Horse Shoe Bending Thoughts

MitchSA

For the last 2 weeks ive bent many many shoes, from easy DC#2 to some tough #4's

Funny enough after Zach advised me to find some silly easy shoes to find out exactly where i should be trying to exert force, my shoe bending is really taking off.

I'm not sure where other people feel a heavy shoe bend but my upper back and lats get a thrashing form it, come to think of it when i do anything that requires any physical effort whatsoever my lats seem to run the whole opperation???

ive done very heavy weighted pullups for years and i find the upper back/lat contraction during pullups very similar to shoe bending.

another thing that gets worked to the max is my RH side obliques! Another thing is that I have ridiculously long arms so its almost impossible to try and keep them straight and try and 'lock out' my tri's.

In the middle of the meaty thumb pad on my driving hand is where the leg really jabs! I crank my wrist and really try wedge the leg into the soft tissue of this area. Even though its fairly painfull on tougher shoes I find im better with wraps as thin as possible, I like to use a single leather on the support leg ( left hand) and a tight IM wrap on the driving leg.

even though im very new to shoes I hope this info can make a bit of sense for others who are also new to shoe bending.

We came to a consensus awhile back that a strong core + solid techinque = a big shoe bend. We noticed that those who had decent deadlifts and pressing power were better at shoes than those without decent strength in those areas.

When I would do tough shoes, I would definitely feel it all over the side of my torso I was bending shoes on. When I was getting good at bending in general, shoes especially, I was doing weighted pullups, heavy benching and lots of heavy deadlifts. I don't think it was a coincidence.

The less padding you have, the easier a shoe bend is, aside from the pain that is. The force transfer is much more direct.

Intresting topic! Im also new to shoebending and I can agree with the core strength involved in a bend. I feel that it's also important to switch to the different positions as fast as possible so the shoe doesnt "freeze".

For you experienced horseshoebenders. How much can horseshoes vary in strength, let say a DC2 shoe?

Intresting topic! Im also new to shoebending and I can agree with the core strength involved in a bend. I feel that it's also important to switch to the different positions as fast as possible so the shoe doesnt "freeze".

For you experienced horseshoebenders. How much can horseshoes vary in strength, let say a DC2 shoe?

About as much as any one brand of steel, I guess. I read that Diamond uses four different suppliers for their steel. I've done a St. Croix Plain Regualar #3 a while back when I wasn't quite as strong as I am now, and yet I have a couple of these that I recently purchased that I've only managed a 45 degree bend with. That's an example of the most variance I've discovered personally. So, not huge, but it's definitely noticeable.

Eric you horse shoe and surprise 5/16 6" bolt is on its way, I can't wait to hear what you think of these items...