so on.

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moodledata_shared/cdx%20etextbook/dswmedia/images/fourbolts.jpg

Thank you for the clairity. It appears I have been bending grade 2. Here's my latest super easy grade 2 bending, haha.

13438_105719932771795_100000013677114_148564_6320712_n.jpg