Warm-up For Grip Events

ewokhugo

Wich exercices are used to warm up the body before any grip comp?

I see some guys using KB but i am curious to know if u guys bring your own grippers to warm up etc ...

Guest Bullitt

I see some guys using KB but i am curious to know if u guys bring your own grippers to warm up etc ...

I bring a couple easy grippers (HG200 & 250) I will usually give those a few squeezes and do some kettlebell swings or something to get the blood pumping. If a squat rack were available, i would do a couple sets of squats.

How do you warm up for a workout? For me its about getting loose and then firing up the CNS. I warm up with a broomstick and some plyos generally.

For grip the best warmup for me is speedbag for 50-100 reps per set, 2-3 sets working different styles/moves. Then I just a couple high rep sledge twists sets and if I'm doing grippers, some speed closes on the ISG 1,3 setting.

I've tried squats, hangcleans, etc.. as a warmup for grip and it works alright for pinch but it destroys my CNS for grippers.

I have an unusual approach to warmups, but I prefer sinking into a regal horse stance and then holding that position for a few minutes. As the seconds tick by I perform - at first slow, then eventually rapid fire - reverse punches while performing waist twists - all while in a deep horse stance. I do this in private so nobody sees. All anyone sees of my warmup is the more normal singles on easy to moderate grippers and lots of arm, wrist, and shoulder stretching.

For a good grip workout, I would say a couple of medium-heavy sets of squats or deadlifts. It shouldn't take too much time or be too hard.

Thanks guys ... i mean warm-up for grip events ..lets say u are competing at the nationals, what u will do? If squats are so good, bring then to grip comp! :yikes

At Nationals this year I watched and everyone was doing something a little different - same at Chads competition. Lots of people did a few squats (some kind of heavy - most moderate) - most did some stretches - I think everyone did a few easy grippers (grippers were the first event). I did my broomstick breathing exercises like I do every day of the year - then some plyos. Lots of people were doing different grip moves with lighter weight to warm up and wake up their hands and loosen up. Drinking coffee, energy drinks etc. Heck - just shaking hands with all those guys was enough for a warm up for me - I was glad to survive that.

Edited by climber511

I squat before training grip. I always plan my training such that my axle and pinch work is done after squats.

I used to be alot better after squatting and such, but I have found I can do just as good now without other heavy training. Usually grippers are done in between sets of bench pressing, so I guess that is a warmup. I also make sure to keep my hands warm- Especially if I get alot of adrenaline going through my system, hands get cold fast.

Usually grippers are done first, and I take lots of warmup attempts. I usually spend 20-30 minutes working up to harder grippers.

I bring a couple easy grippers (HG200 & 250) I will usually give those a few squeezes and do some kettlebell swings or something to get the blood pumping. If a squat rack were available, i would do a couple sets of squats.

Can't wait till the 250's become asy. I warm up with the 150's.

Guest Bullitt

Can't wait till the 250's become asy. I warm up with the 150's.

Put the work in and it will happen before you know it. As of this February, the 250 was the hardest gripper I had ever closed.

For me a jog, or 20rep squats are a good start followed by KB or plate swings then easy gripper warmups trying to clack the handles so hard the aluminum cracks. Seems to work consistently for me.

- Aaron

Great training types ... I believe Rex's idea must be the coolest of all ,but looks expensive to me!

Great training types ... I believe Rex's idea must be the coolest of all ,but looks expensive to me!

Hugo, you are right, it is very expensive, but probably necessary for anyone wanting to pinch six dimes.

-Rex

Rex,

What can i say?

U have more experience on this than me. I guess all the fuel necessary to drive 14 hours worth the reward.

Its possible to drive lets say 24 hours non.stop and lift 7 dimes??Ever tried this?

Edited by ewokhugo